Now that's using your head !!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
fish

Now that's using your head !!

Post by fish »

Hey guys !!

Today I started shaving my head for the first time.

The initial shave took a very long time because the hairs were getting clogged up between the MACH 3 blades.

Now that I have a smooth head, should I use the same lather and shave in the shower when I am shaving my beard ImageImageImage

Since I am new to DE shaving, I will avoid using the DE on my head until I master that razor.
---fish--- Image
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Fish,
Yes indeed you can use the same lather on your head that you use on your face. It feels really nice to use your brush to lather your head also. I tried using my DE on my head but I have better luck with a fusion or the headblade.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
fish

Post by fish »

Big Swifty wrote:It feels really nice to use your brush to lather your head also.
That's what I was afraid of - I'm already addicted to shaving! ;)
Big Swifty wrote:I tried using my DE on my head but I have better luck with a fusion or the headblade.
I am not brave enough to use the DE on my head.

I had to buy another fog-free mirror today because my good old one has a permanent haze after many useful years - so I bought a bigger one that holds two razors (I will need it). :mrgreen:
---fish--- Image
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

You can certainly use the same lather. I sometimes shave my head at night so I can take more time. When I shave my head in the shower I use Headslick for convenience.

My weapon of choice for the noggin is the Headblade with the 2 blade cartridges from Atra.
Chris
fish

Post by fish »

I just realized how much money we save from the shampoos, hairsprays and wasted time with the hair dryer.

A few guys I know just started growing their hair back!

I suppose I'll get tired of this like everyone else. :roll:
---fish--- Image
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Fish!

I've been shaving my head for a few weeks now. Tried it a few years back with an electric. This time, I went with the blade. After a few so-so shaves with disposables, the Ape suggested the headblade. What a great product!

I use the sensor blades in it, and once you got the feel down, it is a great, great shave.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Well, I'll be the first to veto the headblade. I've tried it with 2 blades & 3, regular, and sport, and every one clogged. If you clogged a mach 3, you're going to clog a headblade.

I usually use my old Fusion (you can rinse the hair out thru the back) or my wife's lady bic (seems the lady version has wider blade spacing.

If you shave your head everyday, you might be able to use the headblade, but if you go every few days, like I do, it will clog.
fish

Post by fish »

Jefe wrote:If you shave your head everyday, you might be able to use the headblade, but if you go every few days, like I do, it will clog.
I skipped shaving my head this morning.

I need to compare the growth rate of my head with my face/neck, so I am going to grow a mustache to compare the growth rate to determine how frequently I need - then shaving the mustache will be done.

One thing I know, I do not want to irritate my head as I sometimes do with my neck.
---fish--- Image
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Jefe wrote:If you shave your head everyday, you might be able to use the headblade, but if you go every few days, like I do, it will clog.
Use one every other day.... sometimes every third day. No clogging problems here.
~Greg
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I use a headblade sport (the one with wheels) every other day also and I have had no clogging issues either.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

fish

Post by fish »

That's what I suspected !!

I don't need to shave every day - got it !! :mrgreen:
---fish--- Image
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I've been shaving every day. Never a clog with the sensor blades...of course, the clogging issues would be with the blade, not the razor. And Atra blades tend to clog more, anyhow...

Anyone else remember the push button to unclog the hairs?

All the best,
Jack

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Big Swifty wrote:I use a headblade sport (the one with wheels)...
Same here. I don't like the regular model one bit. It just does not operate as smoothly as the sport. Those wheels on the sport make a world of difference.
~Greg
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I use a Headblade Sport ever couple of days and no problems with the blade getting clogged.
Chris
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Chris,
Do you use the Headblade double or triple blades or do you use one of the adapters for Atra or Sensors?
~Steve

fish

Post by fish »

Hey guys, my computer is in the shop (I am posting on my iPod Touch).

I shaved my head this morning with my DE (big mistake) followed by my MACH 3.

I need advice on where to buy a headblade.

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:
---fish--- Image
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Fish,
Any Walgreens, CVS, Rite-aid, Sav-on, Eckards or other major drug stores carry them. I have also seen them at Albertsons and Vons here in Vegas. I would definately suggest one and you won't be dissapointed.
~Steve

fish

Post by fish »

Big Swifty wrote:Fish,
Any Walgreens, CVS, Rite-aid, Sav-on, Eckards or other major drug stores carry them.
OMG!! Those headblades are expensive!! :o
---fish--- Image
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

$12.99 I'm guessing...
~Steve

paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Kmart has them for about $12. They are worth the investment.
Jack