Hello. Got a few questiosns for you

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Pete_T

Hello. Got a few questiosns for you

Post by Pete_T »

Grettings everyone. Just started with the safety razor and the soap and brush. Got sick of paying 3.50 for a hunk of plastic with a little metal in it. I still dont have anythign against edge gel, but its just not as fun as the alternative

Anyway, I have a number of questions, perhaps too many questions:

Found my dads old Gillette adjustable (found 3 actually). it is numbered 1-9, is it correct that 1 is the least aggressive setting while 9 is the the most aggressive, closest to the face setting?

When I started I asked for a brush for Xmas, and got the fugly traditional red and yellow cheap boar bristle, and I'm considering this one, admittedly b/c of the cool silver handle.
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 431965.htm
good choice? or is there a better one that I should get if I go into that price range?

Whats a good brush for around 35$? Should I go ahead and pay an extra 10-20$ and get a better brush?

Saw the blog where the guy recommended Nancy boy cream. I dont mind the name, I actually get a kick out of it. Opinions on good cream? And what is the "tub" stuff you speak of? Im familiar with the can and the soap and thats it. I did go to Target, and the one here has no Porasso. Im in Mobile, Al so my options are limited (except for an overpriced cigar shop in the mall)

I see recommendations for alum block. Dont they just stifle the bleeding? If you all are recommending alum blocks so frequently, I wonder if perhaps this isnt some conspiracy. "be sure and recommended the alum block to the newbie--he'll be bleeding everywhere--HAHAHA!"

Just kidding on the last one, but what is their purpose?

When I do stuff, I often have an occasionally unwise tendency to want to go full out, so, of course, Im considering the straight razor (I think Ill get well acquainted with the safety first, though) They seem fairly cheap on ebay, and that makes me suspicious. What should I look for in a straight razor I get off there? Is that other equipment acceptable to get off there as well, such as stropes and honing stones? what are some signs that I should and/or should not buy a certain on of these? I noticed that there are buy and sell trades on here, I may just stick to them.

One last thing--Ive heard of the blade oxidation problem--that most of a razor getting dull is due the blade oxidizing when left out. I tried putting the blade in alcohol, but it evaporates (like I figured it would). Anyway I was thinking that storing the blade in some olive oil (or canola, corn, ect) would take care of the issue. If anyone knows why thats a bad idea let me know (other then the possibility of the oil going rancid after a while)

My apologies if there are answsers to my questions online, Ive looked around, but havent seen all of these addressed. Also, it is good to have divergent opinions presented about a subject. Lets you keep your options open

Thanks
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions and I have no doubt others on the board will chime in.

Nancy Boy is a GREAT shave cream. Some don't think it is all that hot, but it is my absolute favorite. A tub is just another way of saying "jar." Shave cream usually comes in tubes (like toothpaste does) or in wide mouth plastic jars with screw top lids. Tubs are usually more economical ounce for ounce than tubes, but tubes are convenient for travel.

As for the brush, I'd spend an extra $20-$30 bucks and get something decent. I do not have any experience with the one you posted, but I do have a different Vulfix brush and I love it. I too started with the dime store boar brush and while it is better than the cream in a can, it is far from ultimate.

Good Luck,

- Joseph
Last edited by Shave Monkey on Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Re: Hello. Got a few questiosns for you

Post by mantic »

Welcome Pete!
Pete_T wrote:Found my dads old Gillette adjustable (found 3 actually). it is numbered 1-9, is it correct that 1 is the least aggressive setting while 9 is the the most aggressive, closest to the face setting?
That's correct.
Pete_T wrote:When I started I asked for a brush for Xmas, and got the fugly traditional red and yellow cheap boar bristle, and I'm considering this one, admittedly b/c of the cool silver handle.
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 431965.htm
good choice? or is there a better one that I should get if I go into that price range?
You're paying about $10-15 more for the pewter handle but it looks like a good brush.
Pete_T wrote:Whats a good brush for around 35$? Should I go ahead and pay an extra 10-20$ and get a better brush?
Crabtree & Evelyn's badger brush is about your best bang for the buck at that range. However the Vulfix you previously mentioned is a better brush.
Pete_T wrote:Saw the blog where the guy recommended Nancy boy cream. I dont mind the name, I actually get a kick out of it. Opinions on good cream? And what is the "tub" stuff you speak of? Im familiar with the can and the soap and thats it. I did go to Target, and the one here has no Porasso. Im in Mobile, Al so my options are limited (except for an overpriced cigar shop in the mall)
Sorry, I haven't tried NB but, as you noted, its popular.
Pete_T wrote:I see recommendations for alum block. Dont they just stifle the bleeding? If you all are recommending alum blocks so frequently, I wonder if perhaps this isnt some conspiracy. "be sure and recommended the alum block to the newbie--he'll be bleeding everywhere--HAHAHA!" Just kidding on the last one, but what is their purpose?
Some fellows swear by these to stifle the nicks and cuts and to soften the skin. I don't use them so I can't help you here, either. :oops:
Pete_T wrote:When I do stuff, I often have an occasionally unwise tendency to want to go full out, so, of course, Im considering the straight razor (I think Ill get well acquainted with the safety first, though) They seem fairly cheap on ebay, and that makes me suspicious. What should I look for in a straight razor I get off there? Is that other equipment acceptable to get off there as well, such as stropes and honing stones? what are some signs that I should and/or should not buy a certain on of these? I noticed that there are buy and sell trades on here, I may just stick to them.
I'm not a straight razor user, but I would trust items from here, B&B, or straightrazorplace before I'd risk eBay.
Pete_T wrote:One last thing--Ive heard of the blade oxidation problem--that most of a razor getting dull is due the blade oxidizing when left out. I tried putting the blade in alcohol, but it evaporates (like I figured it would). Anyway I was thinking that storing the blade in some olive oil (or canola, corn, ect) would take care of the issue. If anyone knows why thats a bad idea let me know (other then the possibility of the oil going rancid after a while)
IMO its more trouble than its worth; DE blades are so cheap there really isn't a reason to use them until they (and your face) cry "uncle!" 8)
Pete_T wrote:My apologies if there are answsers to my questions online, Ive looked around, but havent seen all of these addressed. Also, it is good to have divergent opinions presented about a subject. Lets you keep your options open

Thanks
If its one thing you don't have to worry about around here, its people getting all huffy with newbies. \:D/ Ask away!

--Mark
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Mark wrote:
If its one thing you don't have to worry about around here, its people getting all huffy with newbies. Ask away!

Yeah, Ive noticed that. Perhaps its because the people on here are old enough to shave, or having enough hair on thier face to shave, they dont have the insecurities and anger issues the all the flamers do. Cordiality and courtesy are rapidly becoming lost arts

A follow up question as well, how do you foam the tub or tube stuff? Scoop a little out in a cup and go from there? I guess thats the only way.

I think Ill get some of that nancy boy than. The guy loved it and seemed to indicate that it was a good value

Thanks for the info
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Talk to Jim at Vintage about a brush. He will do right by you. http://www.vintageblades.net/vshop/xcar ... hp?cat=116

As far as creams go, good luck with that and say hello to SCAD. Want to know about creams? Take a scroll through the SOTD threads and you'll get an idea of how many choices there are out there.

When you go to target, the Proraso isn't in the shaving section. You have to step up the snob factor and head for the "Spa" section. Some guys like the proraso, some don't. Try your local drug chains, CVS etc and see if they have Palmolive. That's supposed to be a really nice cream to.

Welcome to world of incredible shaves and even more incredible addictions.

Clive
xChris

Post by xChris »

Welcome to SMF, Pete_T.

The alum block can be used for nicks and cuts, but a styptic pencil is better for that. The alum is more used as an astringent for your skin after the shave. It helps some with the overall complexion of their face.

Straight razor shaving is just as fun as the Double-Edge (DE) shave. Once you've got your technique own, you can get an exceptional shave with either device. Using both allows some dimension or breadth of choice and style to the otherwise boring chore of shaving. Their are a few really good pieces on eBay, there are more that need some work (cleanup & honing), and still more that is just junk (avoid!). The recommendation of SRP is a good one. That forum is dedicated to the straight razor, and has loads of information on acquiring, using, and maintaining a straight razor. You will find, though, that SMF has information as well -- there are guys that are members of both boards too (like me).
Chris
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Hello Pete,

Welcome to SMF. I believe the brush you are talking about is the ASR Burma Shave brush. If it is I have used that brush for about 5 0r 6 years and has served me well. I really like that it's cheap enough to not lose sleep over if I leave it in a hotel room or some such place. It also seems to work well with the gel (again used when traveling).

After I bought the Proraso I ordered the shave cream (and $60 of other stuff :D ) from Nancy Boy. It is my favorite cream and I can't seem to get a bad shave from it. For that matter all the products from Nancy Boy exceeded my expectations.

Good luck,

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Pete_T wrote:A follow up question as well, how do you foam the tub or tube stuff? Scoop a little out in a cup and go from there? I guess thats the only way.
These three videos on YouTube should answer your questions. 8)

--Mark
Str8G8r

Post by Str8G8r »

Welcome to the group Pete! I don't have a lot of time right now to go over your whole post. I will later if it hasn't been disected yet. First thing I want to say about your brush is get the Crebtree & Evelyn brush $35 regular and cheaper on sale. It is a great starter brush. Also spend the money with confidence because if you don't like it I will buy it off you for what you paid for it. I have made this offer many, many times in the past and still have not aquired one for my collection so that speaks volumes. When you are in C&E ask for some samples of their creams. Ask for all of them and they should have no problem giving them to you. They are like mini tubs. You scoop out about an almond size ammount into a bowl, wet the brush fully. Give it a shake and the whip up a batch of lather. Those samples should give you 2-3 shaves from each so you will get some good practice and also get an idea of what the scents are like. So go from there and I will check back to see what progress is being made.
--Charlie
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, Pete. I answer your questions in the post at the link below my signature. I think you'll find the information helpful, especially combined with Mantic's videos.
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Yeah, I ran accross manics videos ealier, theyre very good. Actully funny intentionally, which is often rare for homemade videos. I was paying attention to the technique, and totally forgot the cream that he used

Thats a very informative blog you have Micheal. I was looking over it, and Ive actually used conditioner to shave before. I was staying at a girls house before a wedding, and she had no shaving cream, so that seemed like it might work, and it did pretty well. I never thought to use it afterwards though, it was just somrthign that I did in a pinch.

I went ahead and went to a the Tinderbox, an local store that carries shave products, and they were more reasonable then I would have thought. Got a "Col Ichabod Conk" badger brush and shaving soap for about 30, which is good for that store. Im tossing that Mug shaving soap I got for Xmas, That stuff has no redeeming value whatsoever. The fugly 4.99 boar brush can be used for travel

Looks like Im going to have to get all my stuff online from now on though, theres no uncanned shaving cream to be had here. Walmart, Target, and everwhere else I checked are bare. Oh well, good thing shippings usually pretty cheap nowadays
jbc

My recommendation

Post by jbc »

Is to go for the Badger hair, costs more but its worth it.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving