newbie checking in...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DrumDawg

newbie checking in...

Post by DrumDawg »

I would like to thank you guys (and the guys at B&B and ME) for this subculture interest in DE shaving.

I have to admit, i was excited about shaving this morning for the first time since I first started shaving (which was a while back).

I had gotten to the place where I hated shaving.

So this morning I started the journey of DE shaving with:

My Men-u synthetic brush (until my badger brush comes in)
William mug shave soap
Merkur HD
and Derby razor blade

(since someone will wanna know, i used every man jack face scrub as a pre; and men-u face cleaner as a wash; and after my shower used men-u after shave to finish up).

It added about ten minutes to my morning routine, but was a lot of fun.
I made it through with no nicks, no cuts, and no irritation. and the thought that my technique SUCKS. I figured it out on the last third of my shave, so that part feels great, but the first two thirds feels like a cross between electric shave and my normal fusion shave; ill do better next time.

I just wanna say thanks to all you guys for sites like these; that encouraged me to start; and enjoy shaving again; at least for one day.
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Hi Drum-

Welcome to SMF. You're joining a great group.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi DrumDawg - Welcome!

That sounds like a very good first DE shave! With time, your technique will be gradually refined and you will attain the sweet victory of DE wetshave mastery!

Glad to have you here -

- Murray
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Hello Drum,

Welcome to the forum. You sound like you're on your way to great shaves. To get things going on the last third of your "first" shave is commendable. You will get better as you go along. I like to tell the guys here that "it ain't rocket science"! Use common sense and let your brain take over. Relax and enjoy your shave.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

Welcome to SMF! Lots of great info and advice here.
Chris
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Welcome aboard Drum. Feel free to look around and ask a question if you can't find the answer.

Good luck and keep us updated.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to the group. I am sure you will find this a fine place to be.

Nuttin' like a good shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Welcome to the board DrumDawg!
congratulations on your new discovery of something old.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Change to a non-scrubbing product for a nicer experience. The razor scrapes your face enough already - no need to add more. (Regular soap, or a wash product with no exfoliant, is fine.)
sebell

Post by sebell »

I agree, using an exfoliating scrub as a pre-shave
could be at best counter-productive. You can use
it as a regular weekly exfoliant, but stick to soap
before your shave.

- Scott
mattjs85

Post by mattjs85 »

I agree with those above that say to try it without the pre-shave scrub, I used everyman jack for awhile then tried it without and found there was no difference.

Also, are you shaving before your shower? Mentioning that you used the aftershave after your shower to finish up leads me to think that you are. You should try shaving after the shower, it softens the beard.
DrumDawg

Post by DrumDawg »

actually i seem to do it differently than most

i actually shave in the shower.

get in get all soaked; then wash my face (or use the preshave); then shave; that method gave me my best shaves previously and much less fazor burn and nicks/cuts

and it seems less messy to me, ha ha
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi DrumDawg -

There was a recent thread about shaving in the shower here, with responses varying between "Don't ever do it!" and "That's the only way that works for me!" You might poke around and see if you can find it. As always, YMMV.

I used to shave in the shower with a Schick Tracer and shampoo or soap on the beard. This worked way better for me than using lather out of a can. Using proper lather works even better, however, in or out of the shower.

- Murray
DrumDawg

Post by DrumDawg »

Day 2

(i promise i wont do this for every day that i shave this way);

but since i got so many responses, ill thought i would update you;

i NEVER and i mean NEVER shave two consecutive days in a row; i tried it once early on in life and paid for it for a week.

so this was definitely new ground for me.

but i was still VERY excited; such a weird concept for me, excited about shaving.

i preshaved with plain face cleanser (every man jack before shave and men-u after the shave; not aftershave, but you get the idea).

what a difference having the right angle makes; i had the blade at 60% yesterday (the handle close to my face) rather than at 30%; i interpreted the angle wrong yesterday; so today, did it more correctly; still no nicks, no cuts; a lil irritation on the neck; but i can live with that since i shaved on a consecutive day.

so; thanks for the hints; ill update you again after i change blades.

ps thanks for the encouragement on staying with what works for me;
stevewales

Post by stevewales »

hello mate and welcome from a fellow newbie..