Just starting

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Chris---Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you aboard!

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

I agree the silver handle is a bit undesireable. :shock:

I used the proraso cream and aftershave balm for the first time today with my cartridge razor and I really like it. I can not wait to get my DE razor.
One more question, how many shaves should I expect per blade? I know this probably varies based on hair type and how many passes per shave etc, but since I have no idea at all I wondered if anyone could offer an average number?
Chris
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Chris,

Most gents say between 3-6 shaves depending on blade type and how often they shave. If you skip a day or two before shaving it may count down on the number of shaves per blade. When you feel the blade start to pull or tug just toss it and get another one as they are not expensive. The most expensive ones (I believe) are still less than a dollar each.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

Thank you Tim.

I know at this point I must be pushing the limit of noob questions, but I have one last one.

Does it matter what I use as a shaving mug or bowl? A lot of the ones I have seen look like coffee mugs to me so I was actually thinking of just buying a cheap wide coffee mug. The only advantage I saw of buying an actual shaving mug was to get one with a cover.
Chris
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

As you said, depending on the quality of the blade and your personal preference you can expect 3 - 5 shaves per blade. Some change their razor blades on a specific day (i.e every Saturday) regardless of how the blade is cutting.

I've found that some blades (for me) last longer or not as long depending on the razor in which it is used.

Merkur blades last longer in Merkur razors for me, but the Derby's and IP's last longer in the Gillettes. I can't comment on the Feathers or Wilkinsons (yet) but I'm going to give them a go soon.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Chris,

Do not feel awkward asking questions on here. All of us continue to ask questions, that is a majority of what this forum is about. The gentlemen of this forum are very patient and helpful with questions.

In regards to shaving mugs...It is just a matter of preference. The large coffee mugs you see typically are the cappuccino mugs found at Walmart, Target and the like. The handle can come in handy if you are making your lather in the mug opposed to doing it directly on your face. If you are going to make your lather in a bowl, be sure to get one large enough to give you maneuverability (approx. 5" diameter and 3" deep). If your going to lather directly on your face, then you just need something large enough for your brush to rest in. Another consideration is heat retention. Most here (not all) prefer warm lather. You can either double-stack two bowls with the bottom one containing warm water and the upper bowl for lathering/storing of your brush. The Moss scuttle is a nice idea but you might want to wait to buy one until you try a cheaper alternative to make sure that is the kind of set up you want. They are about $50 and take a month to make.

http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/contemp.htm#scuttle

Sara makes each one from scratch and Dr. Chris Moss (an Admin and member here) designed it.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

Wow, that scuttle is very nice. I wonder if Sue can make a lid for it?

Thank you again for all the info.
Chris
jbc

Post by jbc »

While we are on the subject of the shave mug or bowl let me ask a picky question. I have been using a mug that was given to me as a part of a shave kit many years ago when I was still using that terrible electric. Don't knwo if it is a simple mug or a shave mug. As I understand the major difference between a mug and a shave mug is that the mouth of a shave mug is a bit widder What is the standard dimension of a shave mug in HWD. how large is the opening at the mouth of the standard shave mug.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving