New guy geting ready (First shave now completed)

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
dizz

New guy geting ready (First shave now completed)

Post by dizz »

Hi, this is my first post and after reading a fair bit on here i have decided to try a safety razor.
After wet shaving for about 20 years with mach 2&3's my wife bought me a straight razor, brush and cream (very scary) but after two years on and off trying im back to the mach 3 because i can only get an average shave on one side and a poor one on the other side of my face. But this was not a waste of time as it introduced me to a Crabtree & Evelyn brush and cream and made me dump that tined rubbish, im 42 years old small to medium build with a relatively smooth (if dry) face and a not too thick beard growth.

what i have is a Crabtree & Evelyn (super badger) brush and sweet almond oil cream (which i like) and Nivea sensitive moisturiser.

I have just orderd a Merkur 34 HD as it seems to be well liked and ok for a beginner and Proraso pre shave cream and Taylors avocado shave cream as the Crabtree & Evelyn is almost all gone.

any help/advice will be much appreciated
thanks,
Dizz.

Ps. This could easily become an obsession (is this a bad sign?)
Last edited by dizz on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM first and foremost. You've come to the right place for all of your wet shaving questions.

First go here: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15973

Then go here: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006/07 ... xperience/

Then go here: http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

After reviewing all of the above, if you have any questions feel free to ask. We will be more than happy to answer.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
timc

Re: New guy geting ready

Post by timc »

dizz wrote: Ps. This could easily become an obsession (is this a bad sign?)
I think you'll fit in around here just fine. :twisted:
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Racso_MS wrote:WELCOME TO THE FORUM first and foremost. You've come to the right place for all of your wet shaving questions.

First go here: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15973

Then go here: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006/07 ... xperience/

Then go here: http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

After reviewing all of the above, if you have any questions feel free to ask. We will be more than happy to answer.

And as always...

Dizz---Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you here. I echo what Oscar has shared. And yes, this is an obession, a good obsession, but an obsession none the less. Don't try to fight it :D :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Taylors avocado
Dizz

Many gents here rave about the Taylors avo so you're off to a good start with your cream. I've never used pre shave stuff so cannot comment. I use a Merkur too and get excellent shaves with it. Just go slow and easy and you'll be prefectly fine

Clive

p.s. I'm really jealous that you live in the shaving capital of the world.
de gustibus non est disputandum
Risky

Post by Risky »

Mach 3 to straight is like Robin Reliant to F1 car. Don't blame you for going back to the Mach 3.

Shaving with a DE will allow you to learn some great techniques and a better understanding of things that could prove useful if you later decide to revisit straight razor shaving.

Welcome to the community :)
James R
jbc

Post by jbc »

I find it a bit interesting that you managed to go from a Mach to a straight in the first place. The straight is a much more difficult item to do the job with then the Mach is. However, like anything else in life if you extend more effort you ca expect more in return for the effort. That said the straight gives you a much better shave then the Mach does. That said you need to learn to wield the straight properly. Have you gotten lessons from someone who has been wielding a straight for decades? In my opinion the straight is better than anything a safety can provide and for a much lower cost over the long run, since you need not buy anything more. I would urge you to go find an experienced teacher and learn to use that straight properly. There is a document on this web site that explains show to use a straight, don’t know where it is anymore. Do you have any old time barber shops in your area? If so take your straight with you and see the oldest in the shop. He will no doubt understand how to use the straight properly. The challenge will be to convince him that you intend to shave with the straight rather than use it as a kitchen knife. While most people on this forum tend to use safeties I believe there are a few on this forum that use the straight.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

If you like the idea of using a straight, you might want to consider the Feather Artist Club. You don't have to worry about getting the blade sharp, stropping, or anything like that.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Dizz, you are lucky in that everything you need and tonnes more is available in this country (you may already be aware of that anyway). We can get hold of some of the best blades really easily, not to mention soaps/creams etc. if you need any Britcentric help just let me know.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
dizz

Post by dizz »

Thanks for the help guys, ive now got lots to links etc read and enjoy.

Yes i now know that it was a big jump to go from a Mach to a straight and that was probably why i was less than successful but you live and learn, i am still drawn to the simplicity and pure nature of the straight (what do i sound like) by the way my straight is a (Dovo) AMA with Solingen Germany stamped on it.

Im going to use my merkur and supplied Merkur blades for the first time on sunday when my wife and kids will be out of the house and i will have some peace and quiet.

I wasn't aware that i was in the shaving capital of the world (cool).

thanks again,
Dizz.

Ps. I am going to go to a car boot sale on sunday to see what i can find, so the 'RAD' has started to get a hold on me, what should i look for? and any tips to start a collection, price model etc?
Last edited by dizz on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
xChris

Post by xChris »

I'm another one of those "backwards" guys. I went from an electric back to a Mach 3, then to a straight; now, I also use DEs and GEMs.

You can learn the straight easier with some support (that'd be us), so please ask questions. We'll get you wielding that open blade for a superb shave!

Dr. Chris Moss (one of the esteemed forumites) authored this guide to straight razor shaving, and has it posted as a PDF file on SMF:
http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/Th ... -Shave.pdf
Chris
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Someone explain to me "WHAT A CAR BOOT SALE" is.

Is that what we in the States call a "Yard Sale".

And as always...

(Racso) Oscar...
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Racso_MS wrote:Someone explain to me "WHAT A CAR BOOT SALE" is.

Is that what we in the States call a "Yard Sale".

And as always...

Oscar, not quite the same. They are usually set in a field and consist of lots of people selling all their junk. Not necessarily out of the boot (trunk) of their cars but that was the original concept. They are very popular and you can pick up some bargains. More often than not it is all old tat (rubbish).
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
dizz

Post by dizz »

You do have to ferret through a lot of old junk but sometimes you get lucky.

StGeorge (Tony)
Have you tried the tesco brand of blades as they seem well liked?

thanks,
Dizz.
Last edited by dizz on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Thanks Tony,

We have a town close by that has what's called a "FLEA MARKET". Why it's called that I don't know, but it is a huge annual event. The town rents space in this huge field for anyone to sell anything from trash to treasure. Commercial vendors, artists, craftsmen, junk dealers, whatever, come and sell their wares. I've also seen smaller versions locally but not to the extent of this. It is a huge money maker for the town and you can literally find just about anything you want. Some Trash and Some Treasure.

And as always...

(Racso) Oscar...
dizz

Post by dizz »

Hi, had my first shave tonight with my Merkur 34 HD and it went quite well i think, not perfect but not far off my mach 3 and no nicks or cuts and only a little razor burn afterwards which i think is down to applying too much pressure, also i shaved off my goatee beard, i just got carried away!

I used
Merkur 34 HD (Merkur blade)
Proraso pre shave cream
Taylor's avocado shave cream
Nivea sensitive balm

thanks,
Dizz.

ps. I bought a 1930's razor at the car boot (flea market) on sunday, i did try not to but i was too weak and just had to have it. :D
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Dizz,

How did you know it was made in the 1930's? Is it open comb or closed? Is it TTO or two or three piece, gold or silver? Better yet any pictures?

Just curious.
(Racso) Oscar...
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Down Oscar, down!

Welcome aboard, Dizz! Ol' Oscar won't lead you astray...as long as you get him those pictures!

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Sorry Dizz,

Jack is correct...

Just don't want to see you taken advantage of...

If you can provide a picture of the razor we may can narrow it down for you...
(Racso) Oscar...
dizz

Post by dizz »

Ok guys here are some pics, should i try to give it a clean? or is it better to leave it as it is?