second lathering confusion

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

second lathering confusion

Post by salbev »

hello all.
i am having a problem with my second lathering. i build it on my face which is fine for the first pass and then wet my face and go to put on the second coat and blammo! nada zilch no more lather. i recently cleaned it but this can't be it because i have not noticed any significant change in performance.

the brush:
127 mm
"best badger sterilized in england" no other labels.
new except for sitting on a shelf in my home for about 15 years!
smells great. looks great.

the soap:
pre de provence

i would very much appreciate some help here as i am kind of getting frustrated.

thank you gentlemen.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I suggest you try a different soap or a cream. I give detailed instructions for building lather on the face in this post, along with some cream recommendations. With a much smaller brush, I have plenty of lather for 4 or 5 passes.

BTW, I think you must be measuring the brush incorrectly. Even for loft 127mm is one heck of a large brush. Knot size (diameter at base of bristles) usually runs 20-32 mm. I like a 22mm..
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

Leisureguy wrote:I suggest you try a different soap or a cream. I give detailed instructions for building lather on the face in this post, along with some cream recommendations. With a much smaller brush, I have plenty of lather for 4 or 5 passes.

BTW, I think you must be measuring the brush incorrectly. Even for loft 127mm is one heck of a large brush. Knot size (diameter at base of bristles) usually runs 20-32 mm. I like a 22mm..
hello, sir.

sorry about the measuring confusion there. i just listed the total mm of the brush from top of bristles to bottom of handle. which was approx. 5 inches which is approx: 127 mm.

i have read and reread your post several times so i know i am following sound procedure. i will try to find some palmolive in a tube sometime this week.

and i will update this post if i see any results.

thank you Mr. Leisureguy for all your help.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Ah. Now I understand. The reason I suggested trying something different is that I also have trouble getting a good lather with pre de provence. Let us know how the Palmolive works. (I find other soaps easy, but that one and a couple of others are difficult.)
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

salbev wrote: i will try to find some palmolive in a tube sometime this week.

and i will update this post if i see any results.
I recently tried some Palmolive and I have to say that this stuff makes some great lather, with little effort. I really hope they don't discontinue it. Though, I would still have enough creams for well over a year, and I just joined this forum a little over a year ago.

Good luck and keep us updated.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

Leisureguy wrote:Ah. Now I understand. The reason I suggested trying something different is that I also have trouble getting a good lather with pre de provence. Let us know how the Palmolive works. (I find other soaps easy, but that one and a couple of others are difficult.)
i gave the other soap i had on hand another shot and put the pre de provence on the "shelf". yesterday i used dr harris soap in a wooden container. the scent is cologne which i like. anyhow the lather was much better and looked like it could have lasted about 4 passes. i only did my usual newbie 2 with touch ups. but still you were absolutely right on, Mr. Leisureguy.

has anyone else tried pre de provence? if so, i would be interested in your experience and maybe any tips to make it work.

thank you.