Let the water run or keep it in the sink???

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ticman

Let the water run or keep it in the sink???

Post by ticman »

I used to let the water run while shaving. I could rinse the razor and splash my face with hot water in between lathering and additional passes.

Now I leave the water in the sink--still rinsing the razor and still splashing my face. I guess I have gone "green" instead of "clean".

But what I did find is that I can "hear" the blade cutting and believe it or not I think I am getting a better shave.

So guys, are you "green" or "clean"??

Mike
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

Green. I fill the sink and work from that. Even though I don't pay the water bill (it's built into the rent) I hate waste. That;s one of the reasons I switched to DE shaving and using a Fountain Pen.
"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older."
brderj

Post by brderj »

Um, well, I would like to think I am "green" and "clean". I let the water run most of the time. When I am home I usually have sink full and do it that way, but still turning the water on to re wet my face.

The sink is usually porcelain, which is cold from sitting there all night. It will take on the hot water but will transfer the cold porcelain to cool the water off. This making your water not as hot as when you started if its just sitting the sink. I prefer hot water with my shave, which is why I use to shave in the shower. Hot water, hot lather, little bit-o-heaven. :D
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I let the water run real slow. I let my shaving mug with brush in it rest in the bottom of the sink and the hot water swirls around it and keeps the shaving mug and brush real hot/warm for the next pass.

Since, as we say in the South, I live in the country I have a septic tank and field line. So I'm clean and green. The water is filtered and soaks back into the ground and enables things to grow green (Trees, bushes etc.).
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
kalle

Post by kalle »

I rinse my razor in the sink, but I splash my face with water from the tap. The water in the sink is full of stubble and lather after all!
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I turn on the water to rinse the razor, then turn it off. So it's on quite briefly. Same with rinsing my face: on briefly, then off.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

CLEAN!
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

"green"

I too like the sound of the DE whilst shaving.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I run the water; always have. I've tried the full sink approach, but it doesn't work as well for me. I have the feeling that this is one of those things that depends mainly on what one is used to.
Regards,
Gordon
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I've done both, but I prefer the full sink so I too, can hear the beard being shaved off. I like that sound

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
addicted

Post by addicted »

I usually fill the sink because I keep a mug with the brush in the warm water. I don't really feel the stubble and the soap doesn't bother me - I mean I'm going to put more soap on my face anyways.

Of course, once done, I use fresh water. :)

BTW, there are quite a few places in europe where you have to keep the sink full because they have separate faucets for hot and cold water so you can't have warm water run.
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

Leisureguy wrote:I turn on the water to rinse the razor, then turn it off. So it's on quite briefly. Same with rinsing my face: on briefly, then off.
I do this as well. I feel like leaving the water on long enough to fill the sink is more wasteful than just turning it on when you need it. This seems like the least wasteful method to me.
-Billy
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Full sink. I ran the water when I was using a cartrige cause I needed the pressure to wash the gunk out, but standing water works fine with a DE. I dont see it as being any less clean than using running water, I dont use the water for anything other than the razor, and I use running tap water to wash my face off. I dont wash my face off between passes, though. Seems excessive to me.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Leisureguy wrote:I turn on the water to rinse the razor, then turn it off. So it's on quite briefly. Same with rinsing my face: on briefly, then off.
Same here.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

jamacdon

Post by jamacdon »

Same here.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Another for a quick on-and-off for each task.

Bonus: method works over a less-than-clean sink.
timc

Post by timc »

I fill the sink. I also keep the sink clean. I am green and clean.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
drumana

Post by drumana »

green, baby.

fill the sink; rinse my face from the water in the sink; rinse the razor in the sink. Some guys think its gross with the beard hairs and soap and whatever in the sink water, but it doesn't bother me.
-Andrew-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

timc wrote:I fill the sink. I also keep the sink clean. I am green and clean.
I clean my sink too! I just meant when you're not at home... :shock: :lol:
prism

Post by prism »

Fill the sink. Water is still nice n' hot when I rinse off between passes. Feels good. Yeah, there's soap and stubble and the occasional Campbell's soup can floating around in there, but it does'nt borher me. My face still has a soapy film on it and this sort of helps along the re-lather. Vic