Lather too wet / drying too quickly

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
LawMonkey

Lather too wet / drying too quickly

Post by LawMonkey »

First of all: Hello! I've been trying to get the perfect shave for a while now. I'm a perfectionist, and shaving has been a source of some frustration to me ever since I started. That, along with an appreciation for the old-fashioned, traditional quality of it all, has led me to DE razors, brushes, soap and cream...

One of my several spots of trouble has been getting the proper sort of lather. Following the suggestions of classicshaving.com, I let my (Vulfix, if it matters) brush drain, but do not shake. The trouble is that it retains a great deal of water--enough that any attempt to make later is a bit sloppy and messy, with lather slopping out of my hand, onto the floor, and all over the place.

Once I am lathered, the trouble seems to go in the other direction: it dries out far too quickly. I shave my moustache area and chin last; by the time I get there, the lather is pretty much dry.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I'm gathering from reading posts that a bit of shaking water from the brush is not inappropriate...
jbc

Post by jbc »

don't know either if this makes any difference but do you have the bristle, mix, badger or super badger?
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Shake out some water, just not all of it. Experiment to find out how much works for you.

You need a bit less water, and maybe also get a bit more soap on the brush. Thin watery lather dries out too fast, but if you make it a bit richer then the problem will disappear.
jbc

Post by jbc »

I agree sometimes I put too much water on the brush which prevents me from getting a good lather.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
AlBaron

Post by AlBaron »

Try lathering in a bowl, not in your hand.
I would recommend either a cheap soup bowl, or a large latte mug
Alexander