First shot with Proraso

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jpolaski

First shot with Proraso

Post by jpolaski »

It's no secret that I've been a Williams user for years. Well, a parallel topic on the Fountain Pen Network for shaving (that very same post that led me here) led me into a deal with a member there for a pen I didn't want for a selection of Proraso product. Namely, two tubes of shave cream, a tub of pre-shave, and a bottle of aftershave. They showed this afternoon along with my Crystal blades (thanks again). Being the impatient type, and bored, I set to work to attempt my first bowl of lather from a cream. I figured it would be a pitiful affair, and wanted to get in the practice now, rather than when getting ready for the day.

All I can say is WOW. This stuff is amazing! The bowl quickly filled with a rich creamy lather that easily allowed me to stand my brush in it bristles first (a test I like to use). It happened much quicker than my Williams, though admittedly, didn't smell as nice. I was ready to wash the lather down the drain, as I figured I didn't need any more practice for regular shaving (and I had already shaved that morning) when I decided I just couldn't waste it. I loaded a fresh Crystal in the superspeed, and went to town with the host of products. What was originally a one pass test turned into a 4 pass shave, ending with an ATG pass, and it was my SECOND SHAVE OF THE DAY. Wonderfully close, no burn and I can easily see myself getting spoiled with the wonderful feeling of menthol on my face after shave. What a wonderful wakeup.

Anywho, diatribe over, I figured I'd post a shot of the lather. This was done with my ol' boar brush. Didn't know if you could see that under the lather ;)

FWIW, the lathering bowl is a Corelle cereal bowl I found at Wal-Mart (that stuff is wonderfully durable)
"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older."
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Cool---literally. Proraso is a great summertime shaving cream.
brderj

Post by brderj »

My one and only run in with Proraso was pretty good. I loved the cooling effect and I see me using it more when the nights get hotter (I work mids here) I like Proraso but from what Mike (DEsquire) says its even better with the pre post shave.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

That's what I used it with, the Proraso Pre-post cream. Wonderful stuff. Oddly enough, it looks, smells and feels just like Noxzema Deep cleansing cream. It even has the same texture and odd pearlescent color. I wonder if it's the same stuff??
brderj

Post by brderj »

To me it smells just like Proraso feels. :oops: Does that make and sence at all? :D It smells a lot like Vicks vapor rub, :lol:
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
brderj

Post by brderj »

This post had me wishing and wanting that Proraso shave!! So thats what I did when I woke up, even used DEsquires pre post shave. Great feeling, even better then last time. Same bad shave. :roll:

Is it possible to like Proraso just for that feeling? :D

Gen. Patton
sysiphus

Post by sysiphus »

Must. Get. Proraso.
Best online source?
David

Post by brderj »

:lol:

www.leesrazors.com has wicked fast shipping and really good prices. Plus Lee is a great guy!!

Gen. Patton
armeck

Post by armeck »

That is a really nice foam you got going on there (my urge is to call it a "head" a la a beer, would that be correct?). I never can quite whip up a foam like that, but I have been using only hard soaps. Is that possible with a soap and I am just not quite up to speed on technique?
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

It's quite possible with Soaps. I've been doing it for years with Williams Mug soap. Have you watched the videos recommended in the University? They're a great help, and let me tell you, a good lather makes all the difference...
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

All hail to Proraso!!!

The Red is my go-go cream!
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
brderj

Post by brderj »

armeck wrote:That is a really nice foam you got going on there (my urge is to call it a "head" a la a beer, would that be correct?). I never can quite whip up a foam like that, but I have been using only hard soaps. Is that possible with a soap and I am just not quite up to speed on technique?
Also check out www.bear-haven.com they have a how to make lather, which is made with a soap (she sells soaps mostly) Now I can make as good a lather as anyone, but I have NEVER made lather like that. :D I have found that lather from soap is easier to make then lather with cream. Its either easier or funner, I don't know which. :D

Gen. Patton
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

Try mixing your Williams and your Proraso cream. Great lather that way!

Even better, use a common glycerin shaving soap ($1.50) , such as Van Der Hagen and add Proraso cream. You will get wonderful results.

Keep posting and tell us how your shaves are doing.
dwight