No longer a slave to the Mach 3!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ZForce915

No longer a slave to the Mach 3!

Post by ZForce915 »

I just recently decided to shart shaving with a Merkur classic (marked as #178 on the box and online) because I was tired of spending $35 for 20 mach 3 razors.

I read a little bit about shaving and gave it a shot today, it looks like all went well. I have it a pretty easy, I only needed to shave my neck area because I'm sporting a beard until the Packers win the Super Bowl!

I will start with a question though, what is the proper way to clean (daily, weekly, monthly) a double edge razor?

And a more newbish question, is the purpose of the double edge razor to be able to shave with two strokes before rinsing or is there something I'm missing?
Currently using:
Merkur 178 with regular shave cream (Edge Gel)
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

I would guess that the majority of members here clean their razors (at least superficially) after each blade change. That frequency seems to be around five or so shaves.

As far as the two sides, I use one until it is full of lather rotate 180 degrees and repeat, then rinse. Normally I can shave half my face (neck, cheek, etc. before I rotate) then I rinse, and repeat. Honestly, DE shaving, while it seems more involved is actually more minimalist than I would have imagined.

By the bye, welcome aboard.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Welcome to the board Zforce!
As far as cleaning a DE razor goes here is the way that I go about it. I shave all week doing nothing but rinsing my razor after the shave. When I toss out my spent razor blade I take some scrubbing bubbles and spray down my razor and let it set a few minutes. Then I take an old toothbrush to it cleaning real good under the head, the handle and so fourth. Then simply rinse, dry and put away. This method has been working really well for me and my razor still looks as new as when I got it. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Wow, you guys put me to shame!

I only occasionally clean out my razor, certainly MUCH less frequently than every blade change. Maybe every few months.

When I do, I more or less follow Big Swifty's approach, although probably plain old liquid dish soap and a toothbrush would work fine.

Honestly, I wouldn't obsess over scrubbing it all the time, unless it makes you feel better. The razor will certaily perform just fine with only an occasional scrub out.

As far as the two sides question, I'll give a +1 to Jeremy.

Good luck and I hope you will enjoy DE shaving!
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

BeatlesFan wrote:Wow, you guys put me to shame!

I only occasionally clean out my razor, certainly MUCH less frequently than every blade change. Maybe every few months.

When I do, I more or less follow Big Swifty's approach, although probably plain old liquid dish soap and a toothbrush would work fine.

Honestly, I wouldn't obsess over scrubbing it all the time, unless it makes you feel better. The razor will certaily perform just fine with only an occasional scrub out.

As far as the two sides question, I'll give a +1 to Jeremy.

Good luck and I hope you will enjoy DE shaving!
I'm put to shame too then.

A three piece like the classic is very easy to clean though - no annoying nooks and crannies like (for example) the Progress, or a Superspeed. I generally use some sort of counter top or bathroom cleaner and a soft cloth. I may well use a toothbrush next time the cleaning mood comes over me though...
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Ive probably cleaned my razor...once during the last year I used it. That was when I noticed the white soap coating on it. Scrubbed it off with a tooth brush and dish soap in about 2 minutes, looked like new again.

Dave
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

oral b electric toothbrush. I have set aside a brush especially for cleaning my razor. The two minute timer on it is enough to get all soap scum off. The small head gets into all the hard to reach places and with the oscillating bristles, you can see the soap flicking off before your eyes. Running hot water is enough for me as well, washing off soap with soap seems a bit contradictory. after two minutes its as good as new.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

It also has to do with the hardness of the water in your home. When I visited my mother this last year I noticed that after 10 days of shaving there was no soap residue whatsoever on my razor, she has soft water. But upon my return to the very hard water of Las Vegas, after my first shave there was the usual milky white coating of the soap scum after my shave.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
ZForce915

Post by ZForce915 »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty obsessive with my things so I'm sure I'm likely to clean it after each razor change.
Currently using:
Merkur 178 with regular shave cream (Edge Gel)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm a bit more compulsive than the others in this group. I prefer a 3-piece razor because it is so easy to clean, without scum accumulating in the inner works of the razor.

I, too have a beard, and I only shave my neck and trim on the cheeks. I have had the beard for over 35 years, and I have no plans to shave it off.

I shave every other night, and I make a glorious ritual of it. When I finish, I take the razor apart, rinse off the blade and set it out to dry. The 3 pieces of my Gillette Tech razor only require a rinse to get them clean, and I dry them off. When the blade is dry, I put the razor and blade back together, poised for the next shave.

- Murray
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I did indeed use a toothbrush to clean my Progress on Sunday (in preparation for the new blade, etc.). A toothbrush and a shot or two of a nice smelling counter-top cleaner (Mrs. Meyer's Rose Geranium) and it looked as good as new, including in the awkward to reach parts. Awkward to reach parts on the Progress would be everywhere except the handle.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

BeatlesFan wrote:Wow, you guys put me to shame!

If you have hard water problems, soap scum can accumulate quickly and may require frequent cleaning. I have soft water, and very rarely need to clean my razor or brush.