Another new one on board

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jbc

Another new one on board

Post by jbc »

Relatively new to this whole process, doing this for two months now. Have been posting around here ocasionaly not much yet. I am a very regular over at Badger and Blade. Started with electrics at the age of thirteen, boy wasn't I stupid. :evil: Never got a good day out of them at all, but was stupid. Stuck with them until thirty-nine and finally chucked the whole lot of them. Picked up a free Fusion and a Free Mach 3. Tried the Fusion once, head was to darn large. Did the Mach 3 for a month before getting my entry level 1901 clasic Merkur DE. And the rest is history. Wife thinks I am nuts, she uses disposable doubble bladed ones, but I think she is the stupid one. A harty hello from the US Capital City, home of the Nationals, Redskins, Wizards, Mystics, Captials and United.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Welcome JBC,

Most of us have tried an electric at one time. Awful things, constantly buying new more expensive ones thinking they offer something better. They really left my neck red and raw.
Richard
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Welcome, JBC. My mom got me an electric when I first started shaving. I had to make so many passes to cut the peach fuzz that I ended up irritating my face something awful. Never really got a good shave with that thing. I used a DE for a while, then switched to each successive Gillette "innovation" until the multi-blades became too much.

My wife thought I was crazy, too, at first. Eventually she came around and now thinks it's pretty cool.

Dave
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

Welcome JBC -

Yep, many of us have used an electric razor in prior lives. I used one during my teenage years and even into my twenties. So much in fact that I eventually worked a hole through the foil (it was a non-rotary model, and no, it wasn't a Norelco Cool Skin). Lamentably, I didn't notice the breach and of course the hole exposed the cutting mechanism. It sliced my face from ear to chin before I even realized what was happening. I thought I had pressed too hard so I tried again and caused a similar result. By the time I figured out the problem I looked as though I had shaved with a chainsaw. Not fun. Although I have had a few minor incidents learning to shave with a DE (especially the time I accidentally drew it horizontally across the corner of my nose), I have never caused anywhere near the carnage that my foil pierced electric did.

- Joseph

Edited because I cannot spell worth a darn.