How to tell it's time to change blade vs. other tech issues

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
BarryR

How to tell it's time to change blade vs. other tech issues

Post by BarryR »

I'll spare the details (as I'm not sure I can sort them out) but I've been DE Shaving for two weeks with mostly very positive results and loving it. No disasters, some great shaves about 2-3 mildly irritating shaves and the rest quite decent.

As I'm trying to figure out what's working and what's not, I'm not always sure when to change the blade. Is there a way to tell a dulling blade from other technical issues that cause tugging and irritation (other than putting in a new blade)? On Sunday, I used a new Derby in a 38C with great results (BBS), yesterday's shave was OK. Today I tried to get a very close shave and felt some tugging (particularly ATG) and though I succeeded in getting the close shave (but not BBS), a got some minor nicks, a few bumps and some mild razor burn. I think my technique was pretty similar on both, so I'm wondering if the blade is just duller today, but it's only day three for the blade. I'm guessing I do not have particularly sensitive skin and that my beard is average toughness.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

It does sound as if the blade's not up to snuff anymore. Switch to a new blade and see how it goes. With experience, you'll learn when you want a new blade. But tugging and bad cutting are a good sign that it's time to replace. Some brands last longer than others.
brderj

Post by brderj »

I have also heard from other people that the first day of certain blades is a tought one. Still, not as bad as a full on dead blade, but in need of a "break in period." I have not had this problem yet, but give me time, I am sure I will. :D
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

I'm only on blade 3 (Derby) of my first run through the sampler pack. But I have had good results with Days 1 & 2 on all 3 blades. That said, as I went to sleep last night, I started to think about technique and it occurred to me that I might no be paying enough attention to the angle.

This morning, since my face was mildly irritated from yesterday, I figured I'd use my Progress dialed down to 2-2.5. It has an Israeli that was used twice before. I paid more attention to angle (especially if I felt any tugging) and only did ATG on my cheeks (where I find it quite easy).

The result is a tiny bit of irrititation around my neck and otherwise a good shave (far from BBS, but that was not what I was going for).

So this brings me full circle to a more specific version of my original question. Will a dull blade feel similar to a razor used at too steep an angle? Or is it a different feeling.

Once again, thank you to all the shavemeisters who've made this transition so easy!
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I believe that a dull blade might feel a bit like a blade at too steep an angle: reluctant cutting, lots of scraping. But a blade at a bad angle is likely also to administer cuts and nicks. The thing is this: as you get more experience and practice, you just don't hold the blade at a bad angle anymore. You learn to keep the blade at the correct angle without even thinking about it. So at that point, blade difficulties indicate (probably) that something's wrong with the blade.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

brderj wrote:I have also heard from other people that the first day of certain blades is a tought one. Still, not as bad as a full on dead blade, but in need of a "break in period." I have not had this problem yet, but give me time, I am sure I will. :D
This probably happens because the blade is sharper than average (being new) and handles differently. Take care to be gentle and do everything "by the book" when you are using a brand new blade, and you'll be fine.
Albino Rhino

Post by Albino Rhino »

BarryR wrote:This morning, since my face was mildly irritated from yesterday, I figured I'd use my Progress dialed down to 2-2.5.
When I first started DE shaving, 2.5 on my Progress w/Feather blades resulted in irritation and razor burn. I quickly saw the light and went to a setting of 1 and slowly worked my way up to 1-3/4 over 8 weeks. I now get a mostly BBS shave with two passes using feather blades--WTG & XTG.
Mike