sampler pack, 1st blade

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rdr1-1

sampler pack, 1st blade

Post by rdr1-1 »

Just had my shower and shave, and after receiving my blade sampler pack today, I was itching to go! The sampler pack included
5 x merkur
5 x gillete platinum
5 x gillete silver blue
5 x derby
5 x wilkinson sword
5 x treet
5 x nacet
I opted for the derby tonight and my first impressions are good, Im very impressed, anyone got any views on the other blades? thanks :)
Wet shaving is a godsend!
Daniel
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Yes. Try them yourself. :D

Seriously, the reason for these samplers is that some men hate the same blade that is a favourite for others. Don't listen too hard to what anybody says; just go for it.
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Is that the same sampler pack I have seen mentioned here from that westcoastshaving site? If so I will be ordering one soon as well.
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

notthesharpest wrote:Yes. Try them yourself. :D

Seriously, the reason for these samplers is that some men hate the same blade that is a favourite for others. Don't listen too hard to what anybody says; just go for it.
Agree...this is completely a personal thing. After hearing people rave about feathers, derbys, israelis, etc., I found that the only blade that worked for me is the Swedish Gillette. Other people don't care for them, though. So it looks like you got your work cut out for you.

Kenton
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

DoughDave wrote:Is that the same sampler pack I have seen mentioned here from that westcoastshaving site? If so I will be ordering one soon as well.
no Dave,
rdr1-1 is located in Wales so he probably got a european sampler.
the sample pack from westcoastshaving goes as follows:
5 or 10 of each:
Merkurs
Crystals (Israeli)
Derbys
Swedes (Gillette)
Feathers

His sample pack looks pretty sweet though...
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
rdr1-1

Post by rdr1-1 »

does seem nice so far, im new to the art of wet shaving, and my god, its made shaving such a pleasure, I look forward to it now! Ive purchased a merkur HD Geo F Trumper coconut shave cream, the sampler blades, and I have a new brush made by vulfix on the way and an alum block, shaving has never been so good. Cant beleive it took me so many years to decide to leave my bloody cartridge razor!!! anyone want to buy a mach 3 turbo and 3 blades???? :lol:
Daniel
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rdr1-1 wrote:anyone want to buy a mach 3 turbo and 3 blades???? :lol:
Keep it for when you're in a hurry, or for travel.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Hey rdr1-1
you should put your name on your signature so we dont have to call you rdr1-1
anyway, you can post it on the selling/trading forum
you never know, someone wanted a gillette fusion just last week so there is always hope
see ya 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
rdr1-1

Post by rdr1-1 »

cheers for the advice steve, done it now
Daniel
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

Most people like to work with the sharpest last so you use the sharpest blade when you technique has improved. Although any blade might or might not work for you. I would suggest a week or two per blade in the order below. If one blade feels terrible, try another. If the blade still doesn't work for you, set it aside & move on; you can of course revisit the blade later but I have found some blades just don't work for me.

Recommended order

Wilkinson
Merkur
Nacet
Derby or Treet Carbon
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue

Paul
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com