New to Wetshaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
turboshaver

New to Wetshaving

Post by turboshaver »

Hello All,

I read the MSNBC article last week and have jumped right into wet shaving. I received my first badger brush Sat and have used it twice. What a difference it makes, good stuff. I could really feel that it made the hairs stand up.

Prior to my foray into the wet shave I used an electric razor and a Gillette cartridge razor for special occasions, when I was not in a hurry and wanted to look better. Now I've got a vulfix brush a Mach III and some Art of Shaving product (shaveing cream and after shave) that I received for Christmas.

I plan on getting a DE safety razor in a few weeks.

Also, I wanted to contribute my experience with shave oils. I got a shave at the local Art of Shaving shop as a gift and the barber said that I needed to use oil. I had some grape seed oil around and have used this with no problems. However, I have not tried it since I got the brush.

Grape seed oil may be a good choice for someone who likes shave oil, it is light, clear, odorless, and I'm told it has astringent properties. I have never had it goop up a razor.

Cheers,
Bill
rcymozart

Post by rcymozart »

Welcome to SMF!

I started with some Proraso and a Mach III myself. My first DE razor is a Merkur HD and while there's been a learning curve, it's blown the Mach III out of the water.

I'm thinking about a badger brush myself to replace a cheap, but usable, boar hair brush once my tax return comes in next month (and after I buy the new fridge I need to use that for; food does come before shaving for me at the moment). I'm glad to see yet another good comment about the difference it can make.

Good shaving!

RoberSMF
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Congratulations on your first post, Bill!

Since you're planning to move from your M3 to a DE, it's good you're doing it soon. My first plan was to learn on an M3 for a year or two, then maybe get a DE. The gents on this board convinced me that cartridge shaving and DE shaving are very different animals, in terms of the blade angle and the pressure of razor against skin; they thought I'd just pick up habits that wouldn't help in the long run. It does seem like I made an easier transition from electric to DE than many long-time cartridge users experience.

I also started out using oil, but after a month of wet shaving, my skin changed for the better (all that good cream and ASB, maybe), and I didn't need the oil any more: as always, YMMV.

--Glenn
jbc

Here is my bias

Post by jbc »

I am quite biased here. I hate electrics and anything with a cartridge. Turbo you just made the best decission of your life.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving