Second Blade Problems and Question

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rcymozart

Second Blade Problems and Question

Post by rcymozart »

I started shaving with a DE two Thursdays ago using a Merkur HD and Derby blades. After about five shaves (the last three stunningly wonderful and nick free), I switched to a Merkur blade from letterK's sampler pack to see what the difference would feel like.

I only use that blade three times. Each time I saw more irritation and nicks than I ever have using any razor, DE or cartridge. I've already loaded a new Derby blade into the razor in case I'm too tired tomorrow to remember to do so. Hopefully, that will return to as nice a shave as previously, or close enough.

I see the YMMV phrase a lot here. I also know that blades may not be as sharp as possible even when brand new (no offense to letterK who has supplied a fine product). So I have to ask: Is this experience common when trying a different brand of blade?

I know that I'm still learning and it could take a while, but that seemed drastic to be getting a great shave with one blade, then a painful experience with another brand.

Thanks all,

Robert
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

A. Maybe that was a bad blade. It happens once in a while in every brand.

B. Throw that Merkur away, and try a different brand next. You can try another Merkur blade in a week or two if you want.
dasein_geist

Post by dasein_geist »

Robert,

My experience mirrored your own, and many other's as well. It is not uncommon for to react differently (sometimes dramatically) to different blades.

Likewise, it is not uncommon for a person to have a negative experience with a particular brand of blades, switch to a different brand, get a great shave, and months later try the previously "bad" blades, only to find they shave great.

My suggestion is, try each of the blades from the "sampler pack," determine which you prefer, and stick with those for a bit. In a month or two (when your technique has been "perfected," you may want to revisit the sampler pack, to see if your "tastes" have changed.

Ultimately, you may find you prefer one brand over the others (in which case you should purchase those in bulk), or you may find that none are preferable to the others (in which case you can purchase either the cheapest or the easiest to get).

Personally, I switched my preference(s) at least three times before I settled on my own favorites...YMMV, however :wink:
- Sean -

"What am I afraid of? I'll tell you: a feather. that's right, a feather...did I say it was a poison feather?"
-- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]
Rob

Post by Rob »

I had the same problem with other blades. I found that Derbys and Merkurs give me irritation and nicks, while the Israels give me a beautiful shave. Thank goodness for the LetterK Sampler Pack, eh? Derbys might just be the blade for you...which is good because they're dirt cheap on Ebay.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

IMHO, Merkurs are definitely not the smoothest blade. Derbys on the other hand are quite smooth close to the skin.
-Steve
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Robert I think that you just have to try as many different blades as you can and find that one that works for you.

I have tried just about every blade out there and settled on Personna. There are a lot of people that can't stand the Personna blades but they are what works for me. As you so aptly stated YMMV realy comes into play with any of the aspects of shaving. Good luck in your search for "your" blade and keep us posted.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I find Merkur blades simply unusable, though some like them a lot.

I would also mention that how a blade performs can "change" as your technique improves. (Obviously, what is changing is not the blade, but the technique.) Quite a while back, I tried the Euro Gillette and didn't like it at all. Recently, I tried one again---wonderful! So now I'm going to try them in several different razors and see how it goes. They may even turn out to be better (for me --- YMMV) than the Feathers. Who knows?