What does the "comb" do?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Bloomingtownie

What does the "comb" do?

Post by Bloomingtownie »

Hi again, this might have been addressed elsewhere, but I can't use the search feature very well yet, I guess.

My razor (some kind of Merkur) has an open "comb" on the edge of it. Do you know what I'm talking about? Some seem to have a flat edge, but mine has teeth or tines. What are they for?

Also, if I can see the "comb marks" on my face after a stroke, should that tell me I don't have the right angle? It seems to me the "wake" of the stroke should be clean. What do you think?
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hey-

The comb allows for more exposure of the blade making it more aggressive. If you have a thick beard then this may work for you. If you have a thin beard then you might find that it's to aggressive causing major burn. Everyone is different so only you can answer if it's to aggressive for you. I think most guys prefer a non-comb.

If you're able to see the combs marks on your face I'd say you might be using to much pressure against your face. Ive used a comb a few times and never notice any track marks. You should hold the razor at the end of the handle allowing the weight of the razor to do all of the work.

Hope that helps,

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, we know what you mean. Double edged razors come with either a safety bar, or a comb, and both devices are designed to aid the shave by helping the shaver keep the edge of the blade from digging in. They are simply different designs, and according to the razor, each might offer a closer or a gentler shave. There is a perception that open comb razors always cut closer, but it isn't true; it depends on the razor. If you can see comb tracks on your skin after shaving you really, really need to pay some attention to reducing the pressure you apply to the razor!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Bloomingtownie

Post by Bloomingtownie »

Let me clarify about the marks: I mean seeing comb marks in the foam, not my actual skin. Should there be leftover "comb marks" in the lather, or should the razor leave a smooth path?

Thanks!
~your good pal, wally

~If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. - Jack Handey~
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

Most of the very early razors had the "open comb" design. The comb became expensive to produce, according to other posts here. So, the comb evolved into the straight 'safety bar' design, for manufacturing cost reasons. At least that is what I has been mentioned before. So, it's kinda personal choice on the open comb Merkur.

I would say if you are seeing comb marks in the shaving cream, perhaps your angle is incorrect. But, if you are seeing comb marks on your skin, your pressure on the razor could be too great.

I have an open comb Gillette NEW model from the late 1930's that I use regularly and have never had any comb marks, so just speculation on my part................
Ken
Stubble
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

The razor should leave a smooth path since the razor should be gliding over the skin picking up anything in it's path. If you're leaving cream tracks I'd say you need to lower your angle. Think of it like a rake. If you keep it perpendicular it will leave tracks. If you lay it flatter it will not leave tracks.

Make sense?

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Or, to put exactly the same idea into other words, keep the shiny top plate of the razor against your face while shaving. If you're used to cartridge razors, this may feel wrong at first. You have to hold the handle a bit differently to get the razor the right way on your face.