Cheap shaving tools guide for a newbie.

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Rob_TN wrote:
stephen732 wrote:i'm interested in purchasing a gillette classic w/the nov 15, 1904 patent date. how does one find out the year it was made? and what years were they in production?
I don't know exactly, but these websites should provide you with a start.

http://www.collectorsencyclopedia.com/

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm
Good to see you Rob!
Stephen - The collectors encyclopedia site is up and down a lot so keep trying.
Steve/Bronco

Post by stephen732 »

Rob,
everything gillette on one page. awesome, thanks!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks, Steve. And you're quite welcome, Stephen.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Updated over the weekend to reflect changed prices, discontinued items, and dead links. I added the Omega Pure Badger brush. I've heard good things about it and the price is right. Omega is pretty good quality, too. Added Michael's excellent book. Good luck, newbies!
bleedingface

Re: Cheap shaving tools guide for a newbie.

Post by bleedingface »

Rob_TN wrote:I’ve written this little guide for anyone who is interested in shaving with a safety razor.
This guide was the impetus for me to drastically reduce the amount of money I was spending on my initial wet shaving purchase. I ended up getting:
  1. Merkur "Hefty Classic" Safety Razor
  2. DE Blade Sampler Pack, Small
  3. Classic "Hand-Made" Shaving Mug (With Fresh Lime Shaving Soap)
  4. Vulfix #VS/5 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush
Tried it this morning and it wasn't bad at all. Everything fits pretty well in the mug.

I attained a very close shave by going downward twice, sideways once, up once, and finishing off with some detailed bits where leftovers occurred. My neck still likes to bleed and is somewhat irritated after the shave. However, definitely better (less irritation) than the Gillette Mach 3 garbage I used before, and much closer than the Braun Complete 360 which I've since relegated myself to using. I attribute this mostly to the quality of the razor that I used (Merkur Super Platinum).
kvanderslice

Post by kvanderslice »

Just wanted to chime in and give my thanks, Rob. Great list and really helped me out. Waiting with baited breath for the packages to arrive. :)
Karl
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

Rob,
Let me join the chorus of approval on this list. It really is the kind of post that belongs as a sticky. Thanks!

Newbies,
Please trust this list. I've been wetshaving for several months now, and this week wanted to try a "frugal" shave (thanks, Mantic, for the idea) using very inexpensive, but quality products--all but one on this list.

My tools:
Tweezerman brush
Merkur HD--my only razor, so more expensive than others on the list,
Dorco blade (sample pack),
VDH soap,
Aqua Velva.

(I added L'Oreal's ASB with sunscreen, solely because I like it as a lighter sunscreen that's inexpensive.)

I got a fantastic shave on par with some of my very best using much more expensive products. No nicks, no cuts, BBS that lasted well into the evening after an early AM shave.

Rob speaks the truth: You absolutely do not need expensive products to get started--or to keep going for months. Are some more expensive products worth it? You bet. But, you don't need to spend that money to get started, and to enjoy great shaves for months to come!
Bryan
Hoos

Thanks!

Post by Hoos »

Thanks for the great introductory thread. I've been considering returning to using a DE safety razor for some time.

The cost of the razor itself hasn't been too big an issue. But looking at the cost of soap at the local shaving emporium made me cringe ($58 for a clay bowl with a bar of soap from D.R. Harris).

Now that I've found some more inexpensive alternatives, I'm looking forward to the adventure.

I appreciate the info for a returning wet shaver (only other time was with my dad's razor as a young man) and look forward to my first shave.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
ProbateGeek

Post by ProbateGeek »

Two weeks with my '63 Gillette slim adjustable, and I want to also add my thanks for this excellent info.

I do have 3 comments that seem appropriate:

1. Williams shaving soap: can find it everywhere here for the usual $1.50 or so. I am so in LOVE with the smell of this stuff! I can only think it's something my grandfather used to use? However, we have extremely hard water here and the lather I get with this soap literally dissolves off my face in about 45 seconds (unlike my Crabtree & Evelyn soap). Too bad - I'm hooked on the smell.
2. I have been looking for 2 weeks now but have yet to find a single puc of Van Der Hagen shave soap ANYWHERE. Odd?
3. As far as storage/display of multiple razors, Richard aka "lionhearted" and I just hit upon a very inexpensive solution: old pipe racks, which can be picked up on eBay for under $10. I like that idea...

Again, many thanks!
Terry
BEGIN EARLY - SHAVE YOURSELF.
kkentert

Post by kkentert »

OK- I'm kinda nervous here. I've gotten myself all excited about getting a DE razor. I HATE shaving. I always have razor burn on my neck and it makes me crazy. Now then, that said, I figure if I'm going to shave, I might as well get the BEST shave I can so I can shave every other day (and I love being really clean shaven when I do shave)
Now here's the issue. I've read about how great the combo of sin prep, oil, brush&lather, and a DE razor are, but when I was talking to my dad about it, he said I was out of my mind. He told me he used to DREAD shaving every day because he was terrified of the DE razor.
I expected to get some nicks here and there, but I don't want to shred myself while I'm learning. What are your thoughts?
While learning, is it just a few nicks ehre and there, or is it a lot. And once you've learned, can you get to the point where you almost never cut yourself?
Thanks!
george

Post by george »

I've only been wet shaving since Christmas '07, and I've only used a Merkur 38C (barberpole) and Merkur blades, so YMMV. However, I've had little trouble with nicks when I shave WTG and then XTG. I shave about every other day and I've been going a week on a blade and I wouldn't say that my shaves are fantastically smooth, but I'm trying to get a technique down that won't shred my face.

I'm going to try another brand of blade this weekend and see how it fares. Perhaps your father was the victim of bad blade/face combination but didn't have ready access to other blades...
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

ProbateGeek wrote: 2. I have been looking for 2 weeks now but have yet to find a single puc of Van Der Hagen shave soap ANYWHERE. Odd?
PG, I bought some at Walmart two weeks ago.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Rob wrote: You’ll need some blades to go with that razor. You will buy a blade sampler pack from West Coast Shaving. This is not a recommendation, it’s a requirement. You’ll never be able to accurately evaluate the shave from a safety razor until you find the right blade for your face. $13.25
I'm still a newbie, but I regret not buying more types of blades. I got my initial order from Giovanni at http://www.razorandbrush.com I would recommend to the newbie to buy one pack of every blade that Giovanni sells. If I had done that, it would not have increased my shipping cost.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ken to answer your question, yes, once you get your technique down you should be shaving without any nicks, cuts or irritation.
Regards,
Squire
wkodgzeke

Post by wkodgzeke »

thanks, that definitely helped!
DCLawyer

Post by DCLawyer »

Let me just chime in my own congratulations. One thing I've learned here is that you can save a LOT of $$$ and only compromise a little (or none) on quality.

A few items:

-I replaced my AOS Hair Gel (around $30) with Clean and Groom (about $5 at CVS and elsewhere)

-AOS now offers a "starter kit" for about $38 - brush, cream, oil and AS. A good way to quickly and inexpensively dip your toe into the world of shaving brushes and luxury creams. http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/pr ... &trk=group[/url]

-Also, I'll add my pleasure with Clubman's new shave cream: at $7 a tube (all you need is a pea sized amount) it is a very good deal on a very fine cream.
Blades

Post by Blades »

ProbateGeek wrote:Two weeks with my '63 Gillette slim adjustable, and I want to also add my thanks for this excellent info.

I2. I have been looking for 2 weeks now but have yet to find a single puc of Van Der Hagen shave soap ANYWHERE. Odd?
Terry

Terry,
Did you find any VDH shave soap yet? I know they have it at my Wal Mart, I can pick you up a bar if you would like? Let me know.

Jason
Haine

Post by Haine »

I've one question, is it at all possible to find some sort of search engine that will locate a local shaving retail outlet?

I've been wanting to try DE shaving for the longest now. In my hopes it'll bless me with a decent not irritated shave. (I end up breaking out in razor bumps a day and 1/2 tops after shaving.)

I wouldn't be looking for a retail outlet If I wasn't trying to stick to a budge t of 120$ >_< Its the shipping costs that worry me, in addition I had a friend send me something from australia and it took roughly 2-3 months to get to me. So my experiences with buying/recieving anything outside of the US isn't the best.

In short. HALP! :3

And thank you.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Haine,

Welcome to SMF. This is the place to get your shaving questions answered and for some good discussion about wet shaving.

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to find everything you need to begin DE shaving in a brick & mortar store. So I have sent you a PM (private message) with some help with your search for DE wet shaving equipment.

Good luck in your search for equipment that will not break your budget and still give you a great shave.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Haine

Post by Haine »

ThePossum wrote:Haine,

Welcome to SMF. This is the place to get your shaving questions answered and for some good discussion about wet shaving.

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to find everything you need to begin DE shaving in a brick & mortar store. So I have sent you a PM (private message) with some help with your search for DE wet shaving equipment.

Good luck in your search for equipment that will not break your budget and still give you a great shave.
I really shouldn't type on forums late at night. The spaz in me shows. :o

Anyway, thank you for the warm welcome, the PM, and have a Happy New Year. :)