Shaving Powder

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jbc

Shaving Powder

Post by jbc »

Anyone know anything about Shaving Powder? What is it? From a historical basis did the powder proceed the creams and soaps? It would seem to me from reading the instructions on the package that it would have been invented before the cream and soap would have been. What is your opinion of the quality of the lather you get from them? Assuming that you can obtain a can of shaving powder at $2 and a soap for $1.25 cream for approximately $3.99 is the quality of the lather such that you would chose the powder over the soap. These are approximately what I pay in my area for these items. What is your overall opinion of the powder.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Shaving powder is the Devil !!!! Stay away....bad mojo....

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

I believe they're all depilatories, dont think you'll be too impressed with the lather :lol:
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

James is correct. All "shaving" powders are in fact dipilitory agents (read: Nair.) They are intended for use by African American men who can have terrible in-grown problems due to the curliness of their hair. I supposed they could be used by anyone who wants to chemically remove their hair. Just know that they have nothing to do with shaving.
Brett
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Do not use them...

Leave them alone...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

JBC, I think we need to clarify what your asking about, lest you wind up with the nasty stuff that the above gents are warning you about ( chuckle ). Real 'shaving powder' is not available in the US, as far as I know, although I've been told that it can sometimes still be gotten in a few places in Italy. The real stuff is a very old form of product. There was a big debate, along about, oh, the 1790s or so, in the London gentlemen's periodicals regarding hard shaving soaps vs. shaving powders ( the one author that I've read came down decidely on the side of hard soaps...the 18th c. version of our favourite soaps vs. creams discussions..chuckle ). This stuff was really a form of granulated soap that the shaver whisked up to form a classic lather.
Regards,
Gordon
jbc

Post by jbc »

Thanks a bunch y'all have saved me time and effort.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving