Thoughts on Lather

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Killian85

Thoughts on Lather

Post by Killian85 »

I can definitely say without reservation that there is a direct correlation between the quality of lather you produce and the quality of your shave. The quality and comfort of my shaves keep getting better all the time and with that, I'm making some great lather. Mind you, I only use 2 different creams to reduce the variables. I've had some days where the lather wasn't so good and even with a very careful technique, the shave suffered as a result. There some things about the lather I'd like to pose to everyone here.

First has to do with keeping your lather warm. Warm lather feels great. I wasn't thrilled about getting a scuttle so I decided to put together my poor man's version of it. I bought a large plastic bowl at the local dollar store, filled it about three quarters of the way, then placed my lathering mug into the water. Does a beautiful job of keeping the lather warm for the whole shave and frees up the sink to rinse off the razor and my face when needed. I was concerned that the plastic might not handle the hot water but it has done great so far. Only thing I did notice is that the lather tends to dry up faster this way. Now it could be that I didn't hydrate it enough to begin with, but I'm curious about other people's experiences with it.

Second deals with your lather going cold after a few minutes. Since most of us do more than 1 pass, do you really feel your shave suffers if you don't keep the lather warm? Personally, I can't detect a difference. For me, it's more about comfort than anything. It seems like a good lather will perform even if it's not at that perfect temperature for the whole shave.

I'd be curious to hear everyone's thoughts on these items.
Alan

"Crime does not pay ... as well as politics."
Alfred E. Newman

The Double A Lounge
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

There is no difference between warm and room temperature lather. I gave up the scuttle around 8 months ago, I can't detect a difference. Like you said, the quality of lather is most important and lack of scuttle (and keeping the lather in the brush, not the bowl) will help keep the lather more consistent throughout the shave.
Richard
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Thoughts on Lather

Post by notthesharpest »

Killian85 wrote:I can definitely say without reservation that there is a direct correlation between the quality of lather you produce and the quality of your shave. The quality and comfort of my shaves keep getting better all the time and with that, I'm making some great lather. Mind you, I only use 2 different creams to reduce the variables. I've had some days where the lather wasn't so good and even with a very careful technique, the shave suffered as a result. There some things about the lather I'd like to pose to everyone here.

First has to do with keeping your lather warm. Warm lather feels great. I wasn't thrilled about getting a scuttle so I decided to put together my poor man's version of it. I bought a large plastic bowl at the local dollar store, filled it about three quarters of the way, then placed my lathering mug into the water. Does a beautiful job of keeping the lather warm for the whole shave and frees up the sink to rinse off the razor and my face when needed. I was concerned that the plastic might not handle the hot water but it has done great so far. Only thing I did notice is that the lather tends to dry up faster this way. Now it could be that I didn't hydrate it enough to begin with, but I'm curious about other people's experiences with it.

Second deals with your lather going cold after a few minutes. Since most of us do more than 1 pass, do you really feel your shave suffers if you don't keep the lather warm? Personally, I can't detect a difference. For me, it's more about comfort than anything. It seems like a good lather will perform even if it's not at that perfect temperature for the whole shave.

I'd be curious to hear everyone's thoughts on these items.
Freezing cold lather wouldn't feel good, but I find shaving with room-temperature lather is just fine. I use a heavy mug to soak my brush in hot water for half a minute, and that mug by itself keeps the brush warm enough for me.

Overheated lather goes bad for sure. If you're going to keep it warm, don't overdo it.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't think the temperature matters.
Regards,
Squire
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

While I am in complete agreement with the temperature of the lather doesn't change the shave quality per se, warm lather for me is quite luxurious. I go to great lengths to ensure my lather is warm and stays warm for the entire shave. For me it increases the depth of the fragrance and makes the shave more relaxing.

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Warmer lather dries out quicker as you say. When I am building
the lather on my face I definitely like it to be quite warm but I
just leave it on the brush as is for future passes.

- Scott
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have in the past worked to get my mug extra hot so the lather would be nice & warm on the last pass. Not only did it dry out the lather, but it actually changed the texture so it was no good to shave with.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

For me, warm lather is a matter of the comfort/soothing feel of it against my skin. Using my traditional scuttles, I have the water level high enough so that it just touches the bottom of the top reservoir, which, when I place my brush in it, slightly moistens the brush and lather. The result is warm lather that doesn't dry out.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
giammi

Post by giammi »

I did not notice differences in the shave quality based on cold/warm lather.

But I prefer a warm lather on my face for the sake of comfort - it increases my shaving mood.

But I noticed, that the same setup with different qualities of water yield to a different lather result.
Mr. Spacely

Post by Mr. Spacely »

jww wrote:For me, warm lather is a matter of the comfort/soothing feel of it against my skin. Using my traditional scuttles, I have the water level high enough so that it just touches the bottom of the top reservoir, which, when I place my brush in it, slightly moistens the brush and lather. The result is warm lather that doesn't dry out.
+1
----------
Scott
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

How do you guys feel about the opinions expressed in this old thread?

I like the water to be as hot as I can get it, and now I'm wondering if the lather has suffered in any way because of it.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have found my bathroom tap water gets it as hot as i need. and my scuttle helps a lot to keep the warmth throughout my shave

my lather doesnt dry out and if and when it does its because i didnt totally make it right.

marc
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Lotsa dust on this thread, but as far as lather goes I see no difference.

As far as I go, I detest cold lather, did too much of that and I had no choice, but I do now, and I choose not to do that ever again if I can help it.

In the summer, 104°F, in the winter 130°+ F for my hot towel face prep, and the same for the lather. But it cools off since I don't have a scuttle.

But I do enjoy my hot shaves! Just not for any quality that it imparts to the lather.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I went about 3 years of hot water shaves with my little Japanese scuttle (barber-cup) they call it. Then I got a brush that was too large for the little cup and I abandoned it, almost a year ago. I've lost all interest in it now. No biggie. I just enjoy the lather as much as ever.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

For me the lather temperature is of no importance. My usual procedure to shave is wash my face, leave it wet. Then rub the Palmolive stick to face. Then go load my shaken brush with the bowl, usually Tabac soap. And go face lather for the brush to build it.

I don't rinse my face between my 2 passes or the final touch up pass or dip the brush to sink. I like my lather creamy and not too moist.

The KISS principle: Keep it simple stupid, just works for me.
Jarmo
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I would like to try a brush scuttle and I'm on the search for parts. Maybe a small SS cocktail shaker for the brush and to conduct the heat, and "something" to hold the wtare and hold the cocktail shaker.

I think hot lather might be nice in the winter and I won't know unless I try it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Since my post in 2008 I received a Moss Scuttle and now use it every shave except when I travel, in which case I take a coffee mug usually found in hotel rooms and let it sit with steaming hot water in it (sometimes I'll boil it in the complimentary coffee makers found in my room). Once empty it will keep the brush warmish for me sufficiently long enough to do a 2-pass shave.

Warm lather and cool/cold Maine mornings are a wonderful treat. I have experienced that myself a few times. :wink:

BTW -- that's a carbide scraper this salty dog claims to shave with according to his blog. Not 100% confident of the veracity of his claim, but it sure makes for a good story and fun pics. :D
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yeah, from the looks of it, it's quite apparent that he's enjoying a nice clean shave every morning. :P
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Yeah, from the looks of it, it's quite apparent that he's enjoying a nice clean shave every morning. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Looks like he's getting ready to hibernate.
Regards,
Squire