Kind of confused.

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Hmmm...it burns when you apply aftershave. My first thought would be to stop using aftershave...

That being said, I would begin by eliminating products. First, I'd stop with the toner. If it still burned, I'd lose the brush and apply the cream (gasp) with my hands...just rub it around. After that, if it still burned, well, it must be the cream! For me, Williams soap burns as soon as it touches my neck...other guys here stock up on it, they love it so much. To each his own.

And you might consider stepping down in razors...perhaps to a sensor. For me, the Mach 3 was my stepping off point...gave me ingrowns and razor bumps far worse than any cartridge razor before that. If you want to get as close to a DE shave as possible with something store bought, you might see if there are any BIC metals on the shelf of your local Walgreens.

Mind you, everyones skin is different. My dad gets a beautiful shave from a Norelco...go figure. If the brushless creams and a cartridge work for you, great. As long as you enjoy the shave you are getting, keep on keeping on!

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
GQGuy

Post by GQGuy »

Everything you guys are saying makes a ton of sense. I have to wonder if it could be the traditional creams themselves. I've tried eliminating products...same result. I've also used my brush to help apply products like Sharps, Billy Jealousy, Grooming Lounge, Jack Black Beard Lube, etc....and have used Sharps Toner afterwards prior to applying an aftershave. When I do this, my skin feels fine.

I guess I was wondering if quite a few people have reactions to creams...thus part of the reason they use more of a brushless product. Trust me, I understand that I should use what ever works...but was just curious...especially since I do enjoy using a brush, as well as some of the scents of the creams. That being said, maybe it's still just not the best for my skin. The other thing is that I do tend to get just a little closer shave with some of the traditional creams...so I hate to just give up on them.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

My posts lately seem to be vanishing.
Try again.
Some basic tests will give you a hint what to watch for.
After you complete a regular shave and have done the cold water rinse STOP!
Wait a few minute - is your face burning?
If not then its likely post shave stuff.
If it is burning then to test shave system a simple patch test.
In the evening wash a section of sensitive skin with just hot water then scratch that area with a fingernail to mimic some shaving action and to remove skin oils. Dab some lather to be tested on the area and then scratch it again a few times though the lather. Wash off and cold rinse as usual and wait. Any Burn? Any irritation after awhile? If not then the cream is likely ok.
Try the same scratch prep and then swish the brush around on that area. Burning yet?
I patch test a lot of new products this way and it has worked well to keep me irritation free but unuseable product rich but that is what our Selling and Trading Forum is for.
If all that stuff checks out then it could indeed be the razor or the blade or your technique.
If at all uncertain about the razor then use that as justification to buy another one and another one .....and..another...one.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

GollyMrScience, well, golly.

A solid scientific method, I must say. Being a word guy, my mind doesn't function like that. But looking at it afterward, it makes perfect, logical sense.

GQ, go with GMS, PDQ...

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

If you dont mind, could you briefly describe your shaving routine?
We might be able to help, if we know more ...

For example, here is my typical routine.
shower
Proraso Pre/post cream
Lather with Proraso in a bowl, using a brush
three passes with a Merkur Slant or 4 passes with a Merkur HD
cold water rinse
alum block
witch hazel, thayers
after shave, often Aqua Velva or Clubman
then lastly, an aftershave balm, like Nivea.

dwight
Starchief

Post by Starchief »

Lil' Shaver wrote:If you dont mind, could you briefly describe your shaving routine?
We might be able to help, if we know more ...

For example, here is my typical routine.
shower
Proraso Pre/post cream
Lather with Proraso in a bowl, using a brush
three passes with a Merkur Slant or 4 passes with a Merkur HD
cold water rinse
alum block
witch hazel, thayers
after shave, often Aqua Velva or Clubman
then lastly, an aftershave balm, like Nivea.

dwight
Dang, I thought my two passes with the Merkur, followed by Thayers Super medicated was pretty thorough, but you're way ahead of me! :P
Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is terminal.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

GQ, I don't know how many "schools ot thought" there really are out there. Once you eliminate all sources who have something financially to gain, as well as all the sources who lack experiance, and/or awareness of all that's really available, and how to use it....who/what's left? Not a whole lot. But, there is SMF, and a couple of other forums like SRP, and a few private blogs. I could pick myself and say nine other regulars off of this forum, and between us we'd have centuries of personal experiance, with much of that time actually considering our shaves ( not just mindlessly doing them ) and experimenting with different products, razors, and techniques; as well as talking with old school barbers, shopowners, and suppliers. The knowledge base on this forum is vast, and in depth, AND it is commercially disinterested. And the vast majority of the more experianced members use shave brushes and single bladed razors. Sure, some of us are into it as a hobby as well, or have a certain taste for the traditional; but you can bet your bibby that most of us would not being using what we use, if we hadn't also concluded that it works best.

I think that in his post on Wed. Michael and also Jack put their fingers on the main cause of the expansion of the non-aerosal, usually pricey, brushless cream/gel market, as well as heavy A/S balms. That, and simple status seeking, by those who don't usually know how to properly shave, and haven't a clue regarding the existance of genuinely high end products either.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Somebody should introduce Dwight to Ravi :lol: :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

GQGuy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, come often and stay long. I can't add anything to this conversation because you've received advice from some of the best on this forum. But, looking at your number of posts I'd like to introduce you to some threads and a video that may be of interest:

First go here: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15973

Then go here: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006/07 ... xperience/

Then go here: http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

After reviewing all of the above, if you have any questions feel free to ask. We will be more than happy to answer.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
GQGuy

Post by GQGuy »

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help. You guys are great...and I love the fact that you all try to think of solutions rather than just pick on the new guy.

OK, so I have finally discovered through much trial and error that I do tend to like a good shaving cream and brush. I've used a few creams now. Truefitt & Hill, Art of Shaving, Trumpers, e-shave, etc. Those all tend to work pretty good.

I am still working on my lathering...I think that may be why I was getting the discomfort. I found after a couple of days, that some of my lathers were really thin...especially on my second pass. For example, I might start shaving my cheeks and by the time I got to my chin, most of the cream had evaporated. I also noticed that I had this habit of shaving over the same area..i.e. I would do a pass, and then take a second pass at the exact same spot...hence doing it without cream.

I also discovered that I was using a toner right after shaving. For me personally this was causing some burn and discomfort. For now, I am just using toner at night.

Thanks again guys...really appreciate all of the assistance.