"mashing" the brush

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Bloomingtownie

"mashing" the brush

Post by Bloomingtownie »

Hi all, I'm new here.

When I am lathering with a brush, is it OK to "mash" or "squish" it against my face? When I do, it seems like I get a better lather. I'm afraid, however, that it isn't good for the brush, like a paint brush.

This question is probably addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Thanks,

oh yeah - GO COLTS!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mashing is definitely ok. I do it quite often. Badger hairs are quite a bit more mash-friendly than paintbrush hairs. Mash away! And I must agree, Colt makes fine firearms. ;)
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Bloomingtownie, Welcome to SMF.

Rob is right. Many wetshavers build their lather right on their face. Instead of using a mug, they put shave cream on the brush and directly build their lather. Mashing the brush does it no harm at all. The most important thing to remember for brush care is to wash it out after using it and shake it dry. A quality brush can last a lifetime.

Bloomingtownie, what is your name.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I'm a masher but I mash my brush in my bowl instead of on my face. Mash away.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Rob_TN wrote:Mashing is definitely ok. I do it quite often. Badger hairs are quite a bit more mash-friendly than paintbrush hairs. Mash away! And I must agree, Colt makes fine firearms. ;)
Maybe he's refer to the beer (malt liqour) Colt 45... :P

Anyway, Welcome to SMF. What is your "real" first name? We are friends here. What's your shaving history and what are you currently using?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
LtMac

Post by LtMac »

Hi and welcome to the group!

Don
In God We Trust; All Others Checked Through NCIC
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome to SMF

Master Brush Abuser here.

Using a brush any other way seems pointless to me.

Clive
Bloomingtownie

Post by Bloomingtownie »

Well, I guess I'm not really used to giving up my personal stuff so early, but y'all seem like good folks so what the hey...

My name is Wally, I live in Bloomington, IN (obviously!).

I bought a DE razor a couple years ago, because I thought it looked nice. I didn't know how to use it, so I just put on Edge gel and shaved like usual (against the grain). I thought to myself that my Gilette Sensor was a far better shave.

The guy at the local tobacco shop recently explained what I was doing wrong so I bought myself a little set up around Christmas. I looked around the web for some tips and found you guys.

My first shaves have not been terribly close, but I think that's because I'm trying to figure out my technique. What has been wonderful is how good my skin feels afterwards, that's keeping me motivated to keep going.

And, no, the Colts reference is to the NFL, but I suspect you all knew that - :lol: After twenty five-odd years of futility, I'm crowing (just a little!).
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Welcome, Wally!

Mashing is OK, but only up to a point. You don't want to mash it *all* the way down onto your skin. You do want to press down enough for the hair bristles to flare out some. This video may help if you have a broadband connection.

--Mark
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Of course, if you have a Simpson's, you may worry about voiding your warranty! :shock:
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

There, there, Richard...let's not be testy, what with the newcomer just coming aboard and all. David Carter just sent you a nice hand written note; why, I'll bet even Peter hasn't gotten one of those ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

rustyblade wrote:Of course, if you have a Simpson's, you may worry about voiding your warranty! :shock:
freebird

Post by freebird »

I've always mashed my brush with no ill effects. Sorry to hear about the Simpson's warranty. I'll make a mental note to not try that brand of brush.
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

No Kidding........

Post by Kalypso »

freebird wrote:I've always mashed my brush with no ill effects. Sorry to hear about the Simpson's warranty. I'll make a mental note to not try that brand of brush.
I try to be a positive person, & I'm positive I'll never buy one based on this!
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448