I'm an idiot: How do I load my new Weishi?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
George Bryant

I'm an idiot: How do I load my new Weishi?

Post by George Bryant »

This is the single dumbest thing I've ever asked on an internet forum, but I'm a bit clueless. I've taken the plunge into DE shaving, mostly for financial reasons, and ordered a Weishi from Cotton Blossom. However, I'm not loading it right somehow. I twisted the handle, the little latch doors open, and I dropped in my blade. The blade doesn't stick out far enough to cut really anything though, I tried. I've tried the blades that come with it and some persona blades I bought from walmart, no luck. Any thoughts? After reading so much on how to shave without cutting my face to ribbons, I think it's funny I've ended up with a razor I'd have to try really hard to cut myself with.
timc

Post by timc »

Are you able to post pictures showing what the razor looks like after you've loaded the blade? I can't imagine why the blade wouldn't stick out far enough. You did close it tightly on the blade, right?
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

George B.,

My guess is that you are trying to use the razor at the same angle you used a cartridge razor. It doesn't work that way. The razor handle should be closer to parallel with the floor than with your face. It the blade were to stick out further than the guard, you would have far greater troubles. Try adjusting the razor so you're closer to slicing the hairs, rather than scraping them off.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If the blade even goes in, you've done it right. You may find you prefer one brand of blades, but they all fit the same.

The razor doors have to touch your face at all times when you're shaving. If the bar near the blade is the main thing touching your face, you're doing it wrong.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Look at the design of the razor. It has a curved head. You will need to tilt the handle downward until the razor blade is touching the skin.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

This has got to be the saddest newbie post yet. I would think that it must be a defective Weishi razor. Will someone with an abundance of razors please lend this brother a Tech or SS. We can't let this brother suffer like this.
:!:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

jrgroucho wrote:George B.,

My guess is that you are trying to use the razor at the same angle you used a cartridge razor. It doesn't work that way. The razor handle should be closer to parallel with the floor than with your face. It the blade were to stick out further than the guard, you would have far greater troubles. Try adjusting the razor so you're closer to slicing the hairs, rather than scraping them off.

--
Jeremy
this nearly has to be the case, the easiest way to do what Jeremy describes is to place the doors of your razor against your cheek so that the handle is perpendicular to your skin. Lower the handle until the blade enagages, dont go too far. You'll want to maintain that angle the best you can throughout your shave. good luck

and welcome to the forum :!: