Greetings from a new DE user

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
w00tfest99

Greetings from a new DE user

Post by w00tfest99 »

I read all kinds of stuff and watched Mantic's videos and decided to take the plunge. Here's my beginner's equipment:
Merkur HD classic razor
Merkur blades
Omega badger shaving brush
Proraso shaving cream
Nivea aftershave balm

I just did my first DE shave and it wasn't too bad. It wasn't much worse (in terms of comfort afterwards) than my Mach 3 Turbo. The shave was closer though. It was hard forgetting the way I usually hold the razor which may have led to some of the aftereffects.

The main problem I had was that I have very sensitive/thing skin on my neck, especially around my adam's apple. Do you guys have any suggestions for that area?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF!

Do you have a name we could call you? We often "sign" our posts at the end with a name by which we would like to be known.

I think your shaves will get better on their own as you become more comfortable with handling a DE razor and your lathering skills increase.

With a DE razor, managing the angle is very important. After that, you take multiple passes over the same territory, from different directions (with the grain = WTG, across the grain = XTG, and against the grain = ATG). The purpose of this approach is to reduce the beard with each pass until you finally have it smooth.

I'm still working on shaving around the Adam's apple, myself. The throat and neck are tricky because you have beard growing in different directions and because of obstacles, such as the sharpest bumps in the Adam's apple. I'm getting better at this with time.

It goes without saying that you can't just drag a blade over the sharpest bumps on the Adam's apple. That leaves you with finding in which direction you can pull that patch of skin off the peak of the bump, yet still have the whiskers stand up to be shaved off. You can experiment by pulling the skin on your throat in different directions to see where you get the best result. As I said, I'm still working this one out, myself.

Just keep at it. You will get a lot of good advice here, and your increased familiarity with the process will result in closer, more comfortable shaves. Practice is a big part of it and I wish you the best.

- Murray
hampsteronastick

Post by hampsteronastick »

Welcome,
The Adam's Apple can be tricky. Most of the guys around here have had theirs surgically removed to facilitate a better shave :shock: but if you aren't willing to go that far, try shaving after a hot shower. The heat, along with some hair conditioner really helps to soften the beard, especially in those tough spots. I know that some people like Merkurs but for me, they don't work very well. Experimenting with blades may work well for you.
It sounds like you are otherwise off to a good start.
Dan
Daddy, why are you dipping the hampster in whipped cream?
It's not whipped cream, it's shaving cream.
Daddy, why are you shaving the hampster?
w00tfest99

Post by w00tfest99 »

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't really thought of pulling the skin to a better part of my face to be shaved.

-Matthew
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Matthew,

Welcome to the boards!

The Merkur HD is a great razor, but can be a bit much for first time users. I found it to be more aggressive than my gillette adjustable. I would definately recommend one of them to anyone interested in wet shaving.

If you like the Proraso cream you might try the pre/post balm and the aftershave balm. Be forewarned that they are heavily mentholated. Some people have a sensativity to that. They are great products to use in the summer though.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Matthew -

I used a Merkur Classic Long Handle for awhile, but I found it fairly aggressive also. I bought a Chinese Weishi razor (actually, I bought 10 of them 8) ). It is a much gentler razor, and my shaves are now easier, smoother, and more uniform.

This razor appears to be a reasonable copy of a '50s - '60s Gillette Super Speed (SS), and it comes in a nice little travel case. You can get it at Cotton Blossom Crafts:
http://www.cottonblossomcrafts.com/weishi_razor.htm

If you have the opportunity to get a Gillette SS or Tech, the Gillette would still be your best choice.

- Murray
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

For shaving the adams apple area, other than being very gentle and not pressing down, you can try experimenting with holding a swallow. Yes, I know this sounds really strange, but trust me on this. Start by watching your adams apple in the mirror while you swallow. At some point during the swallow your adams apple will flatten for just a moment. Do it a couple times to get a sense of when it happens and then just practice holding the swallow at the time it flattens. Once you can do that, you can shave it. But still use very little pressure with the razor.

Good luck.

- Joseph
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome. Once you've broken the ice with the first shave, things come together quickly. I discuss in the post at the link below my signature a number of shaving techniques (including the information you've been given about shaving the Adam's apple). Check it out and see if other info there is useful.

I do highly recommend that you get LetterK's blade sampler. The Merkur blades are (to me and to many others) harsh and dull, and you're likely to find some other blade that's best for you.

Enjoy.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Re: Greetings from a new DE user

Post by mantic »

w00tfest99 wrote:I just did my first DE shave and it wasn't too bad. It wasn't much worse (in terms of comfort afterwards) than my Mach 3 Turbo. The shave was closer though. It was hard forgetting the way I usually hold the razor which may have led to some of the aftereffects.

The main problem I had was that I have very sensitive/thing skin on my neck, especially around my adam's apple. Do you guys have any suggestions for that area?
You might get some value from viewing my latest video, which by coincidence addresses both how to hold the razor and how to deal with the adam's apple! Basically, hold the razor like you would either a dart or a spoon (depending on where you're shaving). For the adam's apple, try "holding" a swallow to flatten the area as you shave.

--Mark
JimmyWilliam

Welcome

Post by JimmyWilliam »

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you have a workable setup. I ended up with a Gillette adjustable myself and am also learning the DE ropes.

I found that near my adams apple, the whiskers grow straight back toward each side of my neck. I can only shave with the grain and then cross grain in both directions there (see mantic videos for growth pattern details).

If I try to go completely against the grain there, I get bad burn and bumps. I don't try to get as close a shave there as on the rest of my face.

All the best.

JW
Ruddy cheeks and face of tan, Neatly shaven, What a man! - Burma-Shave
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

mantic wrote:You might get some value from viewing my latest video
Which by the way is another Masterpiece!

- Joseph
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

Leisureguy wrote:I discuss in the post at the link below my signature a number of shaving techniques (including the information you've been given about shaving the Adam's apple).
I hope I didn't plagiarize your blog. Sorry if that is the case - it is one of my favorites.

- Joseph
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

No problem in repeating stuff from the blog. It's common wisdom, and even if you copy-and-paste no problem, though in that case I think a link would be nice.

BTW, for those who don't read the blog, this morning I found a new dictum: that the smoothness and comfort of a shave is due 40% to the razor and 60% to the blade. I might even go 30-70.
w00tfest99

Post by w00tfest99 »

I finally shaved with my DE again (I wanted to heal a bit before I did it again). I think I underestimated the importance of moving the skin around to get it into a good position. Also, I think last time I had it at too sharp of an angle, so I eased it off a bit this time and there is definitely less irritation. It's not as close a shave as I would like, but it is only my second time so I can't expect that much. Stupid left side of my face is hard to get the correct angle simply because I'm right-handed.
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

wrath186 wrote:
The Merkur HD is a great razor, but can be a bit much for first time users. I found it to be more aggressive than my gillette adjustable. I would definately recommend one of them to anyone interested in wet shaving.
ditto

gillette adj at setting 3 is a great place to start off at. I found the merkur HD to be more aggressive than the GA at setting 3.

-R.
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

I couldn't find a swallow, so I grabbed my neighbor's cockatiel and tried holding that while I shaved. What a mess! Feathers and bird poo everywhere, and I got a terrible shave. What am I doing wrong?
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

yoyology wrote:I couldn't find a swallow, so I grabbed my neighbor's cockatiel and tried holding that while I shaved. What a mess! Feathers and bird poo everywhere, and I got a terrible shave. What am I doing wrong?
:lol: Let the hilarity insue... :lol:

Have the bird hold the razor and shave you... :lol:
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
JimmyWilliam

Post by JimmyWilliam »

nodaktim wrote:
yoyology wrote:I couldn't find a swallow, so I grabbed my neighbor's cockatiel and tried holding that while I shaved. What a mess! Feathers and bird poo everywhere, and I got a terrible shave. What am I doing wrong?
:lol: Let the hilarity insue... :lol:

Have the bird hold the razor and shave you... :lol:

I tried that but ended up with the bird flu... (or was it the bird flew???)

JW
Ruddy cheeks and face of tan, Neatly shaven, What a man! - Burma-Shave
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

w00tfest99 wrote:I read all kinds of stuff and watched Mantic's videos and decided to take the plunge. Here's my beginner's equipment:
Merkur HD classic razor
Merkur blades
Omega badger shaving brush
Proraso shaving cream
Nivea aftershave balm

I just did my first DE shave and it wasn't too bad. It wasn't much worse (in terms of comfort afterwards) than my Mach 3 Turbo. The shave was closer though. It was hard forgetting the way I usually hold the razor which may have led to some of the aftereffects.

You got some good gear there. You have already received some great advice. It does get better and better. Just let the weight of the razor do the work. Welcome aboard!

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"