New guy in need of some advice

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DoughDave

New guy in need of some advice

Post by DoughDave »

Just joined today, found the site by searching for shaving tips and it looks like the type of site I'm looking for.

Just a little background...
I'm Dave, 20 years old, from MI, I also have curly hair (important thing to know about me when giving advice) and sensitive skin. I've been shaving for a few years now, have not used any special shaving gear, like great creams, nice brushes or razor, no special moisturizer. I have basically been using Gillette razors (2,3,4 blade) and Gillette shaving cream. Guess it helps that they send me new razors on my birthday and coupons for cream. I'd like to get a nice razor and other gear but I can't afford it now.

Ok, I have curly hair, which means the hair on my face is kind of crazy too. It grows in all kinds of different directions. (Will post a couple pics in a moment) It seems no matter what direction I shave in I get razor bumps that itch and basically hurt like crazy. Also, I have acne which makes shaving even more of a chore and also makes irritation worse.

Is there any advice for me on how to shave correctly ? I've heard so many people say shave with the grain and many say against. It seems neither works for me. Is it really about the direction? Would it be easier and better for me to have better shaving gear? Any good products to protect against razor bumps? It sucks cause my beard grows in so many directions it looks uneven when grown which I dont like, and its bumpy and irritated when shaved even though I like the look. Seems like Im screwed either way.

Thanks in advance for any replies and Im going to post a picture in a few.
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Pictures are kinda big so I'm posting links instead.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4448/img2058na3.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7318/img2059cg9.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7305/img2062xa2.jpg
Look closely at the different directions to see what I mean.
Kramer

Post by Kramer »

Dave,

I'd first recommend that you watch Mantic's videos: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 2F52BA7608 - You'll find that they are very informative. You may also find that you can incorporate many of his shaving techniques and improve the quality of your shave using the gear that you have on hand.

Will better shaving gear improve your shave? Absolutly! Do you need to make a lump sum investment of a months wages to start? No!

Your budget will determine what products you'll be using, but you can ease into the transition by obtaining your gear one step at a time.

Start with a proper pre-shave routine (Mantic will show you how)

Replace the canned goo with a good shave soap or cream (I'm currently using Proraso in the green tube - great shaves low cost) $10 or less

You can get a good lather even using a cheap boars hair brush (found in nearly every pharmacy or Wal-Mart, ) $5 or less

Just improving your technique along with a good lather will yeild you good results. When your ready to try a DE razor, you should get lthe blade sampler - http://www.westcoastshaving.com/, because not all blades are created equal - and you can get a good razor for less than $30, depending upon your choice. The Merker HD is often recommended as a good razor for noobs, and is in fact the very razor that I used for my first wet shave (and still use today).

A good shave is not neccesarily an expensive shave - a single high quality shave soap or cream will last a very long time, and blades can be purchaced for as little as $0.12 each (in bulk).

I endured nearly 30 years of uncomfortable shaves, until I discovered wet shaving. There is a better way, and you are on the path to discovery!

Welcome, enjoy, and good luck!
John - On a quest for the perfect shave...
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. It's funny because I ran across a post here not long after I finished mine talking about those videos. I've been watching them for maybe an hour and a half now, and now I'm really looking forward to getting some new products and trying them out.
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Welcome Dave and enjoy the ride. There's lots going on daily and a lot behind the scenes. Be sure to check back often and let us know how it works out for you.

Best,
Steve/Bronco

Post by BarryR »

Two inexpensive and high quality shaving creams are: Tom's of Maine (mint) and Kiss My Face (available in sev'l scents). I've tried the former (it's quite good) and the latter has gotten good reviews on this forum.

A good vintage razor for a newbie can cost as little as $3 and a nice new Merker HD is $30. The only other item you'd need would be a brush (you may want to spring for the C&E $35 (not travel) model. Or get a cheap Boar's hair and save up for something better. Then, as mentioned before, get the blade sampler pack and you're set. If you go the real cheapy route, your savings in cartridges will make up the cost in well under a year.

Disclaimer: Savings will be very difficult to realize if you develop any of the Aquisition Disorders (RAD, SCAD, SBAD, etc) that are so common to members of the forum.
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Thanks alot Barry and Steve, yeah I have been reading good things here about the Merkur HD and I was gonna start with a boars brush first. Sent out a few emails about samples for different creams so I will see about those. Gonna be a big change for me.

I got so excited I shaved my beard today for the first time in months. Usually I trim it down like it is in the pics, but never shave it because of the bumps. I also shaved my stashe for the first time ever. I think I look kinda funny cause Im not used to the look but I had to do it. Sucks since I had the 4 blade razor and crappy shaving cream, you guys got me in the mood for shaving, can't wait till I finally get that good feeling instead of it feeling like a chore.

I'll post a couple pics in a moment. (Now if I could get rid of this damn acne :evil: )
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Heh check out these before and after today.

Before:
After:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5735/img2093mt4.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9009/img2096lr2.jpg

Still hate the way shaving feels but I know that will change soon enough, once I get the right gear. :)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Dave - Welcome to SMF!

At the top of the ShaveMyFace University forum, under Announcements and Sticky Topics, there is a thread called "Cheap shaving tools guide for a newbie." It tells where you can get a lot of good tools and products for low cost.

You may have observed here, already, that every guy has his own experience and his own opinion regarding razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes, and so on. This is especially so with blades.

When it comes to double-edge (DE) razors, there are those who prefer Merkurs and those who prefer old Gillettes. (Some even use both!) You can count me among the Gillette users. I, too, have sensitive skin, and the Merkur Classic Long Handle razor (essentially the same head as the HD) was too aggressive (close-shaving) for me. I always grazed my throat, especially around the Adam's apple with the razor, and I always had irritation. When I changed to a gentler razor (first a Weishi, then a Gillette Tech), my shaves improved dramatically. (Did I tell you I'm not a Merkur fan? :D )

I would be happy to send you a Gillette Tech and a few blades not included in the blade sampler pack recommended before. (Send me a PM, if interested.) I would recommend that you also order the blade sampler pack. (If I send you the Tech, it doesn't mean that you can't order the Merkur HD. You could try them both, if you have the desire and you have the cash.)

I wish you a lifetime of terrific shaves! :D

- Murray
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

As you can also see, these forums are filled with really nice helpful people who will actually send razors to newbies to get them started! \:D/'
drumana

Post by drumana »

Looks like you got a nice shave...

Also looks like you got bit by the wetshaving bug, so welcome - it's a good time and worth the time, effort, and resources!!

Keep us posted
-Andrew-
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Welcome Dave! I have had to struggle with some uncomplicated acne since I can remember. I mostly break out above my beard growth but it has been getting better lately. Do you know what causes your break outs? I have noticed that excessive sun, sweating and actually washing my face everyday will make me break out. I have found that if I leave my face alone it tends to break out less. The one product that I have found which helps to get rid of the pain and inflammation form a breakout is the Proactive solution Refining Mask. I don't cover my entire face with it just the pimples that are bothering me. I put it on before going to bed, giving it some time to dry and leave it on overnight. My fiancee found the Proactive products to be too strong for her face but I haven't had any trouble with the mask. It is pricey (I paid $35 Canadian), but you might be able to find it for less. Anyway I hope that you find a way to deal with your acne and to enjoy your shaves.

Warmest regards, Niksa
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Thanks for all the welcome messages Murry, Andrew and Niksa. Yes Andrew it was a bit better after following some tips from here. Niksa tried proactive before didnt seem to do much, but thanks for the advice. Thanks alot for the offer Murry, I am interested especially since I have sensitive skin. Nice little community around here. 8)
mac_fodder

Post by mac_fodder »

Welcome Dave,

Don't think you need to spend the dough that some of these crazies spend. Granted once you get hooked you'll be just like them. I suppose myself included, but I have a friend who also was interested in wet shaving due to ingrowns driving him batty.

Got himself a Weshi razor, (which I love mine) williams mug soap and a boar brush.
$18 + $1 + $12 = $31

I gave him the blades from my sampler pack that didn't sit well with me and they seem to be just right for him.

He's spent less on his rig so far, that I'm guessing he'll use forever, than most spend on an inexpensive razor. Much less everything they need.
--jeff
"So it goes"
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

mac_fodder wrote:Welcome Dave,

Don't think you need to spend the dough that some of these crazies spend. Granted once you get hooked you'll be just like them. I suppose myself included, but I have a friend who also was interested in wet shaving due to ingrowns driving him batty.

Got himself a Weshi razor, (which I love mine) williams mug soap and a boar brush.
$18 + $1 + $12 = $31

I gave him the blades from my sampler pack that didn't sit well with me and they seem to be just right for him.

He's spent less on his rig so far, that I'm guessing he'll use forever, than most spend on an inexpensive razor. Much less everything they need.
Very true. Wetshaving doesn't have to be expensive to get a good shave.

I, too, will attest to the solid performance of the Weishi razor. It has been favorably compared with the Gillette Super Speed in its shaving characteristics. I shaved with one for 2 months and was very impressed with it. If that were the only razor I ever bought, I would have been well served.

I do strongly recommend the Proraso/Omega boar brush over the brushes you get in the drug store. It can be purchased for $12.50 at QED or Tryphon's Barbieria Italiana, and it exceeds by FAR the performance of the drug store brushes.

Williams Mug Soap and Van der Hagen soaps are very decent, very serviceable soaps, for very little money.

- Murray
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Oh sorry Dave! I forgot to mention this in my last post but you may want to go with a badger brush instead of the boar. The cheapest badger you can find will still be softer on the face than a boar and, with me anyway, a softer brush will have less tendency to irritate my face and cause an outbreak. I have had this happen with facial scrubs and that's why I don't use them anymore. Your face might be different, but I'm just putting it out there in case. Good luck!

Warmest regards, Niksa
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

NiksaNovovic wrote:Oh sorry Dave! I forgot to mention this in my last post but you may want to go with a badger brush instead of the boar. The cheapest badger you can find will still be softer on the face than a boar and, with me anyway, a softer brush will have less tendency to irritate my face and cause an outbreak. I have had this happen with facial scrubs and that's why I don't use them anymore. Your face might be different, but I'm just putting it out there in case. Good luck!

Warmest regards, Niksa
Hi Dave -

I'm going to have to disagree here. (Sorry Niksa :( )

The cheapest badger brush (pure badger) can be pretty prickly, regardless of how long you soak it. I have a Rooney pure badger brush, but it isn't a cheap brush and I have been told that it isn't as prickly as some of its competitors.

I find that a decent boar brush, especially something of the quality of the Proraso/Omega brush, is not prickly if properly soaked before use - which I was surprised to learn. I don't have the problem of breaking out easily as a result of skin irritation, but I do have sensitive skin, and I have to lather in a bowl and paint the lather onto my beard. My skin simply won't tolerate building lather on-site.

You would get the least irritation from a silvertip badger brush (which costs a fair amount). If you build the lather in a bowl and paint it onto your beard, I think you could do so, with little or no irritation, using a boar brush such as the Proraso/Omega.

My best to you both, Dave and Niksa -

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray

You're a good dudester. When i read posts like yours i get this warm fuzzy feeling about SMF. :D

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

There is absolutely no need to apologize Murray! I merely assumed that because the boar's hair is usually larger diameter and non pyramidal (equal diameter along it's entire hair shaft length) that it would be more prickly than a badger hair, even a cheap one. I'm glad that you let bot Dave and myself know the very strange fact that a good quality boar's hair brush can be softer than a cheap, but still more expensive compared to the boar's hair, badger hair brush. I too love these forums for exactly this reason! Murray was even kind enough to send me a PM informing me of his reasons for his post and that it contradicted my advice! What a guy! =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ !! Thanks Murray! Man I really love this place!

Warmest regards, Niksa
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Interesting info here. Never thought of a cheaper brush possibly making my acne worse. I was thinking about brushes and prices earlier today and was remembering people mentioning Proraso boar brushes were ok. Never heard of Omega till now.

Does anyone know if I can get them in a store or do I have to order off the net? I know people in different areas have different stores. The main stores around me are Meijer, Target, Kroger, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart. Any of those store have them? If not name a store anyway I may have it here and not know.