Tips before I attempt my first DE shave (Shave: Attempted)

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

I guess I'm lucky, I've really only gotten one or two nicks so far. I can be a pretty patient guy, so I've been extra careful.
-Billy
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

Okay, so I got some pretty rough razorburn with my last shave. It's still fairly smooth, so I think the Derby blades are definitely working well for me.

However, I think that I'm really just way more aggressive with the angle than I need to be. I don't cut much of anything with what seems like the proper angle from what I've read. If I use the proper angle with the Weishi, I end up with my beard maybe halfway reduced by the third pass. If I get the shave I want, the angle is too steep and I usually end up with a little irritation for my trouble.

Is the Weishi my problem, or am I just not being patient enough?
-Billy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Billy -

The correct angle varies between different razors. When I went from the Merkur Classic (long handle) to the Weishi, I noticed immediately that the angle with the Weishi was different (thought I don't remember in which direction).

I think experience will guide you to the correct angle with the Weishi. Once you get the feel for that, you should be able to adapt to other razors more quickly and easily.

- Murray
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

That's good to know Murray. I would say I am definitely more angle savvy than I was with a mach 3, and I don't turn my face into a mess.

I plan to stick with the Weishi for a few months at least, and then maybe try a Merkur HD or the new HD long handle that I've read about on Badger and Blade. I may try to score a Gillette as well, just to cover the bases and see what kind of razor suits me best.

Thanks again for the razor Murray, and the soap as well!
-Billy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Billy -

That sounds like a good plan. As the razor becomes a known quantity to you, it will also become a consistent platform for trying different blades.

As for the correct angle, at this point you might just need to feel it out and analyze it less :D

- Murray