Another new boy

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Smedley

Another new boy

Post by Smedley »

Might as well join another shaving board. :D

Been shaving with cartridges for a long time. Then I had some bad shaves with one. Then something inside me snapped when I got a free sample of the latest five blade razor. Dissatisfaction about being a consumer pawn for the razor industry welled up in me.

Had my first DE shave today with a basic setup. Have some vintage Gillettes in the mail, and the blade sampler kit. Looking forward to mastering DE technique and moving on to a straight razor after.
--
David

Jocular signature found elsewhere
freebird

Post by freebird »

welcome to the group. I'm also a relative newbie around here. I too tired of the amount of money going into the wastebasket and am going directly to straights My straight razors are out being honed as we speak.
The guys on this board are great!
Tony
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, and keep us posted on your progress, your questions, and the razors and brushes you like. Don't overlook LetterK's blade sampler... Lots of differences among different makes of blades.
SharpClaw

Post by SharpClaw »

Smedley

All the people here are very helpful.
so feel free to ask any questions. :D
Sol

Maher & Grosh Str8
Kingsley Tortoise Silver
Tabac Shave Soap
Nivea Soft
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Always glad to see some new straight razor users!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jbc

Here are my top reasons I switched from a cartridge razor

Post by jbc »

1) Cost - got sick and tired of paying $3 for something that is simply a hunk of plastic.
2) Quality - DEs wipe the floor with anything a cartridge can do.
3) Availability - I go on vacation now and then (lucky me will go on a cuise in central amaerica shortly). Just try to get a cartridge blade in central ameria haa haa. DEs are there and are rather the dominant type in central america.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Rob

Re: Here are my top reasons I switched from a cartridge razo

Post by Rob »

jbc wrote:3) Availability - I go on vacation now and then (lucky me will go on a cuise in central amaerica shortly). Just try to get a cartridge blade in central ameria haa haa. DEs are there and are rather the dominant type in central america.
Is that right? I had no idea. I wonder if we could find some S. American blades, creams, and the like?
jbc

Was on a cruise last year

Post by jbc »

Stoped in Belize city, which was a terrible slum. Checked out one tent where someone was selling shaving implements they had several different brands of DE blades, no cartridges what so ever. Had a few streights hanging on the wall of the tent. Got back to the ship and curious, the ship folk said that the cartridges cost far too much for central americans to buy them. Some Central american nations even make their own brand of blades and razors. As long as they make them to a certain dimensions and they can be assured that they will work in what ever shavers make their way into the country. Will be in central america again this spring and will be better equiped to keep my eyes open for the blades. Interested to see what sorts of brands I find down there and what they sell for. Might even pick up a pack or two see what they are like.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

jbc,

What brand of DE razors do they use in Central America? Budget Gillette clones, a la the Weishi razor?

Like Rob, I'm also intrigued about what kind of shaving creams they use, and where one might get some.

Dave
jbc

Some Wilkerson and Personnas

Post by jbc »

Saw some Wilkerson and Personna blades in Belieze last time I was there.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving