A call for some Advice~!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!

A call for some Advice~!

Post by 2 »

If you have the patience to read through my shaving history, my current wet shaving experience and offer some advice and/or feedback, I would be tremendously grateful.

[History] I am in my late 20's, since I started shaving (circa 15) I have always had major problems with shaving. Lots of ingrown hairs, plenty of irritation. I was using the Mach3 and Can shaving cream. At around 19 I gave up and moved to an Electric razor. I tried the Panasonic, really didnt like it and after using a Braun found that I got very close shaves with almost no irritation. I would get some small ingrown hairs on my neck somewhat often, which bothered me, but I was generally ok.

After reading the MSN article on Wet shaving, I found it REALLY interesting. The in depth methodical steps, the "gadgets" (brush, DE razor, etc) were all so fascinating. I was interested. I thought it would be the end of irritation on my neck and the start of great close shaves.

I started going back to a cardridge razor for a while and had "ok" shaves. I was using the Gillette Disposable 2 blade sensors http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... ilter=7744
They are about 7 bux for 10... 70 cents a piece.

I ordered all the neccesary tools as per Leisureguy's advice.
And I have been trying it for a week to week 1/2 and I am very disappointed.

Also, I have what I consider to be a very coarse beard. It is thick and hard but not very densely populated [/History]

[My Routine] I will either shave without a shower or right after a shower. Either way, when I shower I put conditioner on my beard and let it sit for 30 seconds or so. When I shave, I shave in front of my sink. I make sure I have very warm water soaked into my face by either rinsing a lot or using a hot towel for a bit.

I use Taylor of Old Bond Street or Proraso shaving creme and a best badger brush. I whip it up to a very meringue like texture. I lather well.

I use a Merkur HD with Feather blades. I put NO pressure on the head, I do my best to watch blade angle to be almost parallel to my skin.

I shave With TG, rinse, lather, Across TG, rince, lather, and then Against TG.

Rince with COLD water and I finish with an alum bar and then some alcohol free with hazel.

Now...my skin HATES me. My face is shaved fairly close, but on some locations you can always see darkness where the hairs are somewhat visible beneath the skin. My face has a feeling of tightness, I feel sometimes irritation. My neck is a BATTLEFIELD. I get ingrown hairs, I get lots of cuts and irritation. I think about my skin all day, because it feels strange.

Also my hairs are REALLY hard and sharp when they grow out (around early evening). With the electric they never felt this "sandpaper" like.
[/My Routine]

[Variations] I have used 100% glycerine as a pre-lather and it did basically nothing in my experience.

I shaved today, half my face with the Merkur HD/feather and half with the Gillette Disposable Sensor http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... ilter=7744
and I found the shave on the Gillette side to have less irritation and even a little bit closer.
[/Variations]

So Do you have any comments? I am thinking of selling my Merkur HD and Year supply of Feather blades and moving back to an electric. I think maybe my skin is just TOO sensitive for all this. '
Rob

Post by Rob »

Although I have never had ingrowns, hopefully I can help just a little. I see you're using Feathers only. Have you purchased a LetterK blade sampler pack? I would recommend this because maybe a Feather is just not good for you. Maybe another blade is the right one for you.

Keep in mind that the hairs at the base of your neck probably do not grow in the same direction as the other hairs on your neck. For example, the hairs at the base of my neck grow in an upward fashion compared to the downward and sideways fashion the other neck hairs grow.

Have you tried Proraso Pre/Post cream? It's a great pre-shave. I seriously doubt your skin is too sensitive for DE shaving. To me, DE shaving is the most gentle shave routine of all. Possibly your blade angle is wrong. Without physically being there when you shave it's hard for me to guess about your angle.

Stay in the game. I have no doubts we can help you here. I came here many months ago pleading for help. Now I am an avid collector of creams and aftershaves because the fine gentlemen here helped me achieve a painless shave. I actually love shaving now. Previously I hated it. I would have rather had a kick in the balls than go shave. Not anymore! :D
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I would agree on trying another blade. The feathers simply don't work for some people. Try a Euro Gillette, for example---it may be a lot smoother.

I would skip the against-the-grain pass for a while---just do across the grain in both directions.

It would be interesting if you could try a Slant Bar once you find the right blade. Those do well for tough beards.
Josey Wales

Post by Josey Wales »

I've been shaving with a DE for 8-9 months and I'm still learning, so I'd suggest you stick with it. I had a lot of trouble at first and I'm glad I kept at it.

Several things that were very important in my getting from very disappointing shaves with a DE to very good were:

1) Realizing that I wasn't trying to remove my whole beard in one or two passes. Keep your disposable to clean up what you need to while your angle improves.

2) Start with two passes with the grain and work on your angle. I found that creams had a lot less to do with my shave quality than proper lather and angle. (Leisureguy's blog has top notch advice on it... I was about to throw my DE out the window before I found his site. He saved a perfectly good Merkur Futur. :wink:)

3) Once you get better at the angle, you can start working on making multiple passes. It takes three to four and a lot of practice with across the grain and against the grain passes. Every part of my face needs to be approached from a slightly differnt direction. Use gentle short strokes and if you feel a slight tug, stop and try a new direction.

Just remember: the rewards are great. I'm not getting perfect shaves, but my DE is much more pleasant than the Mach 3 I gave up long ago.

Post by 2 »

You guys are AWESOME. This is a very good forum.

I will stick with it a bit longer.

I'll steer away from against the grain until possibly my angle improves and I am getting zero irritation.

But if I find in a few weeks Im still fighting a huge battle with my neck. I am throwing in the face towel and going back to electric.

She was quite kind to me in fact.

Thank you guys so much.

Oh and Rob: I am aware of the CrAzy changed of hair direction on my neck. I try to follow them when I shave. Thanks for your advice.

-Two
furgy667

Post by furgy667 »

I also am new to DE shaving . My first razor was a Mekur hd and found it to aggressive . I now use a Gillette adjustable set on 3 with great results. I also spend alot more time watching my blade angle on my neck . I do not try a against the grain pass on my neck either . Not now any way . I use feathers , proraso and talyor products as well , so our setups are preaty close. All but the razor. I still look forward to using my HD but I am going to shave with the adjustable for several more weeks before I attempt it again.

My first week and a half of DE shaving my neck looked like hamburger meat. One thing that helped me was to just slow down and take alot of extra time on my neck . I start my shave on my neck and just pay the up most attention to what I am doing down there. I seemed to really help me .

Hope you hang in there

Brandon

Post by 2 »

UPDATE:

I picked up some Suave Aloe Conditioner (for $1.59 / large bottle) at Safeway.

I started using it as a preshave to each lather and it seems to REALLY help.

I'll keep you updated if its the Conditioner or my abilities that have improved or maybe my face just getting used to DE shaving.

-Two
Last edited by 2 on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good to hear from you. I am glad to hear the conditioner helped. That might just be it. Maybe your hair needed to be much softer before attempting to shave. Let's hope that was it. Stick with it!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Two -

Though I've shaved for many years, I'm new to shaving on this level.

With my receny return to wet shaving, I started with a Merkur Classic Long Handle razor. I invariably grazed the right side of my Adam's apple.

I switched to a gentler razor and got both a gentler and a closer shave. The razor I've been using is a Chinese Weishi, which got a good review on this forum as a gentle razor. It appears to be a copy of the old Gillette Super Speed of the late '50s and '60s. People on this forum say that the Gillette Super Speed is a gentle razor, also.

I haven't tried Feather blades, yet, as they're reputed to be very sharp and more aggressive, though I intend to try them at some point. So far, I have tried American Personnas and Derby blades.

If your shaves continue to improve without a change in equipment (razor or blade), so much the better. If you still find room for improvement, you could consider a gentler razor and/or blade.

It may take some experimentation to find the right combination for you and your beard. We've got a lot of happy shavers here, so I hope you stick with us. :)

- Murray
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Just to put my two cents in. I agree with Furgy on the Merkur HD. Nice razor, but IMHO very agressive. My shaving was markedly improved with the purchase of a Gillette adjustable. I have been experimenting an found that a setting of one or two is enough to give me a comfortable shave.

I too have been having problems, in the neck area, with irritation and nicks, but I have been using a lower setting on my razor and taking more time to go slowly during my shave and have found that this helps. Maybe an adjustable would help?
xChris

Post by xChris »

Pertaining to your skin drying out, you should consider a moiturizing balm after the witch hazel to ensure your skin has enough moisture for the day. Somethng like the Nivea Sensitive formula, Neutrogena Razor Defense, or QED's After Shave Skin Conditioner should do. Also, when you apply it, go with the grain to reduce potential incidents of irritation (when a shave might not be as close as BBS). FInally, consider this after you've gotten some other variables squared away.

Keep at it -- your shave performance will iimprove.
Chris

Post by 2 »

THANKS GUYS for the posts!

Yea I moved to using Suave Aloe conditioner as a preshave before all lathering.

Alum bar after cold rinse.

And I now use Nivea Replenishing Balm instead of the witch hazel.

My skin is MUUUUUUUUUCH happier.

I think my form has improved as well.

I am now doing VERY short strokes with my razor. I also am not doing any Against the grain for a week or two. Doing mildy against chevrons. Things are improving.

I will keep at it for another week or two and make some decisions then.

Another problem, I have always had is:
I have pale-ish thin skin, dark THICK beard. SO in many areas, even if it feels baby smooth to my fingers, you can still see what looks like stubble.

I am sure I am not the only one with that problem, But Im jealous of those that can look hairless after a good shave.

-TWO
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There's unfortunately no real solution to the light-skin-dark-beard problem - other than, shave gently and without irritating yourself, so that you can shave every day without having to take a day off.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Actually, a tinted Shave Talc like mennens should help with the blue-face problem.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Once you feel your technique is solid, and you've identified the right blade for you, and your pre- and post-shave routines are good (found the right products, etc.), THEN I would be interested in having you try a Slant Bar with the blade you've found. For a tough beard with sensitive skin, that combination (assuming good prep, light touch, correct blade angle, etc.) should work wonders.

Post by 2 »

Wow...Leisure Guy just wrote to me~! WOW
HAHaha Your website is easy to find, very lengthly and detailed. I showed it to many people and referred to it myself on many a time. In fact I bought all my gear by your recommendations.
To me you are a CELEBRITY!

Thanks. I am flattered you gave me advice.

This forum is filled with very kind people.

I am into cars and racing them. I have a midengine turbo'd lil sports car of my childhood dreams (MR2 Turbo). The problem with the forums of that car, is lots of very young and inmature people haunt them. They are good people too, but the forums are just a very different, more aggressive, negative tone to it.

SMF is great!!

-TWO
brothers

Re: A call for some Advice~!

Post by brothers »

2 wrote: . . . my skin HATES me. . . . . My neck is a BATTLEFIELD. . . . I am thinking of selling my Merkur HD and Year supply of Feather blades and moving back to an electric. . . . . I think maybe my skin is just TOO sensitive for all this. '
I found these statements to be funny. :lol: I hope by now the young man has found the path to an enjoyable shave since he took the time to post his novice experiences with the conventional razor and blade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lots of good feedback for you here. I have 4 comments.
  • Preparation
  • Proper razor angle
  • Proper blard pressure
  • Patience
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

A nice cake of MWF soap might help also.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Please don't count out your Merkur 34C. It is I hated mine a long time when I started wet shaving. And it was my first razor. Now it is my daily shaver though I have some others. In general they are not very aggressive shavers, unlike any new shaver like myself did once think.

Some of them Merkurs are maybe more aggressive than others, but my problem was a poor shave technique. And to this day I cannot get a gentle shave with a Feather blade in ANY of my razors. Period. All our skins are different

Now it is winter and our skins are thin cause of the climate and in my case central heating, so a blade like Feather is an overkill.

I cannot really recommend you other blades, since i have my stash of gentler blades but my liked milder blades like Derby and likes are from an older acquisition and todays Derbies today might not be the same. My advice is for you to get a blade sample pack. And and also have good latherings with not too much water to have it supportive.
Jarmo