Closeness of a DE shave?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Curves

Closeness of a DE shave?

Post by Curves »

Gents,

Well I am a 22 year old college kid and for the last few months I have been slowly getting into the whole wet shaving experience. At first I started using a better routine in the morning while still having my Mach 3 razor.

I would

1) Shave right after a hot shower
2) Use a quality cream such as Proraso and apply it with a brush (cheapo)
3) Use light pressure on the Mach 3 blade
4) Apply a good aftershave product such as Proraso Pre-Post cream

I noticed that my shaves were closer, more comfortable and with less irritation which is good. I decided to go ahead and purchase a Merkur HD Long Classic razor and have used the standard Merkur blade so far.

My shaves now are a little more comfortable than before but the closeness isn't really there. Is this just a result of the face that I am still a newbie at all this? (total 5 shaves with DE)

Anybody have any tips on getting a closer shave or is it really a matter of time?

Thanks a bunch in advance guys!!

Evan
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Closeness of a DE shave?

Post by notthesharpest »

Curves wrote:My shaves now are a little more comfortable than before but the closeness isn't really there. Is this just a result of the face that I am still a newbie at all this? (total 5 shaves with DE)
Yes, it is just a matter of time. Since you control the blade angle and the pressure, you have to allow yourself time to get used to that. Did you get one of Letterk's blade sampler packs? He has done a very helpful thing by offering them. (Basically you get a few of each of the well-known good blades, to try them and see which you like the best.)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Evan -

If you are doing a single-pass shave, a cartridge razor will give you a closer shave. That is where it has the advantage. However, with the Mach 3 that you are using, you are essentially doing 3 passes with each pass of the razor (one pass for each blade, but all in the same direction).

The advantage of a single-blade razor, such as a DE or a Schick Injector, is that you can do multiple passes, in different directions, for a closer shave and less irritation. For example, you can do a pass with the grain (WTG), a pass across the grain (XTG), and a pass against the grain (ATG), gradually reducing the beard much more efficiently than you could with 3 passes in the same direction.

- Murray
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Hello Evan,

Try some different blades. I tried my first Derby this morning with a Gillette red tip(supposedly know to be aggressive) I had a very Non-aggressive shave. I've been wet shaving for over 40 years and have been pretty set in my ways for the last few years of DE shaving but have learned from this forum about trying different ways to shave. I find it very interesting reading about the different razors and blades. By using a certain brand blade I tamed an aggressive razor. Try some different blades and, perhaps, razors. You'll find your "groove" eventually and have a bunch of fun doing it.

Hang in there Evan. It will only get better. Remember, a DE is to be respected, not wielded around your face like a modern cartridge hunk of crap.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I agree with everything's that been said: a different blade can make an enormous difference, your technique will improve over time, making multiple passes (with light pressure and correct blade angle) will make an enormous difference---and, finally, the razor: I just used a Gillette black-tipped Super Speed the other day, and I found that the stubble grew out VERY quickly: not a very close shave. OTOH, I get great shaves with other razors: HD, Slant, Futur, Vision, Progress, Gillette Fat Boy, Wilkinson Sticky, etc., etc.

I guess that particular Super Speed was too mild for me or didn't fit my technique. It's now in the surplus box.