HMMM? some interesting results when I changed things up...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ahopki01

HMMM? some interesting results when I changed things up...

Post by ahopki01 »

Alright, so I have been shaving with a DE razor for the last week and half or so with very varied and mediocre results. With the weekend approaching , I decided that I would give my face a rest. Well today, I decided to chop down the few days growth I had accumulated. After I showered, I decided to change things up. I tighten my superspeed all the way, and then undid it about half a turn to make the blade (derby) go more aggressive (a tip I picked up somewhere on here.) Well, with my first pass, the blade took off the considerable amount of length very easy. My other passes, with the blade still in this aggressive state, didnt seem as effective, and gave me fewer, but some rough nicks. My neck, which has always been a rough spot, has received the best shave yet. not bbs, but the best yet. Is this because my face was given a break, or bc of this new method? If my shaves are better b/c of the new blade method, does this mean that I need a more aggressive blade for better quality shaves?
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

are you talking about the method suggested by the early gillette instructions?
ahopki01

Post by ahopki01 »

D.Irving79 wrote:are you talking about the method suggested by the early gillette instructions?
yes i believe so...retract the TTO knob a quarter/half turn..
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

i may have to revisit this now. the first time i tried this it didnt turn out so good.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I wouldn't say your experiment calls for a more aggressive blade so much as perhaps you should consider an adjustable razor.
Regards,
Squire
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

i still want to retry this. i think my problem last time was i opened the knob too much, leaving a lot of room for the blade to shift.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fellows I don't think a blade that's even a little bit loose is a good idea.
Regards,
Squire
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

squire youre probably right, hell you are right, i just want to do it so bad.. hahaha :lol:

the thing that makes it not work (or dare i say, not work AS WELL), is todays blades are MUCH thinner than the early gillette blades.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

On twist-to-open razors, this is just a dangerous move, with little benefit. A bit like loosening the lug nuts on your truck wheels so you can get a little tighter turning radius.
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

notthesharpest wrote:On twist-to-open razors, this is just a dangerous move, with little benefit. A bit like loosening the lug nuts on your truck wheels so you can get a little tighter turning radius.

so my head might fly off?? :shock:

:lol:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

D.Irving79 wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:On twist-to-open razors, this is just a dangerous move, with little benefit. A bit like loosening the lug nuts on your truck wheels so you can get a little tighter turning radius.

so my head might fly off?? :shock:

:lol:
You never know... :lol:
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

You may want to try a Gillette Red Tip for more aggression or a Slant. I'm with Squire in that shaving with a loose blade can become dangerous.

Just a thought.

Bill
Don't think......shave.
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

i personally want to do it for the nostalga of it all :D
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

D.Irving79 wrote:i personally want to do it for the nostalga of it all :D
For the nostalgia, you need a three-piece razor where this technique has a better chance of working.
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

i wouldnt use anything else for it :D

i cant even imagine using a non adjustable TTO razor for it.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I'm definitely going to give this a go. Next time I need to turn a truck around in tiny circles, anyway.
For the razor, I'd go with a shim rather than a loose head.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire wrote:Fellows I don't think a blade that's even a little bit loose is a good idea.
Look at this old thread I found!

I still remember my third DE shave more than four years ago. My first shave was terrible, but my third was even worse. When it was finished, I discovered that my Weishi TTO was not completely closed. I can vouch for Squire's wise advice!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's very interesting that Dominic mentions using a shim. The only other guy I've ever seen mention it is Brian (shadowsdad).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

The bit about blade thickness (older are thicker) is also interesting.

The house in which I currently live was built in '64 ... I have remodeled my kids' bathroom and am currently remodeling my master bath. When I tore out the old medicine cabinets and sheetrock, I found huge piles of old Gillette DE blades in the wall cavity. I used a shop-vac to collect the blades (I had horrific images of what would have happened to my hand had I reached in ...).

I did my kids' bath about 5 years ago - before I was into DE shaving - and threw out a load of used blades (not that I would have kept or used them).

Whilst on my current endeavor I found a few blades and decided to keep one for posterity. If I can remember I will pull out my mic and measure its thickness, then measure a modern blade.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I normally shim my 3 piece razors. In fact I have a shim in each one just waiting for the next time a blade is loaded. It's safe and makes the razor a bit more aggressive. FWIW, 2 shims actually makes a Tech useable; no really, as hard as that is to believe I swear it's true.

I have done the slight loosening of the TTO mechanism, but that didn't last long since it doesn't like to stay in place.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square