The Trumperman "Roll"

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jrgroucho

The Trumperman "Roll"

Post by jrgroucho »

I was perusing the forums in order to get my required 6 hours of SMF and came across this post. I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else or how many people do this, but I tried it tonight and was able to get the closest shave on my neck ever. I have done (very light) ATG passes on my neck and either draw blood or incur horrendous discomfort, so I was willing to leave it at a slightly (after three passes) stubbly neck for a while. It looks like I may not have to after all. For the sake of full disclosure I did get a few nicks, but I really think that's because I also bumped my razor up a notch today as well.

Thanks Bill.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Hello Jeremy,

I glad to hear that the "trumperman roll" worked out for you. I discussed this with Gordon awhile ago and told me it's a part of "method shaving". I didn't know they had a name for it as it just naturally came to me. (I didn't know I was a Methodist! ) I chimed in on that thread with my $.02 and hoped it may help someone.

Be sure to lather well on the neck area. I spend more time lathering than I do shaving. I especially hit the old neck with a good thick lather. I normally do a S-N on the neck and then do the "roll" ATG and, if needed, a chevron (or sargeants stripe) starting from the bottom of the neck and work my way up.

It sounds like you nicked your neck by "banging" the razor down right before your pass. Be sure to use short strokes and treat that razor like a feather. Your DE will be controlled by the end of the handle up by your fingers.

Thanks for your kind words. I feel like I've contributed something to someone on the forum and that's what it's all about.

Kindest Regards,
Bill
Don't think......shave.
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Well, I'm not sure what John Wesley would think about it, but I'm glad your a "methodist" :wink: . So this is something Charles teaches? maybe I should look into method, though I feel like I really have the hang of everything now. I agree with the lather, I used a really "cushiony" Proraso lather.

Thanks again,

--
Jeremy
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Could you explain this a little more in depth, Bill? My neck is a PITA, especially under the chin area. I usually can get most of it AG, but have a nick or two to show for it. Are you using your wrist to roll, sort of like you are waving if your fingers were open?
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Pete,

Yes, definitely with the wrist. I hold the razor with the thumb and two fingers at the very bottom of the handle (opposite end of the blade head) and then commence the "roll' as I described in the post: "I place the blade bar of my razor against my neck at the most aggressive angle." Start your movement with the razor and roll the razorhead inwards to the least aggressive angle. I do this in one movement using my wrist. Use a light touch.

I hope this helps as I have a hard time explaining a movement that is natural to my shaving technique. The roll should be no more than about an inch and 1/2 in length. On the whole,I shave with very short strokes except for the neck roll.

For under the chin, I shave upwards from the middle of the neck and flip the razor head away from the chin as it leaves the edge of the skin.

I hope this helps you as well.

I don't know who Charles is but maybe he can chime in and give us some insight.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. For the record, mt Great-Great-Grandfather was a prominent Methodist minister. Alexander Clark. He's in the picture of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Poor chap wore a full beard most of his adult life and missed out on the relaxing splendor of wet shaving![/i]
Don't think......shave.
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

I had a little clean up to do on my cheeks, so I gave it a try, it seemed to work pretty well. It kinda a blade buffing motion, with a roll on it. Ill give it the pepsi challenge tomm or the next day and report the my results. Im hoping it will work for me as well as it did for Jeremy. I got pissed earlier tonight and ran my razor atg under my chin, pressing down through the stubble. Needless to say I had to bust out the syptic pencil. Got rid of the stubble though.

The Charles Jermey was referring to is the inventor of the method shaving "movement" I guess youd say, I dont remember his last name. Hes supposed to be a real nice guy in person, but man, he is just about the worst writer Ive ever read. He has the dubious distinction of being the only person Ive ever read to use the movie "A perfect storm" in an analogy.
timc

Post by timc »

Pete_T wrote:I got pissed earlier tonight and ran my razor atg under my chin, pressing down through the stubble.
Ouch. Why did you go and do a thing like that? I think there's a story to tell here.
Pete_T wrote:Hes supposed to be a real nice guy in person, but man, he is just about the worst writer Ive ever read.
I think you need to get out more! :lol:
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
MikeRyu

Post by MikeRyu »

I just tried the roll and it was pretty great. It really helped clen up a couple of lingering spots on and around my adams apple. Nice one Trumperman. :)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

He's in the picture of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
Bill

I envy you. To have family history like yours must make you feel quite proud.......and the stories that are told. Wow!

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Random

Post by Random »

Mark down another fan of the Trumperman Roll. Just got the best lower neck shave I've had because of it :D
- Barret
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

timc wrote:Pete_T wrote:
I got pissed earlier tonight and ran my razor atg under my chin, pressing down through the stubble.

Ouch. Why did you go and do a thing like that? I think there's a story to tell here.

Pete_T wrote:
Hes supposed to be a real nice guy in person, but man, he is just about the worst writer Ive ever read.

I think you need to get out more! Laughing
Hmm, obviously my quote-fu is poor

No, no real story, I was just in an annoyed impatient mood, and I was like "Ill show you chin wiskers!". I kinda regret it now cause I prolly should wait a day before I try Bills clever method.

I tried to find the method shaving PDF that I saw the first time on the forums, it was a good 100 pages of nonsense with some very few and far between nuggets of infomation. Think of it as a 30 foot wanton with and normal sized center. I didnt get too far. If youre saying I need to get out more to find worse writers, thats not a very good reason. Many more like that and I dont think Id ever leave home.
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Pete,

There is a copy on the method shaving website as a PDF. It does not wait too long before getting to the "Perfect Storm" analogy. I skimmed the first half and had to take a break. Maybe I'll finish someday. :wink: :lol:

--
Jeremy
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Yep, you found it Jeremy. I dont know how you got through half of that thing, I got to the part where he equates the ineptitude of our govt to the poor shaving techniques that we practise and had to quit this time around.

Anyway, I finally got around to trying out Bills roll yesterday, and I have to say it really sucks. Just kidding, it works great, its the best thing thats happened to my shave since starting this whole thing. Once I get it down I think that I may be able to get BBS after two passes. Had some problems getting the motion down with my left hand, but Im sure that will pass. Its almost like a "scoop" motion when youre doing it ATG. Its definitely a keeper. Ol Mantic needs to put it in one of his vids so everyone can try it.

Well, my thanks to Bill for inventing this great method and sharing it with us. Thanks to Jeremy too, for seeing it in that thread and having enough sense to say "hey, that might be a good idea".
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Thanks Pete, glad I could help :lol: . No, I give all the credit to Bill and really only started the thread so I could say thanks. I'm glad it has helped others.
The hair on my neck grows flat against my neck and this seems to be the only way to get the little buggers off.

--
Jeremy
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Hi Guys,

All I can say is "necessity is the mother of invention". My beard grows like Jeremy's. Actually, my neck hairs started going wild when I hit my 40's. I could never get a good close shave down on the old neck area. When I returned to DE's I started experimenting with blade angles on the neck area and fell into the "roll" which gave me excellent results. I happened to mention it in a previous thread and never thought it would help anyone. I'm really glad that some of you have tried it and have attained the same success that I have found with the "roll". I'm sure it's been done before by gents from a bygone era. Maybe we have rekindled a lost technique that has gone by the wayside. I think it's time for a disclaimer: Do not try this with a straight or a Rolls razor!!!!!

Let's hope this inspires another member to come up with something that we can all try to better our shaves. That's what it's all about here at THE shaving forum.

Keep on "rollin'"

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Smedley

Post by Smedley »

Played around a bit with this today and it seemed to make a real difference. I will pop in a fresh blade tomorrow and test it thoroughly, but this looks like a valuable technique to add to the arsenal! Thanks for sharing!
--
David

Jocular signature found elsewhere
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Well, I feel a need to chime in again about it. I hadnt shaved for about 4 days, and was tired, but needed to shave. I did a two pass shave using this techniqe (wtg then atg) and got a bbs shave. I did get a couple nicks, but I think thats cause Id turned my fatboy up and my technique isnt down yet. But damn, four days of hair gone in two passes. Its perfect for me cause even three passes got on my nerves. I dont mind them so much now that I dont have to do them (if I feel like taking more time). DE shaving often seemed less utilitarian to me than cartridge shaving, something I liked doing, but not as practical. With this its now much more functional, a cartridge would have been completely clogged 90 percent of the time.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Pete_T wrote:...Ol Mantic needs to put it in one of his vids so everyone can try it....
I tried it this morning and it worked quite well. I'll be sure to include it in my next "technique" video. :D

--Mark
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

I tried it this morning and it worked quite well. I'll be sure to include it in my next "technique" video. Very Happy

--Mark
I was just about to ask if this was the hook technique in Mantic's video.
I suppose not now!
I am not sure exactly what the method is.
And I do not have a Hardy Boys "Method Shaving" decoder to find it from enchante!
Yes, I had a hard time reading his writing! But I did find it very fascinating.
I get terrible neck shaves also - so I would like to learn this.
Could it be used for the whole shave?
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

It sounds like Pete used the roll on his whole shave. I only use it on my problem neck area. I must admit that I've never seen Mark's videos and will have to change that very soon. I don't need to "roll" on my face as I haven't found the need but if someone else finds it acceptable then put it in your bags of tricks. We're all here to further the cause. Keep us all posted on your findings

Keep on rollin'

Bill
Don't think......shave.