Is preshaving oil really needed to be applied before shaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I don't use pre-shave oils either. I do, however, use Proraso Pre-Shave Cream.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
m guthner

Post by m guthner »

I wanted to try the skin food but didnt want to pay the price. I got 16oz of pure vegetable glycerin for $5. Mixed a few drops in my mug and was rewarded with very rich and moist cream.
canman23

Post by canman23 »

I shave in the shower (for now cause my straights are on the way) and I dont use a pre shave oil. I have in the past just to try them out and really didnt notice a difference one way or the other. Pre shave oil makes it hard to stretch my skin. What kind of facial clearner are you using? If you are using anything to exfoliate your face before shaving I would stop doing that. You exfoliate when you shave.
dirtdude

Post by dirtdude »

I think that if you are using a shave cream or shave soap that requires a pre-shave treatment you should find an another cream or soap. It does not make sense to me to pay $25 to $30 for a tub of shave cream and then have to use a pre-shave treatment.
Dennis
Crag

Post by Crag »

The only place that I use oil is on my jawline. The reason is that it just makes shaving this area easier. Other than that I'd say "no" don't use a pre-shave oil.
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I think that if you are using a shave cream or shave soap that requires a pre-shave treatment you should find an another cream or soap. It does not make sense to me to pay $25 to $30 for a tub of shave cream and then have to use a pre-shave treatment.
You don't have to use pre-shave oil, I personally use it because it works for me. My shaves and skin are so much better for using it. I use some of the best creams available and they still dry my skin to a greater or lesser degree ( but a lot less than soaps ), so oil works for me.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.