New guy in need of some advice

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

My assumption: boar hair is less durable and quickly gets dull and rounded at the tip. This is a good thing, because the rounded-off bristles feel good.
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Dave it is my understanding that Target carries a full line of Proraso products in their Spa/Bath section. I would try looking there for a brush and maybe their shaving cream as well. Just be aware that it does contain eucalyptus oil and menthol which provide a great post shave cooling effect, but it may irritate your face as well. It is all around very well regarded shaving cram and it costs $10 a tube! What a deal! I haven't tried Proraso yet but hope to do so tomorrow! I can't wait to feel the cool! Good luck in your quest for a great, irritation free shave!

Warmest regards, Niksa
innotivity

Post by innotivity »

Target stocks their own store brand now. Proraso is no more there. (I tried to find it there to no avail).
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

DoughDave wrote:Interesting info here. Never thought of a cheaper brush possibly making my acne worse. I was thinking about brushes and prices earlier today and was remembering people mentioning Proraso boar brushes were ok. Never heard of Omega till now.

Does anyone know if I can get them in a store or do I have to order off the net? I know people in different areas have different stores. The main stores around me are Meijer, Target, Kroger, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart. Any of those store have them? If not name a store anyway I may have it here and not know.
Hi Dave -

Omega makes the boar brushes that are sold under both the Omega and the Proraso brands.

As Niksa said, Proraso products were being sold in the Spa section of Target stores, but it appears no longer to be the case.

- Murray
mac_fodder

Post by mac_fodder »

I can also vouch for Target no longer carrying Proraso products and I know for a fact that the ones near me have already been cleared out. I may be partially responsible for that as well, but I'm not admitting to anything. :) Hopefully someone else will start carrying their stuff, but online seems to be the best bet.
--jeff
"So it goes"
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Got everything but a brush, which I just bid on ebay (didn't see one anywhere else I looked, so I had to get one off the net). So, if I win that I will have my first new shave. I'm excited.

My only question is, how will I know when I find the perfect combination of razor, blades, creams etc.? I mean, I know it will probably feel better first time I use good stuff, but how will I know when I got the perfect combo?

If I had a perfect shave before I would have something to compare it to, but I havent, so I'm not sure when I will find the right combo. I may think I have it the first time, but I won't know. Its like having a good steak at Outback and thinking its the best steak ever, but then you have a good steak at a good steakhouse that makes the Outback steak taste tough. I think need something great to compare it to.

Are there any signs to look out for when I find the perfect combo or is it all about the feel and I have to figure it out on my own?
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

I haven't really gotten there yet Dave but I am working towards it. I would say that when you have an irritation free, close shave that' a good benchmark. Getting as smooth as possible with no irritation would be considered the much coveted BBS shave! Have fun trying to get there, I know that I certainly have!

Warmest regards, Niksa
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree with Niksa, Dave.

Go for a comfortable shave, first. A close shave, without irritation, will come gradually.

- Murray
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Lost the bid on ebay so it will be longer before I get a brush. Im kinda sick of waiting, I got the creams and shaving soap, razor, blades the works. Is there a way I can get a good lather so I can shave instead of waiting on the brush?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

1. Order a good boar hair brush from qedusa.com for under $15
(go to the main page, scroll down, click on the green Proraso logo, then when you get to the Proraso list it's the last item.) This is a good brush and you won't be disappointed. Good enough that you can save up some money and get a fancy brush next year.

2. Get whatever brush they have at walmart or the drug store. Might be even cheaper, but might also be poor quality. I suggest option 1, but any brush will at least do the job for a while.
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Just bid on a Surrey Boar brush and if I win which I think I will I will be paying under 10 bucks.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

DoughDave wrote:Just bid on a Surrey Boar brush and if I win which I think I will I will be paying under 10 bucks.
$10.00 in addition to shipping? The Burma Shave Brush from Wal-Mart is around $4.00 - $6.00 and is comparable to the Surrey or Van Der Something brush sold at Walgreens or CVS Pharmicies. They are pretty decent and not (for lack of a better word) scruffy. I use one as a travel brush and doesn't do a bad job at all.

Try it. It's readily available at your local Wally World and if you don't like it you're only out a few bucks.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

notthesharpest wrote:1. Order a good boar hair brush from qedusa.com for under $15
(go to the main page, scroll down, click on the green Proraso logo, then when you get to the Proraso list it's the last item.) This is a good brush and you won't be disappointed. Good enough that you can save up some money and get a fancy brush next year.

2. Get whatever brush they have at walmart or the drug store. Might be even cheaper, but might also be poor quality. I suggest option 1, but any brush will at least do the job for a while.
Hi Dave -

The Wal-Mart brush will meet immediate needs, as notthesharpest and Oscar advised.

The brush notthesharpest refers to above in Item 1, is a Proraso/Omega boar brush (made by Omega; sold under the Omega and Proraso brands). It is an excellent brush - possibly the best boar brush available for any price, and it will outperform by far the Wal-Mart brush.

The Omega brush will produce lather as good as any other brush (though it may take a tiny bit longer than a badger brush), and it may be all you ever need. I still keep one in my rotation with the badger brushes, and I am amazed each time how well it works.

- Murray
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Don't have a Wally World here, never even heard of it.
Yes, less than 10 dollars including shipping. He had a buy it now or best offer so if he accepts my offer I could get it for $7 including shipping.

BTW I'm going to shave tonight for the first time with the DE razor that Murray sent me after I watch some of mantics vids again. I'm gonna use this king of shaves shaving gel since I dont need a brush for that and can practice the technique.

*edit* He accepted the offer! Got it for $6.95 including shipping. Great now I got a brush that'll last me till I get a job and have cash to buy something better.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good news!

Sounds like you're in business, Dave!

- Murray
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

DoughDave wrote:Don't have a Wally World here, never even heard of it.
Local slang for Wal-Mart...

Murray gave you some good advice. An Omega Proraso Brush will give you years of service. (I own one as well) Target sold them at one time, but dropped the Proraso product line earlier this year. You can buy one here in the tab "Other Products" and then "Omega Italy"

http://qedusa.com/

Or you might like the brushes from here:

http://www.odsoap.com/id19.html

I'll provide more sites if you want a better quality more expensive brush. Just ask, but you really can't beat an Omega Proraso brush for a good all around brush. Many of us have one in our rotation.

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Ok I tried using the DE razor with the king of shaves shaving gel I got to practice before my brush came. I used a dorco blade. Didnt like it at all, not sure if it was the blade, the fact I used a gel or what, but I didnt like it. Most of the time it either felt like it was pulling or not doing anything like it was just gliding over the gel. Got my brush yesterday and Im going to try again in a day or 2. Im also going to try a better cream, maybe the casswell massey sandalwood sample I got. If I dont like it again I'll switch blades to something sharper, maybe the sputnik or platinum blade.

Say I use a quarter size amount of cream whats a good estimate on the amount of water I should use? Also is a quarter amount too much?