moustache upkeep

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

moustache upkeep

Post by salbev »

hello fine gents,

i would love to hear from those who have a moustache about the many or few things that you do or don't do to maintain its appearance...wax? comb? scissors? trimmers? tweezers? any and all are sincerely appreciated!

thank you thank you
Ben

Post by Ben »

I use some gear made by Kent. Click here for a fun thread about that. I also use wax. Here are some nice links for that:

http://www.oregonwildhair.com
http://www.skippys.no
http://www.daliwax.com
http://www.firehousemoustachewax.com

You can also make your own. Some DIY tips are available here.

And here is a very complete list of waxes. And finally, a Wax FAQ for you to enjoy.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

Ben,
thank you for the info and reply!
i must say that "tiny" kent moustache comb is terrific.
very cool to check out those sites you listed as well.
the tunes playing on the firehouse site creates a very charged atmosphere for moustache product hunting!

:D
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

I condition my 'stache about once a week with the same hair conditioner I use on my head. On a daily basis I comb it straight, apply wax, brush the wax into the hairs, and after waiting about 10 minutes, smooth with the fingers. The finger smooth is repeated throughout the day whether I want to or not. :-)

I'm working toward a handlebar right now, but don't yet have much beyond the outer corners of the lip.
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

yoyology wrote:I condition my 'stache about once a week with the same hair conditioner I use on my head. On a daily basis I comb it straight, apply wax, brush the wax into the hairs, and after waiting about 10 minutes, smooth with the fingers. The finger smooth is repeated throughout the day whether I want to or not. :-)

I'm working toward a handlebar right now, but don't yet have much beyond the outer corners of the lip.
Karl, promise you'll take a picture of you handlebars when you achieve this.
Richard
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

rustyblade wrote:
yoyology wrote:I condition my 'stache about once a week with the same hair conditioner I use on my head. On a daily basis I comb it straight, apply wax, brush the wax into the hairs, and after waiting about 10 minutes, smooth with the fingers. The finger smooth is repeated throughout the day whether I want to or not. :-)

i second that if i may.
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

salbev wrote:
rustyblade wrote:

i second that if i may.
Oh, you can count on it. :-)

[We need a mustachioed smiley. I suggest :-{) ]
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
freebird

Post by freebird »

Newbie here, but I had to weigh in on this thread :)
My routine is to wash it with regular shampoo, once a week I use regular conditioner. I also use two types of wax, clubman mustache wax (I pick it up at Sally's Beauty Supply) and Oregon wild hair. I comb the clubman through and shape the stache, then during the day if I need a little extra hold I use just a little wildhair wax. Currently I'm trying some wax I bought off of ebay. I had read a review of it, and Lone Star was reported to hold a little better than Wild Hair. It is also alot harder to work with, so when I'm finished with this tin, I'll go back to the Wildhair wax. I don't know if it is recommended or not, but I always shampoo the wax out before heading to bed.

As far as trimming, I try to leave it be, but it is hair, and sometimes the ends get a little thin looking, and I'll trim just the tips back, maybe 1/16, in order to let the rest of the stache catch up , and give a thicker, fuller look.

Hope this helps. I had to learn mainly by trial and error.
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

wow Freebird, nice stache and chin!
that's my favourite look of all looks. the stache and chin without connectors. what's that called, a van dyke? thanks for the info on stache upkeep. welcome to SMF. there's a lot of great fellas here who know a lot about shaving. welcome and have a great time!
freebird

Post by freebird »

Thanks for welcome and the compliment! yup, that's a van dyke.

Just noticed that Karl is in Tulsa, how did you weather the ice storm? We were without power for 3 days, could've been worse.
freebird

Post by freebird »

freebird wrote:Newbie here, but I had to weigh in on this thread :)
My routine is to wash it with regular shampoo, once a week I use regular conditioner. I also use two types of wax, clubman mustache wax (I pick it up at Sally's Beauty Supply) and Oregon wild hair. I comb the clubman through and shape the stache, then during the day if I need a little extra hold I use just a little wildhair wax. Currently I'm trying some wax I bought off of ebay. I had read a review of it, and Lone Star was reported to hold a little better than Wild Hair. It is also alot harder to work with, so when I'm finished with this tin, I'll go back to the Wildhair wax. I don't know if it is recommended or not, but I always shampoo the wax out before heading to bed.

As far as trimming, I try to leave it be, but it is hair, and sometimes the ends get a little thin looking, and I'll trim just the tips back, maybe 1/16, in order to let the rest of the stache catch up , and give a thicker, fuller look.

Hope this helps. I had to learn mainly by trial and error.
Added note, be extremely careful when pruning the tips, it is very very easy to get them uneven. My stache grows strange, so when the tips start looking thin, I prune it a tad, however I mis-pruned this week and had an uneven stache. Am hoping I've gotten that taken care of, if not I may have to start from scratch just to make sure they are even. If you go to a regular barber, you might get him to even things up, which would definitely make things a whole lot simpler.
Tony