Problems lathering with the omega brush

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Rocky_Marciano

Problems lathering with the omega brush

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I've been using this thing on and off for about a month now, and I have a few problems lathering with it. At first I had problems creating the lather, but that was just figuring out the water ratios and putting in some more elbow grease into it. But now I just can't get a staying lather out of it, palmolive, proraso, williams... they all created good lather (most of the time) but then when I tried to brush it into my face, it just starts turning to water, but it looks great if i just paint it on.. I don't get it, anybody have any advice to help me out? Is there some trick in this brush that you have to use it a lot different than other brushes? I didnt have any problems with my surrey or tweezerman. I feel ashamed of not being able to get this brush to lather as this is an italian brush and im italian. :lol: The thing is well made thats for sure though, I think im just doing something wrong, because everyone gets great results from this brush. Oh and the only time it does seem to work is if i make superlather with palmolive and williams.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Rocky, try using less water and more soap.
Richard
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

rustyblade wrote:Rocky, try using less water and more soap.
Agreed. I'd also try using a slight pumping motion and swirling clockwise then counter clockwise. :)
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Sounds like you might have a tad too much water - how much cream are you using? Try a a large almond size dollop of cream and flicking out more water before you later up. If you find the mix too thick add a bit of water to get the right consistency.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I used about a 1 inch line of palmolive. I then soaked soaked the omega, set it on its end until excess water drained out, then I held it bristle down over the sink and gave one light flick, a few drops came out. And thats what I usually do, i'll try using a harder flick. I'll try that and see report my new results. Am I correct in that if the bristles of the brush aren't completely covered in lather (its not all held together) that you need more water? Also I am pumping it, and mixing it pretty fast and aggressively for about a minute.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Blue As A Jewel

Try doubling the amount of cream. I have a similar problem with Musgo Real -

You sound ok on flicking the water out; add about 1/2 tsp of water at a time and mix it up, pumping and swirling.
- Ravi -

JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I know this might be considered sacrilege to some, but try lathering it directly on your face. This is what I do with the Proraso brush and get a wonderful lather every time. Wash your face, leave it wet, soak the brush in hot water and don't get too vigorous with shaking it out, the lather making process generally takes care of itself...squeeze about a half inch or inch worth of cream onto the side or tips of the bristles, and start swirling the brush in circles on your face. For me this creates a rich luxurious lather that rapidly turns into the thick, heavy paint-like lather that I prefer.
Give it a try; for me this is the most rewarding way to lather with these.
John P.
Horse Shaver

Post by Horse Shaver »

I tend to agree with Ravi...sounds to me like you need more cream.
Jeff

I'm just here for the free beer!
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I lathered some proraso soap with it last night, I soaked the brush and gave it a medium hard flick, hard enough where there was a good amount of water that came out. I lathered like normal, really trying to get the lather pumped up into the brush, and I made sure my face was real dry first. Both of those helped with the "disappearing lather", i'm definetly was using more cream than I normally would but got the same amount of lather as with other brushes.
Blue As A Jewel

I first started off with a cheapo boar brush and Wilkinson Sword shave soap - I couldn't get anything from that brush. I then received a more expensive and larger boar brush (Acca Kappa) and got better lather but still not great.

My first badger brush was my Vulifix 2235 - the difference was night and day in terms of quality of lather - I was astounded. Still remember tossing the Acca Kappa in the garbage....I had found my brush!! (yeah right).

I know there are guys that can get good performance from their boar brushes, I'm unfortunately, just not one of them.
- Ravi -

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Rocky -

If you have hard water, it could contribute to the problem. It could make lather more difficult to produce, and it could cause lather to break down more quickly, as well.

We have hard water here, and I was over at the house of a friend that I had infected with an interest in wet shaving. I was showing him how to whip up lather with the Proraso/Omega boar brush, and it seemed more difficult at his house. I have a water softener, and my impression is that it's a big plus when it comes to making lather.

If you do have hard water, I think your best bet would be to use more cream, as you're doing. Has that resulted in a lather that you're satisfied with?

I find I still like to use my Proraso boar brush with Proraso soap. They are a well matched pair. I use badger brushes with my other soaps and creams, though.

- Murray
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

If you live in an area with hard water, try using DISTILLED water to make your lather. Not bottled water, but distilled.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Rocky

If you can, buy yourself a new brush. I've seen some really good deals here on the trading forum, and if you want new new, talk to Jim at vintage blade. Its worth the money and something that will last you a long long time. My first brush went 15 years and it was the cheapest badger one could buy back then. The only reason I stopped using ot was because I bought the Shedda here on SMF. Seriously, forego a pizza or two and walla, the money is there for a lifetime of good lathering.

Clive