Questions about shaving sensitive, acne prone skin

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
indoobidubly

Questions about shaving sensitive, acne prone skin

Post by indoobidubly »

Hello, I'm going to re-do my whole shaving routine, I just have a few quick q's.

1. Should I use a pre-shave oil? My skin is oily and gets clogged pores. I'm thinking of the Art of Shaving unscented oil.

2. Should I use an aftershave?

3. I currently use a Bump Fighter razor. Should I move to a DE razor? Would this help decrease irritation or ingrown hairs?

Thanks.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Hmm...I'd try something other than the Bump fighter razor. I didn't like it. As for the oil I think I'd skip it for now. Or if you are inclined to use a pre-shave oil, check out (PSO) Pacific Shave oil which can be had for much less than the AOS. SO what do you currently do for your acne?
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If you are acne-prone, I would say not to use any kind of oil. The fewest and gentlest products is IMO what you should be looking for.

Aftershave for acne-prone skin is also very difficult to find. The alcohol-based ones (that is most normal aftershaves) will make your skin flare up. They are the worst. The moisturizer-type ones may also make your skin flare up, if they are greasy-feeling. Note that many of them advertise oil-free or non-greasy, but most of those still feel greasy, whatever is not in them, and they still cause problems.

My suggestion:

No strong wash products, just a tiny bit of plain soap
No oil
Proraso white aftershave in the tall bottle (NOT the clear aftershave that comes in the same kind of bottle)

And most important, find a soap or cream that agrees with you.
indoobidubly

Post by indoobidubly »

Thanks everyone. I won't use a pre-shave oil or aftershave for now.

I'm going to be using the Art of Shaving unscented cream.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

indoobidubly wrote:Thanks everyone. I won't use a pre-shave oil or aftershave for now.

I'm going to be using the Art of Shaving unscented cream.
If it works for you, good. Just because it's unscented, or any other reason for that matter, doesn't make it right for you; but it is definitely worth a try. If you use it for a week and it doesn't agree with your skin, then try something else. Shave products often mysteriously don't work for one guy - that's just the way it is, unfortunately.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Never ever wash your face with strong stuff, by the way. If you do, any shaving cream will irritate you, but not through its own fault.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Here's what I would do, and I have acne-prone skin too (thought I'd outgrow it by now, but no),

Use the DE. Bump Fighter isn't bad, but after a couple of shaves, its not-so-close shave actually gives me enough irritation to have zits. That's why, when I'm on the road, I take Trac II blades with me as well (they fit on the Bump Fighter) and switch back and forth.

Skip the shave oil. I have greasy skin, and the oil doesn't bother me, but let's narrow down the variables.

Wash your face with Cetaphil before and after you shave. For me, at least, it cleans the skin enough before and calms it down afterward.

Here is a secret for the acne -- povidone-iodine solution (10%) found in Wal-Mart. In the shower, put it on your face and let it sit for about a minute. Wash your hair, and rinse everything well. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist way back in the 1980s and it has done wonders. Now, my wife and daughter both use it, and their skin is perfect.

All the best
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Id say just keep a close eye on what happens with the products youve selected. When I started using C&E sandlewood I started to have a few zits pop up (no pun intended). Id imagine it would do a number on someone with acne prone skin. I still use it, but not regularly.

Unless Im mistaken, the pre shave oils are for tough beards. Unless youve got one of those wrought iron beards I wouldnt use it. Ive got a pretty tough beard and Ive never used an oil. Dont want to either, thats starting to get into the realm of too much work.

Something I did, and I have no idea if it really helps or not, is put some tea tree oil in with a glycerin based soap that I melted. I planned to use it if I ran into any skin problems, but I havent, so I cant say if it would a difference or not. I think the theory is sound though. Also, it did mess up the smell of the soap
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I have the same problem with my skin. Very prone to razor burn, ingrown hairs and acne. I found that DE razor shaves very well, IF I take my time and prepare everything right.

I use a very gentle cleanser from Nancy Boy just before ending my shower. I try to use creams and soaps that are made especially for sensitive skin. My current favorites are:

Nancy Boy shave cream
AOS Sandalwood - even though it's for dry to normal skin
St Charles soaps - any flavor that blows your hair back. They're all good for me.
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap - nice plain shave w/o all the perfume.

I've been using an Alum block with varying degrees of success. On the days that my shaves are good the block is a welcome astringent. On the bad days it's like wiping down my face with battery acid.

As a final touch you can use Witch Hazel, Thayer's has become very popular on these boards or you can try to find a natural aftershave.

Once again Nancy Boy is a good aloe based after shave, but Sharps Kid Glove aftershave is very nice too. AOS makes some great smelling after shave creams, but you must use them sparingly. I've found them to be nice and calming, but a little greasy.

Hope this helps.
Mottern Man

Post by Mottern Man »

1. No If you use preshave OIL on OILY skin it may make it worse.

2. Yes, use a cold water spash and an After shave splash it will help remove some of that extra oil on your face and close your pores, if it dries you out too much then use a very light after shave balm to add moisture.

3. Yes, Yes it will.
Will - "Doc"
Risky

Post by Risky »

IMO unless you have skin that is very sensitive there is no need for a pre-shave oil. A high-end soap or cream will make a lather that will render an oil useless.

Aftershave: Yes. Remember that oily skin can often be caused by you drying the skin out too much with washing and the pores then overcompensating to try to restore the balance. Make sure you use a decent aftershave.
James R
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

First off, Welcome to SMF.

Indoobidubly, I say skip the oil. If you do actually have oily skin, this won't help. I am only skeptical about your skin type because I thought I had sensitive skin. It turns out that I really only had an aversion to multi-blade razors. If you want to try Proraso LCASB, let me know. I have some for sale.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>