need soap and or cream options for a noob

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
acesup_11

need soap and or cream options for a noob

Post by acesup_11 »

My first razor is on the way a gillette adjustable slim handle... so i guess my question is should i just go with the target bought shaving cream or soap or should i place some well spent money somewhere else? thanks alot for you help in advance
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Re: need soap and or cream options for a noob

Post by rustyblade »

acesup_11 wrote:My first razor is on the way a gillette adjustable slim handle... so i guess my question is should i just go with the target bought shaving cream or soap or should i place some well spent money somewhere else? thanks alot for you help in advance
That is a big question. Tell us what kind of scents you prefer floral/cologne/barbershop. Do you have a brush? How much do you want to spend?

You can't really go wrong with Proraso at Target either.
Richard
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

You can look at the suggestions in my post on the beginning shave kit. Generally speaking, I would recommend that you get a good shaving soap as well as a shaving cream so you can learn both.

A shaving cream that a lot of newbies like is Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado. If you're in Canada, J.M. Fraser's shaving cream is a great buy and a very good cream.

For a soap, I like those by Honeybee Sue, Mama Bear, QED, and Saint Charles Shave. Why not try a shaving stick from QED?---the Mocha-Java is very nice. (Honeybee Sue has a Mocha-Coffee soap puck that's similar.)
Last edited by Leisureguy on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ace, you want us to call you Ace or another name? Glad to meet you and the above post was good. You can get Proraso and you are not getting a second-rate product if you do. Many guys love it just as much as some of the other brands you might see mentioned here. It would not be a bad idea to start with it, since it is local, not as expensive as others, and you can get a brush to see if you like that way of applying lather. If so, you can branch out to stuff you might have to ship in. Usually Proraso and Kiss My Face are the easiest to acquire locally and then Art of Shaving, but AOS steps up in price. Proraso will tide you over for a couple of weeks or more until you can read up some. You can always go to the Sales/trade forum and put up a want to buy for a sample of what you want to try and someone could make you a good deal.

sam
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ace, While I generally agree with what Sam posted above, personally, I'm uncomfortable with suggesting Proraso as a first cream to try. Sure, it's often now available locally due to Target, and it is a quality product, but a not unconsequential number of shavers have a reaction to some of the ingrediants in it, myself included. I suggest looking around the local pharmacys and even Wal-Mart, for Palmolive Lathering shave cream ( white tube with a red stripe ). It's very inexpensive, and yet is a quality shave cream that almost no one has skin reactions to, and it works as well as Proraso. It's a good cream to start with and to practice with, as it's so inexpensive, and non-fussy. Best of luck with your new regimen. BTW, I moved your thread over here, as this is the sort of inquirey that SMFU was set up specifically to respond to.
Regards,
Gordon
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Ace,
A warm welcome to you, happy you have joined a great bunch of knowledable gentlemen here at SMF. As part of 'Pay it Forward', I am sending complimentary soap cakes to new members with their 25th post. This is two-fold, to welcome new members and to encourage active participation with your input here.

I generally have a surplus of soap cakes either due to mis-pours or I chose not to use the fragrance. Other than discard them I give them to new members as I have them available.

All you need to do is send me the link to your 25th post and address by PM.

Happy posting!
Sue
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Wow Sue, that's great. Thanks for doing that. Now let me see if I can find my 25th post.

J :P
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Johnnie wrote:Wow Sue, that's great. Thanks for doing that. Now let me see if I can find my 25th post.

Hey!! You copped my line!!!

BTW - that is a very generous offer Sue, and will be appreciated by some lucky dog newb WITH 25 FREAKIN' POSTS :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hey do we get anything for 2500 posts?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
timc

Post by timc »

Hey now, don't ruin it for everyone. :wink:

P.S. I found my 25th post.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Wow Sue, that's great. Thanks for doing that. Now let me see if I can find my 25th post.

Hey!! You copped my line!!!

BTW - that is a very generous offer Sue, and will be appreciated by some lucky dog newb WITH 25 FREAKIN' POSTS :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hey do we get anything for 2500 posts?
100 soaps, I'd think :P
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Blue As A Jewel

timc wrote:Hey now, don't ruin it for everyone. :wink:

P.S. I found my 25th post.
My 25th post was reeallly deeep.....
John Varvatos
Apparently that's all I had to say. But y'all need to really think about it.
- Ravi -

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Ace--You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions you have already received thus far, however, since I am partial to barbershop scents, I too, would recommend you trying the Proraso Cream. It is a top-notch product and readily available usually at Target. Proraso also has a great alcohol-free A/S balm. Glad you joined SMF :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Blue As A Jewel

Sorry I'm supposed to a responsible Mod - so as to not get this thread completely off topic...

Proraso is a great line, I'm not sure if Target carries the soap version but it is very good as well, and I actually prefer it marginally over the cream.

You've gotten some great suggestions and leads - now go explore!
- Ravi -

acesup_11

Post by acesup_11 »

first off as what to call me... ACE or ACES is fine its just a handle to feed my addiction to poker...

I think i will go out and buy some of the palmolive and provasoc from target and walmart just to learn from and to see if im allergic to anything so that should help me out with my more expensive creams and soaps....

thanks for the warm welcome and sue thanks for the soap offer I hopefully should get there soon woohoo 25....
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

acesup_11 wrote:first off as what to call me... ACE or ACES is fine its just a handle to feed my addiction to poker...

I think i will go out and buy some of the palmolive and provasoc from target
Ace,

Make sure you ask for "Proraso". If you ask for "Provasoc", they may direct you to the pharmacy and ask if you have a prescription :lol: :lol:

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

That's very cool of you, Sue. BTW, I just received the Bay Rum EDT and Bay Rum soap and can't wait to try the soap. Already tried the EDT and like it a lot.
Johnny_Z

Post by Johnny_Z »

Sue wrote:Ace,
A warm welcome to you, happy you have joined a great bunch of knowledable gentlemen here at SMF. As part of 'Pay it Forward', I am sending complimentary soap cakes to new members with their 25th post. This is two-fold, to welcome new members and to encourage active participation with your input here.

I generally have a surplus of soap cakes either due to mis-pours or I chose not to use the fragrance. Other than discard them I give them to new members as I have them available.

All you need to do is send me the link to your 25th post and address by PM.

Happy posting!
Sue
D'oh! I guess I better get posting then...

John
(Also a newbie to this forum and fine shaving creams and soaps and all that good stuff in general)
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Only 23 to go John. I'll be waiting for your PM.
Welcome to SMF!!
Sue
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

BTW Sue thank you again for the soap for my 25th post. Delivery was impressively fast. I have not tried it yet, however. When I do it will be my first soap besides the Proraso one, but that is almost just a hard cream. I will try to post my experience.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
meltzer222

Post by meltzer222 »

I'm still a noob and my favorite shave cream is Taylors Sandalwood. I think its mostly a scent thing as I've tried Trumpers, AOS, and C&E. The Taylors is still my favorite.

I'm still working towards my 25th post and am looking forward to trying out one of Sue's soaps. I've been mostly creams so far, but just purchased my first puck of Mitchell's. Looking forward to the soap experience now that I've got a couple of shaves under my belt.

Good luck...