Want to use Straight shaving, has questions...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ead

Want to use Straight shaving, has questions...

Post by ead »

Hello
I am really into shaving with straight razor, I think it is a nice thing and so on
and usually a barber does it for me
So, I want to do it on myself within my home
I have no problem of buying it and spend some $ on it and getting into it
But
My father, and closed friends say it is to "Risky" and I can hurt myself really badly and so on
and they also say it take a PRO to shave, and it allmost impossible to shave yourself (unlike the barber who shave other guys)
So, I want to get into it, but I am a little frightening about the idea of cutting myself or getting ugly scars on my pretty face with gentle skin

What shell I do? can some one help me here and tell me things? maybe your first experience with straight razor and why should I do take a chance on it and so on?

I was thinking of getting this Razor as a start
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...646/795305.htm
What do you think?
Does using a Feather is a good choice?
I have so many questions even after I have read so much, hope you guys be tolerant with me :wink:
timc

Post by timc »

The link didn't come across right; here is the URL: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 795305.htm

The Feather Artist Club is an excellent razor used by a number of folks around here. It is indeed possible to shave yourself with it, but it does take some practice and patience to shave yourself. I haven't used one myself, but there are several gents around here who love them.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
ead

Post by ead »

So
Will it take time to learn using it?
How good is it for a shaving? I have heard people say it is to sharp, what does they mean?
Also
Will I cut myself a lot? I don't won't to have scars :?
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Here’s a link to the post relating my first shave with a straight. I personally ditched my Wilkinson Xtreme3 and directly bought a Feather AC with guard blades in April 2006. Thereafter I tried DE shaving, which I abandoned, and I’m now trying to properly use a regular straight.

Let me tell you one thing: a Feather AC is sharper than the straight your barber uses. It is not a straight razor minus honing and stropping, it is a different beast. The learning curve will depend on your dexterity and patience.
ead

Post by ead »

So I don't understand, is the Feather is good str8 razor for novice?
Will I enjoy it and make the best out of it?
and is the fact that it is a very sharp one should frighten me or what?
What should I do?
prism

Post by prism »

Don't be afraid of the straight razor, it looks much more menacing than it is. There are really two ways to cut yourself badly with a straight. 1. If you sneeze violently in the middle of a pass (kidding) or 2 if you shave with a dull blade. I cut myself the first time, and it was just a thin red line. It was'nt deep, and it did go away. Most straight razors are not shave-ready, even brand-new, out-of-the-box ones. For this reason, I strongly recommend you go to http://www.thewellshavedgentleman.com. Tony Miller will hone your razor before sending it to you so it arrives shave-ready. He has a good selection of strops and hones. Please visit the site and read what he has to say. I was very impressed! Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. Vic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think it would do for a beginner, but if you haven't any experience with straights at all, you should start with the guarded blades. If you choose to go to a traditional straight instead, you should buy an old razor that has been honed by an expert - there are usually some for sale on SRP, or get a honed new one from Tony Miller.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ead

Post by ead »

Ok so if I am getting a kit for me
What should I have in it? what knife and so on?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you are looking at buying a complete kit in one go, then Tony Miller does sell them. His shop seems to be down right now, but follow the link above a bit later on and it will probably be back up. Do download the straight razor guide on this site's homepage and read it first.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Beg your pardon? You "don't want scares"? Why not? Very romantic...Heidelberg dualing scares and all that.....oh, very well!..no scares then, if you insist. In any case, DO read Chris Moss' guide, and maybe take a look at Lynn Abram's video. Depends what you've been using to shave, as to what would be easier to learn with. If you're used to using a double edge, then the Feather might be easier to learn with, as the same principle of minimal pressure applies. If you are used to cartridges, a traditional straight really might feel more comfortable to use. There is no reason not to give this a try, if you want to. All kidding aside, straight razors normally only cause scares when they're used as weapons.
Regards,
Gordon
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Remember: 'Chicks dig scars and pain is temporary'.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
ead

Post by ead »

bernards66 wrote:Beg your pardon? You "don't want scares"? Why not? Very romantic...Heidelberg dualing scares and all that.....oh, very well!..no scares then, if you insist. In any case, DO read Chris Moss' guide, and maybe take a look at Lynn Abram's video. Depends what you've been using to shave, as to what would be easier to learn with. If you're used to using a double edge, then the Feather might be easier to learn with, as the same principle of minimal pressure applies. If you are used to cartridges, a traditional straight really might feel more comfortable to use. There is no reason not to give this a try, if you want to. All kidding aside, straight razors normally only cause scares when they're used as weapons.
Regards,
Gordon
If I am used to cartridges why would a traditional straight be better for me?
Do you think it is a good way to start shaving with a straight?
What is the different and why will I feel more comfortable using the str8 edge?
khari

Post by khari »

There is nothing wrong with starting with a straight razor, you just need to do your homework. If you read Dr. Moss' guide and watch Lynn's video, you'll be ready to proceed slowly. I bought a Feather Artist Club two or three weeks ago and I haven't cut myself yet. I bought the Pro-Guard blades (also found on the Classic Shaving website), which makes it pretty difficult to hurt yourself. Just be patient and take it slowly.
scoop

Post by scoop »

I've also just started with a Feather and the Pro-Guard blades. Although the shave may not be as close as the unguarded blades, it's giving me time to learn to handle the razor. And Dr Moss' guide should be considered required reading!
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

What have you been using to shave? Cartridges or a safety razor? If the former Id just get a safety razor and use that until youre good at it. Itll give you a chance to get used to using blades, getting the right angle, things like that. If youve got DE shaving down, than you shouldnt be that nervous about a straight. Guys on here use them all the time, and theyre guys just like you.