Newb Question

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Jonnio

Newb Question

Post by Jonnio »

Hi, name is here is Jon -

I have been reading the forums for the last few days after thinking about starting into wet shaving instead of the current can o gel, but I had a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to (maybe not reading enough)

My original plan was to just get a brush and soap and stick with my cartridge razor, but then I started reading about DE. Is making the transition in stages a good thing or is it best just to jump in? I know stages would help with the pocket book, but if the best way to get into this is to dive in I can work that out with the Mrs.

I have seen a lot of stuff on brushes, razors, etc... but it seems like there are two categories. One is a starter set that will give you give you the idea if you like DE shaving or not, but will fairly quickly be found wanting. The other seems like it will last a while, but will set you back $100 or so.

My last question in this novel is regarding soaps/creams. I like the idea of something nicely scented to wake me up in the am - do these scents stick around with you or do they wash off when you wash your face after shaving?

Thanks a ton for answering al these questions
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

There's nothing wrong with easing in. Get a good shaving cream and a good soap and a good brush (like the Edwin Jagger Best Badger) and start with that, sticking with the cartridge razor. You'll get good practice making lather, and then when your curiosity gets great enough, you can get the blade sampler pack and a safety razor (the Merkur Hefty Classic, aka "HD" is the usual start), and take the next step.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a good shave.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If you get a brush and some good soap and stick with your cartridge razor for now, you will get better more enjoyable shaves right away. If you're going to go halfway, that's exactly the right way to do it.

Someday, if you feel like it, you can get a good razor (a nice "keeper", not some kind of junk) for under $40 (even less if you get a used one).

The big expense comes from trying a hundred different kinds of stuff, especially brushes. If you do your best to learn what you want before you buy, you can avoid a lot of that. Fancy brushes are expensive, much more than razors. You can get a decent brush for a good price, but it's easy to get picky and spend a lot. :cry:

The majority of shaving cream scents fade fairly fast, and are mostly just for you in the morning. Some are strong and last longer. (Tabac soap comes to mind).
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Jon,

Welcome to SMF.

You have already gotten great responses from two of our respected members.

How much to spend on brushes, razors, etc. is up to you. If you let us know how much you are looking to spend on a given category, we can help stir you toward the better options at that level. Usually, the more you spend the better the quality up to a certain point, beyond that it is esteem or getting a collectible that ups the price. Personal preference is a major factor.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend getting a quality cream and/or soap and a decent badger brush at least. Maybe, if you are sure about giving it an honest try, get a Gillette Tech or Superspeed as a low price starter DE razor. These are all you will ever NEED, unless you WANT to try other razors. Just be careful of the frequent problems with acquisition disorders found here... :twisted:
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Jonnio

that was fast

Post by Jonnio »

Thanks for the great and fast responses -

As a follow up to nodaktim - I was originally planning on 25-30 for a brush and 10ish for a soap/cream without budgeting a cream bowl or a razor. That was part of my dilema - the brushes I was seeing recommended seem in the 35-40 ish range (which is doable) but I guess I need to look for a bowl at least too.

So if anyone has any recommendations for a soap/cream (honestly the idea of a soap appeals to me since, for some reason in my mind, it seems more old school) or a different brush recommendation I would welcome that.

As far as the soap I am looking for something with a little scent to it - part of the appeal to me is the whole idea of getting to something that is enjoyable in the morning vs. now, where I only shave when I absolutely have to. Really I am not sure what makes a soap/cream good vs bad, I just read all the recommendations on what brand works and what doesn't.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

OK. How about going less expensive.

1. Bowl or mug - find something around the house, at the dollar store, whatever. You want a wide low mug, or a small sturdy bowl. It doesn't have to be special.

2. Soap: I would say try Tabac if you want something with a real scent to it. Very "manly", sort of in the same league as Old Spice or English Leather but nicer.

3. Some guys will disagree with me here, but I think get a good but inexpensive brush now and save for a nicer one later if you want to upgrade. $30 - $40 is an unfortunate price point for badger brushes, because it's the least expensive end of what's any good at all, if you know what I mean. So I say ... how about $13 instead, and get an Omega boar brush. Not as nice as a fancy badger brush, but I would dare to say it's better than a $30 badger.

Bonus: Both those items are available from QED. His web site is disorganized, but if you email Charles (the man at QED) and say you want a bowl of Tabac soap (get the bowl, not the refill) and an Omega boar brush, he'll get them to you pretty quick.

Boar brushes stink like a boar when you get them. Just use it a lot and the stink goes away.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Soap: Try Honeybee Spa: $3.29 a puck --- and the shipping cost is the same for 1, 2, or 3 pucks. Great soap, very inexpensive. You can put it in a tupperware or rubbermaid one-cup container.

Brush: Look at the newbie list that Rob_TN put together. He has some inexpensive brushes. For example, this one.

Shaving cream: Proraso may still be available at your local Target.
ead

Post by ead »

I think you should get a DE, any want there are many soaps and creams to try, it all come to personal favorite
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

Jon,

As far as which DE to get you will see that everyone has ther own preferance. Some of the people here have many many (almost crazy amounbts) of DE razors. There is nothing wrong with buying a Merkur HD and sticking with it forever. Myself I went with the Merkur Progress and I am sticking with it so far.

The main upgrade area seems to be brushes.

Anyway I do not thik anyone answered your question about scents lingering. Thus far the strongest scent I have tried was Taylors Eton College and the scent faded after about an hour or so, most scents fade quicker than thant for me. None of the shaving cream scents should linger very long so they will not conflict with colognes etc.
Chris
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Re: that was fast

Post by StGeorge »

Jonnio wrote:Thanks for the great and fast responses -

As a follow up to nodaktim - I was originally planning on 25-30 for a brush and 10ish for a soap/cream without budgeting a cream bowl or a razor. That was part of my dilema - the brushes I was seeing recommended seem in the 35-40 ish range (which is doable) but I guess I need to look for a bowl at least too.

So if anyone has any recommendations for a soap/cream (honestly the idea of a soap appeals to me since, for some reason in my mind, it seems more old school) or a different brush recommendation I would welcome that.

As far as the soap I am looking for something with a little scent to it - part of the appeal to me is the whole idea of getting to something that is enjoyable in the morning vs. now, where I only shave when I absolutely have to. Really I am not sure what makes a soap/cream good vs bad, I just read all the recommendations on what brand works and what doesn't.
A bowl is not necessarily a pre-requisite. You may get better results lathering straight onto your face with cream and a lot of soaps come in their own bowls.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
jbc

Post by jbc »

Like what has been said already, I recommend easing into the wet shaving experience. The hardware can be expensive at times and easing your way in is probably the best thing to do. Would I be over steping my bounds if I made come recommendations here?

Razor - My recommendation is for a Gilette Super Speed (in a previous poll the Super Speed barely edged out the heavy duty, I tend to think that there is a reason for this).

Blades - Get the LetterK sampler pack then decide which brand of blade is best for you.

Brush - Any brand of Full Badger brushes

Soap - Crabtree and Evelyn, I personally love it.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Jonnio wrote:Thanks for the great and fast responses -

If you get the Crabtree & Evelyn Brush and aren't happy with it I will buy it from you for what you paid. You get to try a quality brush and if for whatever reason you don't want to keep it, just PM me and I will take it. I have made this offer close to a dozen times on this board and I still don't have one of those in my collection. Also free shipping on that brush if you order before May 10th. Or you could just pick one up locally.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
jbc

Post by jbc »

Let me take this oportunity to learn something: the crabtree and evelyn brush talked about here is a best badger brush. Previously I had no idea of the best badger brush, how do they rank in terms of quality in the following progression from the worst to the best, where do they fall in this lineup: Synthetic, Boar, Full Badger, Super Badger, Silvertip Badger.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Jonnio

Post by Jonnio »

Thanks for all the recommendations - here is what I currently am thinking

1 bar Tabac and some Honeybee Spa soap - I figure that will give me a little bit of an idea between different scents and hand made vs. commercial

Either Omega Boars Hair SB-4 or Savile Row SR-204 I am torn here, but strongly leading towards the Omega

Cheapo cup from Target

I am going to give that a shot for a couple weeks and hopefully in the meantime I can see about getting a group buy together on some Weishi razors (since its $6 ea for 10 vs $18 for one) and then a sampler pack of blades.

Thanks a ton for the help everyone, I am going to get the credit card going today :D
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

jbc wrote:Let me take this oportunity to learn something: the crabtree and evelyn brush talked about here is a best badger brush. Previously I had no idea of the best badger brush, how do they rank in terms of quality in the following progression from the worst to the best, where do they fall in this lineup: Synthetic, Boar, Full Badger, Super Badger, Silvertip Badger.
As far as I understand it best comes before Super and Silvertip in terms of quality and is generally slightly stiffer than the premium brushes. I stand to be corrected of course by one of the brush afficianodo's.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
jbc

Post by jbc »

One quick recommendation, don't settle on a soap just yet try the one you mentioned, but don't settle on a single item yet, rather experiment and see what works best for you. Everyone is different so there is no real formula for sucess.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
drumana

Post by drumana »

I started out with a Merkur Vision which set me back about 100, but I definately don't regret it.

I'm a newbie myself, but my advice would be to get a nice razor, a decent soap (Williams Mug = $1) or cream, and a cheap brush
-Andrew-
Jonnio

Post by Jonnio »

Gatorade wrote: If you get the Crabtree & Evelyn Brush and aren't happy with it I will buy it from you for what you paid. You get to try a quality brush and if for whatever reason you don't want to keep it, just PM me and I will take it. I have made this offer close to a dozen times on this board and I still don't have one of those in my collection. Also free shipping on that brush if you order before May 10th. Or you could just pick one up locally.
WoW, not sure how I read past this post earlier...that is definitely a strong endorsement and very generous. I am going to call C&E today and see if they know when some more will be back in stock.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

jbc wrote:Let me take this oportunity to learn something: the crabtree and evelyn brush talked about here is a best badger brush. Previously I had no idea of the best badger brush, how do they rank in terms of quality in the following progression from the worst to the best, where do they fall in this lineup: Synthetic, Boar, Full Badger, Super Badger, Silvertip Badger.
No. There is no list, unfortunately.

1. All the terms about badger hair are made up by individual manufacturers. They are all different, there are no standards or rules, and different makers might use the exact same terms in a different order - what one manufacturer calls best or finest is another's third grade cheaper hair. It makes no sense. Don't try to make the words make sense - just find a good brush that you like. You'll do better by first finding a good manufacturer whose brushes have a good reputation, and then finding out which of their brushes suits you (for example if you like a big brush, a super-soft brush, whatever).

2. Sometimes a good boar brush is better than a lower-quality badger brush.

3. Some synthetics are terrible and useless; some are apparently quite good.

So... saying synthetic -> boar -> badger, in that order, is sort of right sometimes; but there's overlap between categories. The list of different badgers is totally wrong, just because there are no standards in the badger hair business. Good effort - not your fault.