Had my first DE shave today!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Rocky_Marciano

Had my first DE shave today!

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

Set up:
Superspeed
US personna
proraso
tweezerman
aqua velva
gillette asb

I did two wtg passes, my first pass hardly got much, then I did an across the grain and a final touch up. I used little to no pressure and tried to keep the blade angle at 30, I only got one tiny nick that cleared up with cold water. Not the closest shave i've had, but definetly one of the most comfortable ones. Who'd a thought 1 blade is better than 2?? And the sound of the hairs popping off is wonderfull. DE= :)
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Yeah, that sound is very nice, isn't it? It's a nostalgic sound, like a push mower on a weekend morning.

Congratulations, and you'll find your technique quickly evolves and improves. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you order the sampler packet of blades from LetterK so you can try various blades and find the one(s) that work best for you.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

Thanks leisureguy, I just got done reading your comprehensive guide to DE shaving, ahh yes push mowers sound great cutting ny grass, but i tried that when i moved to houston and on crab grass you go about two feet before your relize "this is impossible!". That sampler is sorta pricey, im just gonna finish these personna's then try out the feathers that fallingwickets sent me. Keeping the angle right was the hardest part, and I also relized that you need some light pressure as opposed to no pressure at all too. DE shaving is the real deal.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

Gillette Superspeed
personna's
palmolive shave cream
omega boar

witchhazel
aqua velva
gillette asb

This was my second DE shave, and already I felt comfortable using it, letting the weight of the razor do the work is a lot more comfortable than try to use my atra and avoid nicks and razor burn. I had a really good shave with the DE, not bbs, as I'm not doing atg passes, but pretty damn close, but that wasn't what I was shooting for. I didn't get a single nick, and when I put on the aqua velva I wondered, "wheres my alcohol burn???" and then I realized the alcohol burn happened more in places where I used to overshave. I know personna's are the only blade I've tried, but so far they work and feel about 10 times better than the target atra blades I was using, and at only 15 cents a piece.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rocky_Marciano wrote:DE shaving is the real deal.
Yes it is. DE shaving is so nice when everything falls together in all the right places to make that great shave. I second the LetterK sampler pack as well. Oh, and congrats on your good shave! You'll get closer shaves as time goes by and your technique improves. Fear not.