Please, help. Shave is not Working

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
poetman

Please, help. Shave is not Working

Post by poetman »

I've been wet shaving since high-school, DE shaving since two weeks ago. Switching to the cream/brush combo has definitely been an improvement over the can foam. However, I am not getting a smooth shave with my Merkur HD. I am discouraged. After many passes, the cheeks are smooth, but my chin, upper lip, and neck area are not (my neck still suffers from razor burn). I find myself shaving WTG, AcrossTG, other way AcrossTG, then AgainstTG. Yet, I still have stubble. I end up taking out my M3 and cleaning up. Granted, there is not as much damage to my face this way, but something has to give. I know the HD is an improvement from the M3 because I was short on time on Sunday morning, so I shaved with the M3--my face was razor burned and unhappy. This morning, I did 3 passes with the HD then a clean-up with the M3 and much less razor burn.
I know you guys use DE's for the whole shave--what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the Help!
PS I'm using the blades that came with the razor. I'm still awaiting Letter K's sample.
ZenBrayn

Post by ZenBrayn »

I've found that the blade you use can make a huge difference. I suspect you're using Merkur blades? I've tried out the Merkur, Israeli and Derby blades so far, and the Merkur blades were the worst for me. I've gotten much better shaves with the other blades. Until the sampler pack arrives, I'd continue to work on technique as this is another big factor. I too was very discouraged about getting poor (and bloody) shaves, but trying out different blades renewed my faith!

All the best!
Ryan
Ben

Post by Ben »

If you adjust the shaving direction (not the angle of the razor's head) when going across the grain on your neck, you can eliminate some of the challenge with shaving against the grain.

If your neck hair grows sideways, cut along a diagonal path:

- - - - - - -/ - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - /- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - -/ - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - /- - - - - - - - - - - -

Then cut along the other diagonal for the second pass across the grain:

- - - - - -\ - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - -\- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - \- - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -\ - - - - - - - -

You're probably using too much pressure early on and irritating your neck before you even cut to skin when shaving against the grain. Use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor do your work. Reduce stubble gradually over the course of each pass rather than attempt to get a perfect shave by using pressure and trying to finish in one or two passes.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
ScottS

Re: Please, help. Shave is not Working

Post by ScottS »

poetman wrote:I've been wet shaving since high-school, DE shaving since two weeks ago. Switching to the cream/brush combo has definitely been an improvement over the can foam. However, I am not getting a smooth shave with my Merkur HD. I am discouraged. After many passes, the cheeks are smooth, but my chin, upper lip, and neck area are not (my neck still suffers from razor burn). I find myself shaving WTG, AcrossTG, other way AcrossTG, then AgainstTG. Yet, I still have stubble. I end up taking out my M3 and cleaning up. Granted, there is not as much damage to my face this way, but something has to give. I know the HD is an improvement from the M3 because I was short on time on Sunday morning, so I shaved with the M3--my face was razor burned and unhappy. This morning, I did 3 passes with the HD then a clean-up with the M3 and much less razor burn.
I know you guys use DE's for the whole shave--what am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the Help!
PS I'm using the blades that came with the razor. I'm still awaiting Letter K's sample.

Less pressure, less passes. Limit yourself to one or two passes, don't worry about how close the shave is, and don't move on until you can do this without irritation.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Good advice Scott

Clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ben is 100% right about the neck. That angle of attack always seems to do the job

Clive