My First Shave (kinda)

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
canman23

My First Shave (kinda)

Post by canman23 »

I went to a men’s spa yesterday here in Indianapolis (my wife got me a shave for my b-day). Here is how it went,
1. Hot towel
2. Hot soap (from an electrical heater thing) another hot towel
3. More hot soap and another hot towel
4. Pre shave oil and another hot towel
5. Shave with a straight razor (a feather that you can replace the blade)
6. Hot water (the shave cream he used gets reactivated with hot water)
7. A 2nd round of shaving (with a MACH 3 which I didn’t care for)
8. Hot towel
9. After shave then a cold towel.
All in all it wasn’t to bad of a shave but afterwards I got some skin irritation on my neck which I never get when I shave myself. The shave was relaxing and overall I’d say worth the $30. It was very relaxing I must say.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm envious because I have never had a professional shave before. Sounds like a nice experience. :) And happy birthday!
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

You didn't mention a shaving brush. Did he lather your face with a brush or just his hand? I have had a few professional shaves and they mixed the shaving cream in a bowl and worked it in with a brush. The cream was Palmolive. They only used a straight razor also a Feather type, and finishes off with aftershave balm and a face massage. $50 bucks plus tip.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
canman23

Post by canman23 »

tonyespo wrote:You didn't mention a shaving brush. Did he lather your face with a brush or just his hand? I have had a few professional shaves and they mixed the shaving cream in a bowl and worked it in with a brush. The cream was Palmolive. They only used a straight razor also a Feather type, and finishes off with aftershave balm and a face massage. $50 bucks plus tip.
He used his hand to lather my face. He had a little machine that heated up the soap. He used a shave cream that was clear after he applied the hot lather two times.
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

canman23 wrote:
tonyespo wrote:You didn't mention a shaving brush. Did he lather your face with a brush or just his hand? I have had a few professional shaves and they mixed the shaving cream in a bowl and worked it in with a brush. The cream was Palmolive. They only used a straight razor also a Feather type, and finishes off with aftershave balm and a face massage. $50 bucks plus tip.
He used his hand to lather my face. He had a little machine that heated up the soap. He used a shave cream that was clear after he applied the hot lather two times.
I guess you had a sort of OLD SCHOOL barber shop shave. There aren't many places left that give you the works with shaving mug mixed cream and full straight razor shave.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

It sounds like you got a good pamper. I've often thought about going for a shave but the idea of a stranger touching my face, with a razor no less, just freaks me out. Even a body massage is out. My parents go to a really decent spa in Shorthills NJ and have invited me to go with them, but I just can't handle a stranger touching me. Yes, Tony, not even a Ms, Erika! :)

Clive