New acronym: SCABLE

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
yoyology
Captain Yo

New acronym: SCABLE

Post by yoyology »

I'm shamelessly stealing this from Knitting Rules, a book I just finished reading.

The author speaks of what she calls SABLE, or [Yarn] Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy. In other words, you have more yarn than you could possibly use before you die. I think we can easily modify that to Shaving Cream Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy. Heck, I think some members have SCABLE with one brand of cream or soap alone!

Anyone want to own up to it?
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Dr. Ole Vedoc says that there is no cure,,,,alas....we're doomed.
Steve/Bronco

Post by JackieMartling »

I'm getting close. What is almost certain is that I have more shaving creams than I could possibly use up within their life expectancy, or shelf life. If I stuck with one cream long enough, I could figure out my average usage, then figure out how long it would take me to use up every last bit of what I've already got. I'm sure it would take years, if not a decade or more.

~ Nathan
Ben

Post by Ben »

If you suffer from this, the only cure is to fill a bathtub with the shaving creams, roll around in the mess untl you're good and lathered, then shave every hair from your body.
Last edited by Ben on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Ben wrote:If you suffer from this, the only cure is to full a bathtub with the shaving creams, roll around in the mess untl you're good and lathered, then shave every hair from your body.

That just created a very bad mental image Ben. Thanks :-B
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

nodaktim wrote:
Ben wrote:If you suffer from this, the only cure is to full a bathtub with the shaving creams, roll around in the mess untl you're good and lathered, then shave every hair from your body.
That just created a very bad mental image Ben. Thanks :-B
Actually, it's pretty cute if you picture his avatar doing it.
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I'd have to study on how long my cream and soap stash might last, but I know I have about a stash of blades that should last me about four years.

Dave T
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

We should have a contest to see who has the biggest hoard. Everybody could list what they've got, including the approximate number of grams (or whatever measurement unit we decided on) present per item. He who has the most grams is most dysfunctional and in need of therapy! It might also be fun if people listed the approximate dates they acquired the items, if they can remember. What do you say?

~ Nathan
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I probably wouldn't win -- which wouldn't mean I'm not the most dysfunctional, by the way -- but I could give the winner a good run for his money. I stocked up on the C&E almond oil cream and have about 10 tubs and jars of it left. And then there are the other creams and soaps, and I have four more tubs on the way ...

Dave T
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

That's a stockpile, Dave, no doubt. I'm pretty close to that on stockpiled Musgo Real. As soon as I have some time, I'll put my cream where my mouth is and compile and post my list. It will take some time, though. Watch this space....

~ Nathan
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Let me get this right: Is the guy with the most cream and soap the winner or the loser?

Dave T
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Both.

~ N
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

JackieMartling wrote:... As soon as I have some time, I'll put my cream where my mouth....

~ Nathan
Make sure to post on how Musgo Real taste, later then... :P
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

JackieMartling wrote: I'm pretty close to that on stockpiled Musgo Real.
Why? Why? Why are you stockpiling Musgo Real? What do you know? Who told you? What have you heard? Why? Why are you stockpiling it? ANSWER ME! ANSWER ME!

...what...? ...hysterical...?... nonsense....

Why? Why? Why are you stockpiling Musgo Real? What do you know? Who told you? What have you heard? Why? Why are you stockpiling it? ANSWER ME! ANSWER ME!
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Relax, Michael. It's something of greater worry for me and my therapists (yes, plural) than for anybody here. I discovered both Musgo cream and soap on a rope late last spring at a small shop in Uptown Minneapolis, just before I moved. I took to them so much, I went back and bought a few more tubes and bars, because I thought I might be going through them fairly quickly, and because I figured I'd prolong the period before I'd have to order them via the mail. Then, I decided to order some of the Musgo colognes through Classic Shaving, and to better amortize the shipping, ordered some more tubes of cream and bars of soap. Now that I look at how much I have, for the life of me I can't figure out why I thought it was a good idea to buy so much, especially since I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.

On a related note, when I moved to Portland, I visited my favorite local shop and found they had six remaining bottles of the old formulation of Musgo Real aftershave, the one in the cork box. The tester they had smelled very faint - much more to my liking than the newer formulation I had, which I found to be very strong. I thought I was on to something, so I bought every last box they had. Then, to my chagrin, I discovered the old formulation is every bit as strong in scent as the new formulation. Apparently, their tester had been sitting out so long, it lost its potency. Either that, or my nose had gone numb from all the other fragrances I'd been smelling up to that point. So, I've got five brand new bottles of the old Musgo just sitting around, plus a sixth barely used one, as well as a bottle or two of the newer formulation, all too strong for my preference. I do like the cream and the soap, though, and I'm sure I will be using them...even if I end up registering for AARP before I get through it all.

~ Nathan
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Sell your creams and buy soaps. That's what I did and problem solved and it was a HUGE load off my mind. I sleep a whole lot easier knowing my creams aren't slowly dying...I mean drying in the cupboard.
Richard
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Richard, one nice thing about Musgo cream is that it comes hermetically sealed in metal tubes. I'm not worried at all about its shelf life. Now, the English creams in the tubs are a different matter. You may have a point.

~ Nathan
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Nathan,

Share the wealth... :D

I love Musgo Real cream but have not tried any of their other products...yet :wink:
~ Tim ~

freebird

Post by freebird »

I'm just starting out, so I've not got too much of a stash.
Soap wise I've got:
3 mug brand shaving soaps,
1/2 cake of Burma Shave (the new stuff),
3/4 cake of a sample from St Charles Shave.

Other stuff:
6 or 7 mugs,
2 good brushes,
several (not sure how many as most are packed away) DE razors,
1 good straight razor,
1 good strop.
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Just off the top of my head, (at work, not home where I can do an accurate count):

27 creams and soaps x 12 brushes x 9 razors = 2916 possible combinations: 8 years with a different shave every day. And if you consider one of 8 possible aftershaves, that makes 23,328, or 64 years.
And then there are the EDT's.......

Regards, Stan