Can I do it without a brush

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
purebad

Can I do it without a brush

Post by purebad »

so my Weishi razor arrived today, but my brush has not, and I'm so excited to get started, can I try to do it without a brush or should I just wait ?
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Sure you can use a DE without a brush. The brush and soap/cream combo is quite luxurious, but you can still use a DE with canned foam/gel/etc. and many have and/or still do.
John P.
jbc

Post by jbc »

You could but would not recommend it. There is a reason why you want to use a brush with your routine. See for yourself, try without the brush and you will see the reason yourself. The double edge razor tends to be a lot harder on your skin without the brush and soap coming before it and it will be more likely to nick you. Don't believe try it, there is a reason why you need the brush. I tried this myself and turned myself to swiss cheese. Make sure you also have a sampling of blade brands, different blades do better on different people. So you will need to establish which brand is best for you.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
prism

Post by prism »

I agree with JBC, I don't recommend it, especially your first time at bat with a DE. You waited this long, give it another day or two. Vic
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

If you can get a hand pump bottle of kissmyface shave cream, you will NOT have to use the brush.
I always do, but have found out that when I am in a hurry I just follow the directions on the bottle, create a nice lather by rubbing my hands together, and PRESTO!
But the canned stuff has hurt me with de's if you must know.
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

If you have supplies on hand that can be used brushless, go for it! Why not? I remember my dad using a DE with canned foam. I even remember getting him a "hot foam" machine for Christmas one year. It was done for years. Not exactly the tradition we are trying to promote, but in a pinch, do it!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, if you already have some of the traditional style lathering cream, you can lather it up in your palms and then apply it to the face. I've done that in pinch, on a trip when I forgot to pack my brush ( yes, I know...but it did happen once ). Or, as Randy said, you can use the canned stuff, preferrably the foam, not the gel. Like his dad, I shaved for twenty years using my Gillette DE and canned Barbasol. Wasn't Trumpers, but it worked okay.
Regards,
Gordon
jbc

Post by jbc »

What others are saying about the creams is true. If you go to your local super market you will no doubt find some foamy or barbasol. One of these can subistute for the brush until it arrives.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

You can buy Proraso in a can maybe that would work. Go find a target while they still carry it.
Chris
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

I'd wait for the brush. You could do it, but you'll find the whole wet shave exerpience much more enjoyable with all the appropriate gear.
Mike
ead

Post by ead »

I think you can, in fact sometimes I even do it just for the "fun" out of it

But, I think it really ruin it, so I advice you as a newbie, don't go for it
Please wait for the brush :!:
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I'd do it. Every once in a while I'll use Headblade or the Edge brushless cream I was given as a Christmas gift...Just remember to really soak your face with warm water before using.

All the best
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
jbc

Post by jbc »

I can certainly understand your desier to get started ASAP, I have done that myself many times. The brush is necessary,but you can get around it by using a cream. The trouble is how much do you have to spend to get started ASAP, will that cost be equal to or greater than the cost of the brush? If the cost of going without the brush will cost as much as or more than the cost of the brush itself then the best idea is to wait for the brush. A cheap and good quality cream like Barbasol should cost approximatly $1.25. Should be cost effective for a few months while you wait for the brush to arrive.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Entering the wet shaving world with a DE without a brush, is like driving a car with no brakes imo. Watch our for them curves!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?