First DE shave with my Weishi!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
kefijlm

First DE shave with my Weishi!

Post by kefijlm »

Hey guys,

Just got my Weishi and shaved first time tonight. All I can say is wow. Much better than my sensor. The dorco blades must be ok because they glided through 4 days of growth. Only one nick on a former ingrown but otherwise very good. A little burn, not much and not BBS but only did 2 passes, one with and one across the grain. Not that hard to use the DE. I also think I made my best batch of lather tonight, which helps. Used T&H ultimate comfort. Can't wait until my sampler gets here to try some other blades but like I said Dorcos seemed pretty good. Thanks to Murray for the Weishi and this forum for the guidance.

Josh

What order should I try the sampler blades in?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The general guide is this order:

Merkur, Israeli, Derby, Swedish Gillette, Feather.

Spend a couple of weeks with each make so you really get the feel for it before going on. And enjoy yourself.
spencergray

Post by spencergray »

Hey Josh,

I also started DE shaving (about a month ago) with a Weishi that Murray gave me. I like it very much. I'm not yet to a BBS, but I'm working on it. My neck is really tough for me to shave without irritation. Anyways, I'm glad you had a good first shave. Welcome to SMF.

Spencer
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Josh,

Michael (Leisure Guy) gave you some very good advice (as always). TAKE YOUR TIME. Give each blade a chance so you can make an informed decision. Many of us have also found that differnt razor blades work better in different razors, so if you purchase another razor you may have to go through the process again (or not).

And as always, everyone has a preference. Search the posts, ask questions and enjoy the forum.

And don't forget to...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey Spencer,

I know we discussed this on another thread, but how is your neck coming? Better I hope. Keep us informed.

And as always...

(Racso) Oscar...
kefijlm

shaving experience

Post by kefijlm »

Is it just me or are the DE blades much sharper/better at cutting hair than the blades used in cartridges? I could never get that glide with my sensor. Always had some degree of dragging. Seems that men should have never started shaving with cartridges. Just my opinion. My dad still uses a sensor with no problems but I am considering getting him to try DEs again.

thanks guys,
Josh
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

Actually, I'm getting a fair amount of drag with my Merkur blades already on the second shave. Should I go ahead and graduate to the Israeli to see if that works better? I didn't get this kind of drag with the Dorco blades that came with the razor.
kefijlm

Post by kefijlm »

I would go with what works. Seems like Dorco blades work well for me, so unless I see a vast improvement somewhere else, I would consider buying a bunch of those and use them. I wouldn't get caught up in trying to make a blade work for you because it works for someone else. If you get a better shave with a less expensive/popular blade, then I see that as a bonus.

Just my rookie opinion,
Josh
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

Oh I will default to the dorcos if they end up being the best blade. But the popular blades are popular for a reason, so I figured I would at least try out everything in the sampler pack (up to the point that I get a shave that is not comfortable) before settling for the dorco, however.

I was mainly concerned that two days of shaving with the Merkur would be enough to say "Well, these aren't sharp enough for me" since it has a tendency to drag.
Tryphon

Post by Tryphon »

frikazoyd wrote:Oh I will default to the dorcos if they end up being the best blade. But the popular blades are popular for a reason, so I figured I would at least try out everything in the sampler pack (up to the point that I get a shave that is not comfortable) before settling for the dorco, however.

I was mainly concerned that two days of shaving with the Merkur would be enough to say "Well, these aren't sharp enough for me" since it has a tendency to drag.
I wrote about the DORCOs in a separate thread. The cut close, but are very gentle and forgiving. They are my favorite blades for use on aggressive razors and I would certainly advise newcomers to DE shaving to consider the DORCOs.
Disclaimer: I sell DORCO blades.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Josh and Frikazoyd,

If the blade you are using is not cutting clean, there are two possibilities.
1. Your technique needs improvement or 2. You need to change the blade. It will be up to you to decide when to change the blade utilizing the same brand or changing brands.

Every shaver has his own preference. Some like one, some like another. I recommend, if you bought the LetterK sample pack, you go through the whole pack and make an informed decision after the experimentation. If you stop at one blade brand you won't know whether you are using the best blade for you or not.

And as always...

(Racso) Oscar...
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Merkur blades just don't work at all for me. So I think you're right to move on in the sampler packet.

So far as the drag effect of a multiblade cartridge: that's probably due to the "tug-and-cut" action. The drag you're feeling is from the "tug." So, yes, a single blade razor will cut much more smoothly in terms of its action.
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

Thanks guys, I'll be trying an Israeli tonight.
jayb

Post by jayb »

Let us know how the Israeli works man!
Justin