Moss Scuttle Question

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jojo

Moss Scuttle Question

Post by jojo »

Just purchased -- really enjoyed working with Sara.

I'm wondering whether the following experience suggests my lathering technique needs work: after lathering up in a separate bowl (careful to go slowly, with the arms (not wrist) and pumping occasionally), and applying lather for a first pass, I rested my brush, still covered with plenty lather, in the scuttle. On taking it out for the second pass, much of the lather seemed to disappear from the top of the brush -- and while I could still get a second and third pass from what remained within the brush (nice and warm, I might add), it certainly seemed like a thinner lather. Does that suggest I'm doing something wrong (I understand the heat of the scuttle has some effect on lather) or should I expect that a fair amount of the visible lather on the exterior of the brush will vanish?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

My experience is that if you make the water in the scuttle too hot it will encourage the lather to break down. The other thing is whether you are getting the proportions right. You might try using the scuttle the way I do (see sticky in this forum).

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brderj

Post by brderj »

Hey Chris just got my scuttle yesterday, though I wont be able to use it for a while longer, I do have it at "home". I have read lots of people saying to lather in a separate bowl, but the images I have seen, like the one you have posted, shows the lather being done in the bowl itself. That's the way I had always intended using it. This is correct?
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I wish I had some boilerplate for this! What I do is this:

1. Fill scuttle with hot water in both compartments.
2. Soak brush in the hot water in the inner bowl.
3. Do other stuff - for me this means wash face and strop razor, but for you might include reading New York Post, write angry letter to editor, kick cat and so on.
4. Empty scuttle.
5. Refill outer part only with hot water.
6. Shake out brush.
7. Place exactly one British Standard Fingertipfull of cream on brush.
8. Work brush into into inner bowl of scuttle, adding a few drips of hot water as necessary.
9. Make lather on face, dipping brush tip in hot sink water judiciously if necessary (it usually is).
10. Place brush back in scuttle and push down to maximise brush to scuttle contact area.
11. Shave, or something like it.
12. Relather with hot lather. Place brush back in scuttle q.v. step#10
13. Shave again in some other direction.
14. Relather for the bits that need it. Place brush you know where.
15. Shave in another direction, removing tiniest traces of beard.
16. Rinse face, brush, and scuttle in desired order.
17. Kick cat.
18. Go to work, pretend to enjoy it.

Or something like that.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brderj

Post by brderj »

Well, thats exactly how the pictures show it. :D Thanks Chris.

But if you could, please go into detail on step 18?

:lol:
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

18? I'm still working on that part.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rikrdo

Post by rikrdo »

........um.

I need to get a cat.
rick
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

What is the US equivalent to one British Standard Fingertipfull of cream? I couldn't find any conversion charts for it, even searching on the internet.
drmoss_ca wrote:snip...

7. Place exactly one British Standard Fingertipfull of cream on brush.

snip....
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

drmoss_ca wrote: 3. Do other stuff - for me this means wash face and strop razor, but for you might include reading New York Post, write angry letter to editor, kick cat and so on.

17. Kick cat.

Chris
"Dear RSPCA: It has come to my attention..."

David
6cats

Re: Moss Scuttle Question

Post by 6cats »

I have 6 cats. Will I therefore get a better shave? Better lather. These seems important, because, in my experience, the cat kicked in the early step is unlikely to be available for kicking later on in the process. I don't see how one can get 2 or 3 passes with only one cat in the house?
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Moss Scuttle Question

Post by jww »

I definitely don't need nor want a cat.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?