Shave Was Smooth Again Today

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
sbacher

Shave Was Smooth Again Today

Post by sbacher »

Yesterday I posted about some problems I was having the last few days with my shaves seeming dry and rough. I received a lot of suggestions and gave a few of them a try this evening. Here is what I did:

1. I simply showered without exfoliating.

2. I used hair conditioner on my face in the shower.

3. I reverted to the Proraso cream instead of the KMF.

4. Made 1 pass WTG, 1 XTG, 1 ATG, and some slight blade-buffing on my jawline and neck.

5. I turned my Merkur Futur back from 2 to 1.

The resulting shave was fantastic! Very smooth, no pulling, and no irritation. I followed up the shave with some Thayer's Witch Hazel and some Aqua Velva. I then finished everything up with the Nivea SS ASB.

I am going to try the KMF again tomorrow. My first shave with it was great and I suspect that my subsequent problems were either from to much exfoliation or having the razor opened up too much.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. You guys are great!

-Steve
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

What blade are you using?

I encourage you to try a range of lather sources: different creams (TOBS Avocado is good), soaps (some of the handmade soaps), etc.

Glad you figured out an approach that is working.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Steve---Congrats on the great shave today.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
sbacher

Post by sbacher »

Leisureguy wrote:What blade are you using?

I encourage you to try a range of lather sources: different creams (TOBS Avocado is good), soaps (some of the handmade soaps), etc.

Glad you figured out an approach that is working.
I am using Feather blades. I started with the Merkurs but quickly found that they were not working for me. The Feathers seem to work really well for me.

I would love to try several different lather sources. I have trouble finding anything readily available in my area other than Proraso, KMF, and TOM. I have even tried looking at Macy's and Dillard's. There is not a C&E in my area but there are several stores that carry some of their products and I will be checking them out. Also, I will be in Indianapolis in a few weeks for work and plan on checking at Saks. I am told they carry some shave products and since my hotel is connected by way of a skywalk to a mall housing one it will be easy. I guess I will be resorting to ordering from the internet as well.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Congrats, Steve! I think your step #5 was important and the #4 is just perfect. Welcome to the great shave club, we're always happy to have new members. Now watch out for the various acquisition orders to start appearing in your life. ;)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nd plan on checking at Saks.
Nordstroms has a big selection of creams etc.

Clive
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

For me, on-line ordering has been my only recourse. Fortunately, on-line stores carry everything I want..
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Excellent Steve - You've learned that you can get fantastic, close comfortable shaves without over-exposing the blade - life lesson!!

Once you get more confident with your technique - you can consider turning it up for the final clean up/touch up pass...or not...either way you'll get a great shave.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.