DE Blade Rotation

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
TakeTheCann0lis

Post by TakeTheCann0lis »

I've been told to store your razors head down in Vodka to keep them from oxidizing.

Not sure if it works, but it's intriguing to my guests.

I think i'll try a little vodka aftershave someday, and maybe even splash some on my face.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Re: DE Blade Rotation

Post by rtaylor61 »

meltzer222 wrote:The other morning when I changed out my DE blade, I came up with the idea that I would shave with only one side of the blade until it became uncomfortable to shave with. At that time, I'd use the other side of the blade until the same thing happened. At that point, the blade would be replaced. Seemed logical at the time.

Now I'm wondering if I'm a little odd, or if others do the same thing. Just curious.

-Dustin
The only flaw with your logic is that once the razor blade is exposed to water and air...it begins to deteriorate. Shave with both sides of the blade as you go. This will result on even wear. And with these blades being so cheap...don't risk your face to save a nickel!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Rocky_Marciano wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
Rocky_Marciano wrote:I really don't see how wiping it down with a cotton cloth (not against the edge) is going to wear it down at all, maybe at the molecular level, ...
The blades are not plain steel, but coated. You can wipe some of the coating off. Most blade manufacturers print warnings not to wipe the blades.
Thanks for the explanation, what if you were to just pat them dry?
Maybe, but see John's (cavman's) post about not touching the edge with anything either, because it's so thin.

And rusting in the centre of the blade, where it's OK to touch, doesn't matter anyway.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

well how could just patting them dry be worse than shaving with it?? Perhaps the miniscule amount of dulling you did by drying them would be far less than the dulling caused by leaving them wet to oxidize. I say this b/c from my own experience if I dry them they last longer for me.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

Cool

Post by Kalypso »

TakeTheCann0lis wrote:I've been told to store your razors head down in Vodka to keep them from oxidizing.

Not sure if it works, but it's intriguing to my guests.

I think i'll try a little vodka aftershave someday, and maybe even splash some on my face.
And brush you teeth with it too (you want the maximum effect when you get to work).
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448
Wildtim

Post by Wildtim »

I figured I'd just throw my two cents in here as no one else apparently does it the same way I do. I shave with one side of the blade and switch to the other each different shave. I keep it stored in my drawer the last used side down so it drains away from the side I didn't get wet that day.
Check out my other Hobby.
HTTP://www.wildhauskennels.com