Shaving the neck area

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
scaryshoes

Shaving the neck area

Post by scaryshoes »

I know that since I have been DE shaving for nearly a year now, I should probably have this figured out...but how do you guys go about tackling that difficult spot, the neck area. My whiskers in that region seem to be much coarser, and don't seem to repond well to DE shaving without irritation. Do you guys get a BBS shave in that area or just "go for par"?
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by drumana »

Well, in my opinion, BBS is over rated so, just go for par. The neck is a difficult area to shave and everyone has their tricks. For me, the neck area was OK, and then when I started using a Slant bar razor it became no problem at all. Remember the cardinal rules: beard growth directions, no pressure, proper angle... good luck
-Andrew-
Killian85

Post by Killian85 »

First thing I had to learn is that below my jaw line, the skin cannot handle as much. Second thing was being careful of my growth pattern. Third was understanding that I don't need to apply more pressure with fewer passes but less pressure and more passes. I'm getting great results now. I can even do ATG which I thought for sure would never happen. There are times where it feels like I'm hardly touching the razor to my skin, but that's when the results are the best.
Alan

"Crime does not pay ... as well as politics."
Alfred E. Newman

The Double A Lounge
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Shaving the neck area

Post by notthesharpest »

scaryshoes wrote:I know that since I have been DE shaving for nearly a year now, I should probably have this figured out...but how do you guys go about tackling that difficult spot, the neck area. My whiskers in that region seem to be much coarser, and don't seem to repond well to DE shaving without irritation. Do you guys get a BBS shave in that area or just "go for par"?
My opinion: after you learn the basics of shaving, you have to learn the particulars of your own neck, what it will handle and the best ways of shaving it. Directions and angles are always a big factor, since the neck and its whiskers keep changing in both categories at once.

I feel that I know approximately how to get a BBS shave on my neck, but it involves the risk of irritation. For that reason, I go easy. At the first sign that today's shave might not go perfectly, I back off and leave a little skin for tomorrow. :D
tone

Post by tone »

good advice so far, another technique worth trying is the one that works for me. Just go in one direction from the jaw down, be it top to bottom, side to side etc. Mine grows in about 6 directions but was getting so complicated it was irritating more so now I do two passes (n2s, side to side) and touch ups and it's perfect.

try it, it might work for you

Tone
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Killian85 wrote:First thing I had to learn is that below my jaw line, the skin cannot handle as much. Second thing was being careful of my growth pattern. Third was understanding that I don't need to apply more pressure with fewer passes but less pressure and more passes. I'm getting great results now. I can even do ATG which I thought for sure would never happen. There are times where it feels like I'm hardly touching the razor to my skin, but that's when the results are the best.
I second Alan's statement about pressure and the number of passes. I get no irritation on the top 2/3s of my neck but at the bottom I get irritation very quickly. I first figured out the direction the hair was growing in that area and then began using little or even negative pressure. To my surprise the irritation got less and after some practice I get no irritation on the lower neck most days. And I get a BBS shave nearly every day.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
cymric

Post by cymric »

Neck is indeed a tricky bugger. At first I did a double N-S pass followed by a more or less ATG one without paying much attention to hair growth. But this isn't very comfortable with short stubble. So gradually I fell into a WTG - XTG - ATG pattern which, when executed carefully without bearing down, leads to a nearly irritation-free neck. But it took many weeks of carefully figuring out what stroke would have the desired effect. On my right jaw I can do ATG along the jaw, towards the chin, to clear it of stubble. On my left this only works to about halfway; then I must use upward strokes in the direction of my ear...

Basically, the technique evolved over time, and if there is any trick to it is has to be a general recommendation to be persistent, to take things slow, to not bear down, to feel extensively around your face after every stroke so you can judge its effectiveness, and to stick with a known good cream or soap. It can be wise to momentarily switch to a softer and more moisturising product for the duration of your studies.
tone

Post by tone »

another thing you can try although possibly quite lengthly is to keep a journal of EXACTLY what you do each shave. And I mean literally every single change of blade angle, change of direction with/against/across the grain and then log exactly what kind of irritation you get. You can then easily eliminate any passes that lead to redness/bumps etc and try the next one.

I did this until I tried the method I outlined above and then stopped as it's not going to get any better.

Another thing that was difficult to get my head around was sometimes on for example a short ATG stroke it might actually feel too harsh or like irritation waiting to happen but at the end there is no redness at all if you had the right angle and pressure. It was also overcoming these nerves and not being afraid to just go for it that led to great shaves on my neck.

Thanks

Tone
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All good advice above. I would add that pressure and blade angle become all that much more important when shaving the neck. Moving the razor independently (i.e. by flipping the wrist rather than moving from the elbow or shoulder) or pressing down too much by mistake can make all the difference between a good shave and a not-so-good shave of the neck.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fish

Post by fish »

All solid advice here - I am paying very careful attention. :mrgreen:
---fish--- Image
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

The above is all excellent advice. You might also consider trying J-hooking and/or the Gillette Slide. The hair on my neck goes all over the map and for those days when I'm shooting for something better than par, I find these help get me there.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
fish

Post by fish »

Thalay Sagar wrote: You might also consider trying J-hooking and/or the Gillette Slide. The hair on my neck goes all over the map and for those days when I'm shooting for something better than par, I find these help get me there.
I am slowly learning and am experiencing better shaves each time.

I like your approach.

I did try the J-hook and the blade-buff this morning with the MACH 3 - the result is that I have a closer shave - and I reduced the number of passes from 3 to 2.

The less passes, the better. :mrgreen:
---fish--- Image
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fish wrote:...
The less passes, the better. :mrgreen:
I don't know that I would be so quick to agree with that concept. I like the 3-pass shave, and find it much better than two passes with blade buffing. ymmv.
Wendell

cymric

Post by cymric »

fish wrote:I did try the J-hook and the blade-buff this morning with the MACH 3 - the result is that I have a closer shave - and I reduced the number of passes from 3 to 2.
From what I understand of Mantic's video on blade buffing is that it means shaving a tiny area a number of times repeatedly. That means a significant though local increase of passes... I think I'll pass for this idea :)
fish

Post by fish »

cymric wrote:From what I understand of Mantic's video on blade buffing is that it means shaving a tiny area a number of times repeatedly. That means a significant though local increase of passes... I think I'll pass for this idea :)
Actually, blade buffing is the last resort.

I got better results from the J-Hook and the reason it works is because you keep the blade in one spot (the area with more difficult to cut hair stubble) and you apply the technique.

While my neck is not BBS, it is much closer than a typical shave (of course ymmv). 8)
---fish--- Image
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I find that I don't need b-bing on my neck but do use it on my chin and jaw line. On occasion I do the "j-hook" on the area just below the jaw and it works nicely. Takes a bit of practice though, as you can take a chunk of skin off with either.
Wendell

Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

For me I can stand a WTG and ATG on my neck area, although if my blade is near EOL I sometimes get a bit of razor burn.

But normally with a good blade I find the neck not a problem............now the chin that's a different story

Aren't you all glad that we are so different

Cheers
John
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

Thanks to all for the great advice :!:
Anthony

God is good all of the time.