Newbie needs a DE

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
kefijlm

Newbie needs a DE

Post by kefijlm »

Hey guys, new to the wet shaving thing, been using electric for awhile with subpar results. I used to shave with a mach 3 or sensor back in the day (im 25) but I have always had a problem with razor bumps, even tried tendskin, which left my face in ruin. Anyways, I have been slowly working my way to shaving the classic way. I now have a badger brush, T&H ultimate comfort, proraso and palmolive which I have been praticing my lather with. First shave was yesterday with a sensor excel and T&H. Much better results, although still some irritation but better. Also picked up some witch hazel, skin food and some good balm with better results.

I have been trying to win an old gillette on ebay, which has turned out tougher than first thought, i don't want to spend too much on my first DE. Anybody have any newbie vintage gillette's lying around they could part with fairly inexpensively? Hehe, my wife has noticed my spending on shaving supplies lately, used to just buy the cheap gel and razors.

P.S. very nice and informative forum, I hope to be getting the nice shaves
that most are getting with "classic wetshaving" soon.

Thanks guys,
Josh
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Josh,
If you aren't too picky you should be able to pick up a vintage 1950's to 1960's Gillette Super Speed that was made in the USA on eBay for less than $15.00 shipped most everyday. Heck you might want to keep and eye out for a "Lot" of vintage razors...buy them cheaply and take the time to learn how to clean them up ( check search function on this site cleaning razors) and then you'll be off to a great start. Another suggestion is to go to your local antiques and collectible shops/malls and they usually have old Gillettes there for under $10.00. Heck I've bought them as cheap as a quarter. It is more satisfying to find them there and restore them to a nice shaving tool with scrubbing bubbles, MAAS Polish etc. Good Luck.
Mike
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Also, note the sticky above by Rob_TN on a beginner's shaving kit. He identifies some inexpensive razors you could try, along with other things the new wet-shaver might need or want.
jbc

Post by jbc »

My experiences are quite simillar to yours kefijlm. I have all used the same instruments that you did and gotten the same results. I came to the same conclusion that you did. My wife says the same things to me that yours does. I have some advice that may be able to help, in the long run the double edge razor will cost less then either the electric or the cartridge razor. True the double edge razor costs $30 as compared to the $9 for the cartridge razor, the long run costs of the blades are much less then the cartridge razor, $3.50 per cartridge and .30 cents for the double edge. Over the long haul you are saving boat loads with the double edge. Run he numbers your self you will find as the amount of time you keep the razor increasese the double edge looks better and better on a cost comparison basis. Tell your wife this, she is looking at the short term costs and forgetting the long term costs. In the long haul the double edge costs much less.

As for getting the razor my advice is try knifecenter.com. Prices are excellent and their is always a great supply. knifecenter has an old english gentlemen's razor (CC022) which is a copy of the old Super speed for $25. My advice is to order a 1901 clasic from knifecenter (CC163). Use the stock numbers that I have given you will get faster and bette service this way. 800-338-6789. www.shavingsupplies.com
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Josh,

Essentially, what JBC is correct. Unless, of course your develop RAD (razor acquistion disorder)... :twisted:

then you could be spending a lot on razors and the like. If you are interested in a 1953 Superspeed with a lot of brassing, but shaves well, send me PM of your address and I will send it to you at no charge. FREE is the cheapest way... :D
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tim

You're a good man. It is acts like yours that make this such a great forum, plus I'm sure you get bonus points from the wifee :wink: for being so kind and generous.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Actually, SWMBO shall never know... :P

I do have an ulterior motive though. I acquired my '47 and '54 SS from here within the last couple of weeks and they have seamlessly replaced my two '53 SS razors in my set. Now I just need to get rid of the evidence and get them new homes. One is in route to it's new home now to Barrett and Josh will be getting his sent out in the next day or two so I have time to clean it up.

Besides, I have received so much help and information from members on this forum that I need to "pay it forward" to others.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
jbc

Post by jbc »

I have heard, not long ago, from a woman who actually preferrs having her husband with a razor acquisition disorder. She says that it is much preferrable to have him distracted with the shaving routine then with his mind on other women. At least with the shaving acquisition disorder he is not in the sack with other women.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

jbc wrote:I have heard, not long ago, from a woman who actually preferrs having her husband with a razor acquisition disorder. She says that it is much preferrable to have him distracted with the shaving routine then with his mind on other women. At least with the shaving acquisition disorder he is not in the sack with other women.
Yes, but a jealous razor is not a pretty site either...
Lyrt wrote:Some days are better than others. :x

:lol: :lol:
~ Tim ~

nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I posted this in the other thread but wanted to copy it to here as well...
nodaktim wrote:
kefijlm wrote:Hey guys,

I just won this on ebay, did I do alright? Also have a Weishi on the way, thanks Murray! And a Letter K sampler. I am converting from a Sensor to DE shaving.

Josh

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0099775720
Josh,
Did you still want/need the Superspeed then, or should I try to find it a different home?
Josh,

Let me know, so I can either send it to you or find it another home to someone who possibly does not have a DE yet.
~ Tim ~

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Come on Josh...Answer the man :shock:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jbc

Post by jbc »

What type of razor is that Nodakim? My guess is its a super speed, have no idea what year it is.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving