Straight stell blade VS carbon steel ?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ead

Straight stell blade VS carbon steel ?

Post by ead »

Hi
What is the main distinction between Carbon steel razor and a steel one?
Is a Carbon better for a novice ?
What do you like and why?
:?:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Carbon hones to finer edge and is easier to hone, but is more prone to rust and loses its edge quicker. Stainless is harder to hone, doesn't get quite as sharp, keeps that edge longer and is less prone to rust. Go with carbon steel until you have become an experienced honer.

It really is all in the Guide.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ead

Post by ead »

drmoss_ca wrote:Carbon hones to finer edge and is easier to hone, but is more prone to rust and loses its edge quicker. Stainless is harder to hone, doesn't get quite as sharp, keeps that edge longer and is less prone to rust. Go with carbon steel until you have become an experienced honer.

Chris
Yep but lets say that someone is sharp the edge for me (service), so isn't it better to take a steel and then have a razor that will last for more time and will get less rust? :roll:
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

ead wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:Carbon hones to finer edge and is easier to hone, but is more prone to rust and loses its edge quicker. Stainless is harder to hone, doesn't get quite as sharp, keeps that edge longer and is less prone to rust. Go with carbon steel until you have become an experienced honer.

Chris
Yep but lets say that someone is sharp the edge for me (service), so isn't it better to take a steel and then have a razor that will last for more time and will get less rust? :roll:
That's a matter of personal preference. If putting in the extra effort to maintain a carbon steel blade does not appeal to you, then go with the stainless.
~Greg
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

If you maintain your equipment, you'll never, ever have to worry about rust. I do what Ilija (FiReSTaRT) suggests, wipe your straight with rubbing alcohol after drying it and that should take care of any worries about rust. Remember, these are tools, the better they are maintained, the better and longer they will wirk and last.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
ead

Post by ead »

Oh I am guy who take cares of his "tools"
I have knifes and so on, and they all look like brand new, but I love "harder" steel that I won't need to sharp to often
So
Is it better to use a steel then carbon?
:?
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

ead wrote:Is it better to use a steel then carbon?
There really is no answer for that. Again, that is a choice best left to you. Both choices have advantages and disadvantages.
~Greg
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

ead wrote:Oh I am guy who take cares of his "tools"
I have knifes and so on, and they all look like brand new, but I love "harder" steel that I won't need to sharp to often
So
Is it better to use a steel then carbon?
~sighs~
Perhaps a Mach3 or Fusion is the way to go for you. :P

~Tye
ead

Post by ead »

Yep I see
amm well that is a "hard" decision :wink:
What do you guys have and why?
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

ead wrote:What do you guys have and why?
I personally prefer carbon steel. I feel the extra bit of sharpness is worth the extra maintenance.
~Greg
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

ead,
DO NOT get a stainless steel straight razor as your first razor. I cannot put it more clearly than this. By all means get someone else to hone it for you, but even so, the stainless edge will only very rarely be as good as a carbon steel edge. When you learn to hone for yourself, you will find stainless very frustrating. I know, as my first straight razor was stainless steel!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ead

Post by ead »

drmoss_ca wrote:ead,
DO NOT get a stainless steel straight razor as your first razor. I cannot put it more clearly than this. By all means get someone else to hone it for you, but even so, the stainless edge will only very rarely be as good as a carbon steel edge. When you learn to hone for yourself, you will find stainless very frustrating. I know, as my first straight razor was stainless steel!

Chris
Ok
Tanx man! :D
So I should go for the carbon stell as a first one?
prism

Post by prism »

Just going out on a limb here ead, but I think Chris recommends you get the carbon steel. :D
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

After re-reading Chris's post a time or two, I have to concur with Prism on this one.

~Tye
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Any bets on the next question being 'what brand'?

~Tye
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Well, once you've got it down to carbon steel, there are still brands and sizes to be worked out.

- Murray